Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
Sure, but this is people complaining about the solution to the problem that they're complaining about.

You guys ought to be mad at apple for not switching iPhones over to USB-C last year. Not at them for switching iPads to it this year.
That’s what I was saying a few posts up. They should have made this move with the phone also because it was fully capable.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Question, do you guys know of any power adapters that feature 2x USB PD ports?

I’ve wondered the same thing. I would suspect that there aren’t any 2 port USB-C chargers because if they could charge at the full specification, the charger would get very hot or need passive or active cooling. TBH, I don’t know this but it would be a lot of power in a small package. A quick search didn’t find anything.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Problem solved. It even uses figure out 8 cable for the back so if you are going to one country or one area e.g mainland Europe you can get a figure of 8 cable to match the country you are going to and travel light.

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-5-ports-usb-c/A2053111

4 2.4A usb A ports 1 USBc that supports usb-pd (the standard for all apple USB c devices)

Same one I've been using - works great for the mix of devices I have, including the 10.5 iPP.

Reactions: whitedragon101

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Thus far, usb-c has been great and I haven’t even used the new charger or cables yet because I use a MacBook Pro and I have 3 usb C chargers and cables all over the place at 30W or greater. So I just go to work and use my charger which is just sitting on my desk. My MacBook is using a Dell USB-C thunderbolt station and so i have two USB-C chargers connected to my Mac (mac chooses the highest power of the two and uses that one). So this works out for me.

I’m also loving the fact that my office has USB-C connectors in all meeting rooms so i can connect my iPad to show some information. Without going to my computer which might not be with me at the time.

Reactions: jschu22

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’ve wondered the same thing. I would suspect that there aren’t any 2 port USB-C chargers because if they could charge at the full specification, the charger would get very hot or need passive or active cooling. TBH, I don’t know this but it would be a lot of power in a small package. A quick search didn’t find anything.
I do wonder whether heat is such a huge issue considering multi-port 60W adapters are fairly ubiquitous. Perhaps something like 2x 30W USB PD might be technically feasible (albeit relatively expensive)?

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I do wonder whether heat is such a huge issue considering multi-port 60W adapters are fairly ubiquitous. Perhaps something like 2x 30W USB PD might be technically feasible (albeit relatively expensive)?
Weird no one has really figured this out fully yet ... I now have a USB-C to lightning cord for my iphone, USB-C for my ipad and USB-C apple Watch cable ... thats 3 USB-C items to charge when I travel at the minimum ... my 4th is my macbook pro which I could technically plug everything into there and one USB-C power charger to it ... but thats quite cumbersome ....

I do have a USB-C spare battery that is also a wireless charger so I could technically get by with that for iphone and another device but still one short

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I know it was ridiculous to buy the USB-C to lighting port cable for the iPhone to get fast charging, but if you did buy it, that’s nice you can use it to charge your iPhone from your iPad.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I think the need for adapters or bricks or whatever is dying. I just came back from a trip and the plane had usb ports and the hotel had them all over the place. I mean everywhere....in the lamps, the alarm clock, the desk.....

All these hotels might have to change this stuff over to usb c in a few years or we will all need to hold onto our dongles...

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I tell you, if 2019 iPhones don't have type c I'm gonna be pretty unhappy

Seems unlikely. I imagine they'll keep Lightning for all the "small" iOS devices: iPhone, AirPods, Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, BeatsX, Apple TV remote, etc..

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Think it’s wishful? Thinking for other gadgets to switch from lightning. Apart from perceived ease of use there aren’t any advantages I can think of, not like giving it to the new iPads.

My bet is Apple eventually drops lightning on the iPhone and replaces it with small wireless charger in the box. It will let them get one inch closer to their vision of a featureless slab of glass...

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The horror! I’m not going to be able to go to sleep now after reading this.

Reidan

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I bought 3 29 watt USB C power bricks, 3 USB C to Lightning Cables, and 3 USB C to USB C cables. So 1 for home, 1 for work, and 1 for laptop bag. Can use this arrangement to charge my iPhone X, iPad Mini 4, both existing iPad Pros. And once it arrives, my iPad 12.9.

Have also ordered some Dual USB A and USB C from AT&T, but they have not arrived yet.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I bought 3 29 watt USB C power bricks, 3 USB C to Lightning Cables, and 3 USB C to USB C cables. So 1 for home, 1 for work, and 1 for laptop bag. Can use this arrangement to charge my iPhone X, iPad Mini 4, both existing iPad Pros. And once it arrives, my iPad 12.9.

Have also ordered some Dual USB A and USB C from AT&T, but they have not arrived yet.
I didn’t know the 29W was still available. I have one which I have been using with my series 1 12.9 iPad Pro. I was going to purchase another for the series 3 12.9 iPad Pro but noted instead they now sell the 30W.

Reidan

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I didn’t know the 29W was still available. I have one which I have been using with my series 1 12.9 iPad Pro. I was going to purchase another for the series 3 12.9 iPad Pro but noted instead they now sell the 30W.

I ordered them off of Bestbuy website. Had them in stock for immediate shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.