Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjalex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
I have a t.bone microphone SC440 connected to my M1 Mac Mini directly to its USB port. Here's its page https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_sc440_usb.htm

In my Mac's sound settings that input device is cranked up to the maximum input volume for that device.

I am using the Voice Memo builtin app to expriment.

If I speak almost touching the pop guard the voice levels are recorded fine and the quality very good, but if I am at 30cm the levels are lowish and the sound quality less ideal.

Can I do anything to get to use the mic with good quality from slightly further away?

Totally ignorant about audio my friends, be patient! :)

Would an audio interface help? I only see the ones with an XLR input.

Thanks in advance

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Just to answer the second half of your question, no an audio interface wouldn't help. Not with a USB microphone anyway. Unfortunately I can't directly help because I have never used a T Bone microphone or even heard of one.

If you must have a USB microphone rather than a normal microphone with TRS or XLR plugged into a separate audio interface, then personally I'd stick to buying microphones from well-known transducer mfrs like Audio Technica, RØDE and Blue Yeti.

jamesdean74

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
I would highly recommend a Universale Audio Volt 276 audio interface, fantastic sound quality at an affordable price, allows you to connect 2 XLR/ 1/4” mics/instruments, includes all the cables you need to connect to either a computer, iPad or iPhone,and the sound quality is excellent, I’ve been enjoying mine for a few years now. They also have Volts with less or more inputs.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Just to add contextual clarity to @jamesdean74's suggestion, and accepting that I'm partly repeating myself from post 3, your existing USB-only microphone (I assume it's USB only?) will NOT connect to an audio interface. As well as an audio interface you would also need a regular dynamic or phantom-power condenser mic that connects to the interface via TRS or XLR.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
That mic has a cardioid pickup pattern which means it will greatly reduce the volume of input from the sides and back. Have you checked to be sure you are recording in to the “good” side of the mic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.