Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Here is what I am doing. I have a ICOM IC-7300 radio. I uses USB for its computer interface. I am adding a module to add an receive RF output to go to an SDRPlay RSPdx. This way the SDR gets its signal direct from the radio, automatically switching it out when I transmit.
What I want to do. I have 2 computers. An Mac Studio, and a Windows 10 PC. On the Mac side I have SDR Control for the 7300, and SDRconnect for the SDRPlay. On the PC side I have Win4Icom for the 7300, and SDRuno for the SDRPlay. I want to switch between the two computers. The PC software at this time is much, much better than what I have on the Mac. SDR Control as Rig control software at least works, but Win4Icom completely out classes it right now. SDRconnect is in development and is getting updated continuously, But SDRuno on the PC is much more mature.

I want to connect the 7300 to both computers. What I would like is a splitter the does not require a switch to connect the radio. But a switched USB splitter would be OK. The radio in and 2 USB cables out one to each computer.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
“Splitters” don’t work with digital devices. Amazon has quite a few simple USB switches.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“Splitters” don’t work with digital devices. Amazon has quite a few simple USB switches.
Thanks, I have alway used Hubs or Docks. The ICOM IC-7300's USB computer interface is totally obsolete, it has a USB-"B" output. . The other radios in its family use ethernet connections.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
This also solved another part of this problem, no room for 2 keyboards and mice. I purchased 1 USB it and 2 out switch for the radio, and a 2 computers in 4 out switch so I can use my Keychron Keyboard with the PC.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Yes, I was thinking of the transceivers.
The 9700 is an Icom transceiver. It’s the VHF/UHF/23cms equivalent of the 7300. You couldn’t get any closer relation to the 7300.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say other radios in the family are Ethernet. All current Icoms come with a USB socket on the back that provide audio and cat interfacing. There’s nothing obsolete about it whatsoever. The same goes for all current Kenwood and Yaesu radios, it’s the primary interface.

/edit - but back to the question, I don’t think it’s possible to do what you want and share the usb output to two computers.

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
ICOM Radios have had a USB port since the ICOM IC-756Pro III. When you are using Rig control software being able to use an Ethernet connection is considerably faster. I use Win4Icom. FLDIGI, WSJT-X, GridSquare. SDRuno on the Windows side. SDR Control-ICOM, FLDIGI, WSJT-X, GridSquare, and SDRconnect on the Mac side. I have an Radio Panadapter module installed on the IC-7300 which an SDRPlay RSPdx will take its signal. As for sharing the USB output to 2 computers, yes you can with a USB switch. As for obsolete, yes, the ICOM is USB 2.0 that is a 20 year old standard. If it had 3.0, or 3.1 it would work so much better with rig control software like Win4. Why doesn't ICOM use a newer standard, 2.0 is a royalty free standard, they would have to pay royalties for the use of one of the newer standards on each radio. Just like no license fee's on the USB-B connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.