Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I just realized that I had this setting toggled off (or maybe I just never toggled it on). I’m not really clear on what it does exactly. Can someone please explain it to me? I’ve been able to use Apple Pay with my cards just fine.

Settings < Wallet & Apple Pay < Use Apple Pay When Available

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The description is right below it. "Your saved cards in Safari AutoFill will be verified with payment networks for compatibility with Apple Pay."

It basically means that if you have any cards saved in Safari AutoFill and use it on a site, it will check to see if the card is compatible with Apple Pay. If it is, the site will be given a virtual card number instead of your actual one. It has nothing to do with Apple Pay contactless payments or sites that do natively support Apple Pay. This is for sites that don't support Apple Pay, but you still want the security and protection Apple Pay provides.

Taken from https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/data/en/apple-pay:
Safeguarding Safari Payment Methods
To help safeguard your payment methods on the Apple ecosystem and take advantage of the benefits of Apple Pay privacy and security, your supported Apple Pay payment methods from Wallet will also be available in Safari Autofill. When shopping online with Safari Autofill, for websites, you can set up a virtual card number to hide your physical card number, if supported by your participating card network and issuer. To enable this functionality, Apple will send limited information about your payment method to your network, which will generate a virtual card number for your use when shopping online with Safari Autofill. To manage your Apple Pay card numbers, including virtual card numbers, go to the back of your pass in Wallet and tap to see Card Information. You may also help to safeguard payment methods already in Safari Autofill by paying with Apple Pay or a virtual card number rather than your physical card number. To manage, go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay and tap Use Apple Pay When Available. When enabled, limited information about your saved card in Safari Autofill necessary to verify eligibility for Apple Pay will be sent to your payment network for verification. If your payment network indicates the card is eligible, Apple will add the payment method to Wallet and your network will generate an Apple Pay card number for enhanced online shopping protection.

Whyy

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2022
Thanks for explaining that @iStorm! I occasionally shop on sites that don’t take Apple Pay so I think that’s a great feature.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
The description is right below it. "Your saved cards in Safari AutoFill will be verified with payment networks for compatibility with Apple Pay."

It basically means that if you have any cards saved in Safari AutoFill and use it on a site, it will check to see if the card is compatible with Apple Pay. If it is, the site will be given a virtual card number instead of your actual one. It has nothing to do with Apple Pay contactless payments or sites that do natively support Apple Pay. This is for sites that don't support Apple Pay, but you still want the security and protection Apple Pay provides.

Taken from https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/data/en/apple-pay:
Is this only for supported banks? I can use Apple Pay but this virtual card feature for non Apple Pay supported websites doesn’t work. It only fills in my actual card details.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Is this only for supported banks? I can use Apple Pay but this virtual card feature for non Apple Pay supported websites doesn’t work. It only fills in my actual card details.

Correct. Your card issuer needs to support virtual card numbers.
When shopping online with Safari Autofill, for websites, you can set up a virtual card number to hide your physical card number, if supported by your participating card network and issuer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.