Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

estockme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I just picked up a used ipad air (5th gen). I'm happy with it and the condition seems basically brand new - no scratches on screen or body - but as I was looking it over I noticed something: At first I was just seeing some gunk in the seam as i'd expect from any used gizmo - but when i went to try and clean it out with my thumbnail it slipped right under the screen near the power button and began actually prying the ipad open.

After noticing it I realized I could do this pretty much anywhere around the top edge and corner, but when doing iphone screen replacements in the past this has been very difficult to achieve. So i'm wondering if i should be alarmed by this (it was sold as 'like new, barely used'), or just leave it alone.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
That sounds like shoddy repair job to me, tbh.
I had a look at my iPads just now and the only thing I could possible get my fingernail under is the screen protector.

So, I'd guess it's either a borked repair job or maybe a bad battery that's starting to swell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.