Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You could deal with the company or the FBI and "other agencies" - our world was pretty clear-cut and something we signed up to (literally).

Nope. If you work for a company that deals with PII and/or HIPAA information and something like that happens you certainly can be fired and even face legal charges.

National security data - absolutely legal charges, with the most extreme penalties.

Reactions: mackcat

mackcat

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
My apologies for my reply which I realize now was rather rude. It seems there were circumstances which I did not take into proper consideration. The prospect of being forced to hand over a personal device due to someone else's screw-up just rubbed me the wrong way. I suppose that's one of the reasons not to mix personal and work devices, at least when there's potentially classified or confidential information involved.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
It comes down to this. AT&T owns the iPad's and iPhones their employee's use. AT&T also owns the sim cards in those devices. AT&T has the right to monitor those devices. Firstly the iPad's are to never leave the AT&T stores. But their company owned phones can go home with them. Secondly you will get caught. AT&T QIR will catch you. You will be called in by them. It will cost you your job.

So if you think you can get away with it, go for it, but do have another job lined up.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I suppose that's one of the reasons not to mix personal and work devices, at least when there's potentially classified or confidential information involved.
Exactly. And even if you don’t deal with that kind of data there’s still all kinds of other risks involved with mixing personal and work stuff. It’s just not worth it. Just don’t do it.

akbadwolf

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
I have an enterprise issued iPad 5th gen (2017) cellular model with AT&T service. I’m considering purchasing an iPad Pro personally, and am wondering if there would be any issues putting my employers SIM card into a personal device? Would it notify them in any way?
Many larger companies have a "BYOD" Bring Your Own Device" policy for work. You have to let follow same security protocols as the company uses on their owned machines. Just be aware that everything you do would or could be monitored.

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Many larger companies have a "BYOD" Bring Your Own Device" policy for work. You have to let follow same security protocols as the company uses on their owned machines. Just be aware that everything you do would or could be monitored.
Are you sure? My device won’t be supervised - which is how I believe they can audit my usage etc. I’ll only be using their network SIM card for mobile broadband access

Soccerrick10

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2019
In my company, moving a SIM card from a company device to one that doesn’t have their protective software installed is a violation of company property usage and punishable by termination. Their provided devices have software they consider vital for protecting their confidential property and take that position very seriously.

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
In my company, moving a SIM card from a company device to one that doesn’t have their protective software installed is a violation of company property usage and punishable by termination. Their provided devices have software they consider vital for protecting their confidential property and take that position very seriously.
I got permission from IT. They’re cool with it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I got permission from IT. They’re cool with it.
Just because you got verbal consent doesn't mean that proceeding is a wise thing to do. You can still end up in trouble. Verbal consent from an IT person is not the same thing as explicit consent in writing from the company itself, that enumerates all the conditions thereto. Proceeding forward still puts you at risk regardless of what another employee told you in passing. You have been advised numerous times not to do it for several valid reasons. And yet, it seems you had your mind made up early on you would proceed regardless of what many in the thread have warned about.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Just because you got verbal consent doesn't mean that proceeding is a wise thing to do. You can still end up in trouble. Verbal consent from an IT person is not the same thing as explicit consent in writing from the company itself, that enumerates all the conditions thereto. Proceeding forward still puts you at risk regardless of what another employee told you in passing. You have been advised numerous times not to do it for several valid reasons. And yet, it seems you had your mind made up early on you would proceed regardless of what many in the thread have warned about.
Don’t get your feeling hurt, Apple Robert. We all really appreciate your opinion. It wasn’t in passing, I got it in writing from the head of enterprise mobility team. He reiterated that many other employees do this already and I created the thread before I got written permission. I work in sales and have no proprietary on device applications. Everything is web based.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Don’t get your feeling hurt, Apple Robert. We all really appreciate your opinion. It wasn’t in passing, I got it in writing from the head of enterprise mobility team. He reiterated that many other employees do this already and I created the thread before I got written permission. I work in sales and have no proprietary on device applications. Everything is web based.
My feelings aren't hurt. You should make facts more clear when you have them. Having written consent is much better for you, although it still leaves you open for problems. If you want to proceed, go ahead. It really doesn't make sense to me why you would do this, when the company has provided you a device to use.

I won't belabor my point any more. I will leave my post where it stands and move on. Good luck.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Fair enough but I’m sure they’d want me using their supervised device for business purposes vs my own.
You ask your employer. If they say yes and tell you in writing, you do it. If they say no or refuse to tell you in writing, you don't. It's the kind of thing that can serve as an excellent excuse if they need to say lay off some person in a team of 10. "Who do we have any dirt on? " "There's jonjames who is suing his company Sim card on a private phone".

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
This is news to me. There is no IT that I know of for AT&T. My wife works for AT&T and has repeated to me it is a company violation and they will terminate your position. Please heed my words.
No @firedept , my company's IT department (head of enterprise mobility) emailed me saying that it's perfectly fine for me to put my issued iPad's SIM card into a personal device for mobile broadband access - and that many other employees already do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.