Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
I use Windows on my work computer and also have another Windows laptop at home and always use a PIN to login instead of a password. Even at the first login screen appears.

I know that macOS does use Touch ID which I use, but still have to know my login password every time I boot up from my MacBook. Maybe it’s because FileVault is turned on.

But I would wish Apple would add a PIN to login even right after when the Mac is powered on at the first login screen.

Don’t see no point of using Touch ID when I still need to enter my password even at the first login screen.

I always shut down my Mac after using it by the way.

Does anyone think or might know if Apple might do the same for an option to login with a PIN even at the first login screen like Windows Hello?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don’t know how Windows works, but I know Macs. You have to enter your password after start to unlock the Secure Enclave. TouchID works fine after that.

If you want a PIN, change your user password to whatever you want.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Do I understand correctly that your question is basically "can Mac password consist of a few digits only?" As @chabid already said, yes it can.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Yes, correct. Can my login password be a numeric PIN only and then I can still use Touch ID after that?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Yes, correct. Can my login password be a numeric PIN only and then I can still use Touch ID after that?
Try changing your password to numeric digits only. Is it accepted?

If it's accepted, try using Touch ID. Do you see any changes?

Nothing is irreversible here. If digits-only is rejected, then you have the answer. If digits-only is accepted, you can test Touch ID. If it behaves in a way you dislike, you can go back to using a password that's more than digits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.