Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
I'm sorry for making a dedicated thread. But Adobe CS6 is still quite important for many Mac users. I'd like to consolidate all problems related to using the entire Adobe CS6: Master Collection – not just Photoshop CS6 – with the final macOS Sierra release in this thread. Please share your experience so far.

For example, there are reports about problems with InDesign and Illustrator.

propspain

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
I'm sorry for making a dedicated thread. But Adobe CS6 is still quite important for many Mac users. I'd like to consolidate all problems related to using the entire Adobe CS6: Master Collection – not just Photoshop CS6 – with the final macOS Sierra release in this thread. Please share your experience so far.

For example, there are reports about problems with InDesign and Illustrator.

Hi! My problem is that I've installed a clean copy of MacOs Sierra and now I'm unable to install any of the CS6 programs. I'm looking for some information to fix it but with no luck :(

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
No self respecting pro should be staying with CS6. Subscription arguments are invalid and appear to come almost always from pirates. If someone is a pro, they should business expense their software and enjoy the benefits of Mercury engine and other improvements.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
No self respecting pro should be staying with CS6. Subscription arguments are invalid and appear to come almost always from pirates. If someone is a pro, they should business expense their software and enjoy the benefits of Mercury engine and other improvements.

Please, just stop. If cs6 does everything you need it to do then theres no reason to upgrade, whether you think that makes someone a 'self respecting pro' or not.

Getting back to the question at hand, yes it does install and seem to work on sierra just fine (assuming you have the java plug mentioned above)

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Please stop. If a new version has better GUI acceleration and fixes vital bugs...excuses are invalid

Well smart guy, I work in an office with several extremely talented pro editors. On some of the systems we have the latest adobe suites, but on others we're waiting on the next lease gear so they're stuck on premiere 5.5. None of these pro editors have a real problem editing with 5.5

You obviously judge yourself by the tools you use. Guess you never heard its not the tool that makes you an artist, but how you use it.

Speaking of 'tools' .... oh nevermind

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
So impressive...if only you knew...

Well all I can tell you is that the opinion you express could only come from a place of inexperience with real pro editors. That friend, is what I 'know'.

If you happen to work with real pro editors who claim they cant get their work done without cc2015, then I ask you, what indispensible feature does cc2015 have that without it, makes 'pro' editing utterly impossible?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Well all I can tell you is that the opinion you express could only come from a place of inexperience with real pro editors. That friend, is what I 'know'.

As a beta tester for Adobe for the last 15ish years alongside the world's top professionals I think you should re-read your posts. Especially when you are older and wiser and have respect for the amount of input Adobe gets from the most experienced users.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
As a beta tester for Adobe for the last 15ish years alongside the world's top professionals I think you should re-read your posts. Especially when you are older and wiser and have respect for the amount of input Adobe gets from the most experienced users.

Right, so all the amazing work done by incredibly talented people over the years using premiere 5, 5.5, 6, cc 2013 and cc 2015 is now clearly 'amature' work since it wasnt created using cc2015.

Maybe if you re-read your posts right now you'd realize how YOU sound. But that may be giving you too much credit.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Right, so all the amazing work done by incredibly talented people over the years using premiere 5, 5.5, 6, cc 2013 and cc 2015 is now clearly 'amature' work since it wasnt created using cc2015.

Maybe if you re-read your posts right now you'd realize how YOU sound. But that may be giving you too much credit.

Ok keep upgrading your OS and not your productivity software #genius

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
Please stop. If a new version has better GUI acceleration and fixes vital bugs...excuses are invalid

We are getting off topic here!

However, since this is often a recurring debate, I'd like to elaborate: I am pro, and of course I payed for my CS6. There are many professional freelancers and creative departments still working with CS6 or older. Labeling most CS6 users as pirates is equally invalid. Professionals also like to respect their expenses. I work daily with Illustrator/PS/InD and often use Premiere and AE. Flash is obviously dead, Fireworks was never my favorite, and has been discontinued anyway. But I haven't seen any great value in newer CC versions since the infamous subscription-only switch. Mercury engine was already available for AE in CS6.

I don't know which improvements are there in CC you're so excited about. For my daily workflow, I haven't heard of any. Well, Photoshop got art boards, maybe that is ... ;) However, I'm not willing to throw extra money for that singular feature on a monthly basis. The GUI hasn't changed much since CS3. The new "features" are mostly gimmicks to me. Speaking of acceleration: e.g. Premiere is still slower than FCPX. :D

Like robeddie said, the (latest and greatest) tool doesn't make you a great artist automatically.

The only benefit I see in switching to CC eventually is mobile apps. But Adobe hasn't demonstrated great innovation there yet. The best drawing tool on an iPad is procreate, and that's not from Adobe (yet?). My personal impression is, that since CS has gone CC subscription-only, Adobe lost track of innovation due to lack of pressure from potentially upgrading customers. Can subscription-based business models slow down innovation progress and new "killer features"? I believe so.

Affinity does interesting things nowadays. Who knows, maybe their software will be the "gold standard" for creative departments in a near future. Time will tell. Our media consume habits are on the verge of change; it is unclear whether Adobe can keep up with the innovation pace in the media creation realm.

For now, CS6 is still a satisfying tool, for which we've already payed a lot, and would like to continue using it in macOS Sierra. :)

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
We are getting off topic here!

However, since this is often a recurring debate, I'd like to elaborate: I am pro, and of course I payed for my CS6. There are many professional freelancers and creative departments still working with CS6 or older. Labeling most CS6 users as pirates is equally invalid. Professionals also like to respect their expenses. I work daily with Illustrator/PS/InD and often use Premiere and AE. Flash is obviously dead, Fireworks was never my favorite, and has been discontinued anyway. But I haven't seen any great value in newer CC versions since the infamous subscription-only switch. Mercury engine was already available for AE in CS6.

I don't know which improvements are there in CC you're so excited about. For my daily workflow, I haven't heard of any. Well, Photoshop got art boards, maybe that is ... ;) However, I'm not willing to throw extra money for that singular feature on a monthly basis. The GUI hasn't changed much since CS3. The new "features" are mostly gimmicks to me. Speaking of acceleration: e.g. Premiere is still slower than FCPX. :D

Like robeddie said, the (latest and greatest) tool doesn't make you a great artist automatically.

The only benefit I see in switching to CC eventually is mobile apps. But Adobe hasn't demonstrated great innovation there yet. The best drawing tool on an iPad is procreate, and that's not from Adobe (yet?). My personal impression is, that since CS has gone CC subscription-only, Adobe lost track of innovation due to lack of pressure from potentially upgrading customers. Can subscription-based business models slow down innovation progress and new "killer features"? I believe so.

Affinity does interesting things nowadays. Who knows, maybe their software will be the "gold standard" for creative departments in a near future. Time will tell. Our media consume habits are on the verge of change; it is unclear whether Adobe can keep up with the innovation pace in the media creation realm.

For now, CS6 is still a satisfying tool, for which we've already payed a lot, and would like to continue using it in macOS Sierra. :)

Back on topic ... I pulled out my old copy of cs 5.5, installed just fine on sierra and seems to work just fine.
If SoyCaptain is a long time beta tester for adobe, we can at least give him a nod on that count since this software seems as solid and stable as it did in snow leopard.

Reactions: Supman

roadkill401

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2015
Ok keep upgrading your OS and not your productivity software #genius

If Apple could write a decent OS that isn't fundamentally flawed and forced the users to upgrade just to get a working OS then we wouldn't have an issue.

I am so glad that you have a bucket of money and can splash it around to keep paying Adobe for the updates that will never get used.

I have already paid the thousands for CS3, CS4, CS5 and finished with CS6 with no real need to go beyond that. The Photoshop works with my Camera and I have no need to upgrade that hardware. The Illustrator does all that I need it to do. My terrific designer is still using CS4 with his MBP 2008 and produces superb work. I designed my web site just fine with DreamWeaver. I have no need to spend more money to gain nothing.

The problem is not really Adobe, but Apple for

1. Forcing everyone to upgrade to newer versions of OSX as since the death of Steve, the QC has been non existant
2. Not fixing the bugs that you have in your past OS rather rely that everyone will move to the next itteration
3. Not supporting the past software such as Java6 because of the prior two points in the current OS

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
If you're not here to offer constructive advice or ask a question related to CS6 usage on macOS Sierra, then you shouldn't be commenting in this thread. We don't have to justify our reasons for choosing not to switch to the new subscription style. This thread could be very useful to all those waiting to upgrade to Sierra based on CS6 compatibility (myself included), so please don't hijack it just to throw your opinion in our faces.

Klmcconnell77

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
If you're not here to offer constructive advice or ask a question related to CS6 usage on macOS Sierra, then you shouldn't be commenting in this thread. We don't have to justify our reasons for choosing not to switch to the new subscription style. This thread could be very useful to all those waiting to upgrade to Sierra based on CS6 compatibility (myself included), so please don't hijack it just to throw your opinion in our faces.

I'm sorry, subscription doesn't work for everyone, every business, every workflow, etc.

I've worked in the printing industry since 1997 and have computers older than you likely are. One of my machines dates back to 1987, another 1993, another 1999; all functional all have different OS', and different software. The oldest machine runs plates for our press. That's it, it does nothing else. Others run pagemaker, quark xpress 3, the earliest version of extended suitcase, the 99/G-5 machine runs a dual OS. 9/10. Running quark 4/ pagemaker, illustrator 5 (I believe it is) photoshop 6 (I may have the two swapped), then on OS X on the same machine quark 6, Adobe cs2, pagemaker (first OS X version before they combined it and indesign to one program), freehand mx, and a newer version of extesis suitcase. Then I've got newer machines ranging from 2003 to my newest of 2016, each has a rhyme and reason. But there is no reason to pay a monthly subscription when cs4 works just fine, why fix what ain't broke? It would cost millions of dollars to rework our workflow; plus the cost of updating all the client work to the newest software, if they are not willing to pay for it, we certainly are not doing it free.

You are thinking about it solely from either (a) freelancers point of view or (b) large company who can afford to make these type of huge changes without affecting their bottom line or having or having to lay off employees, or worse hire employees for a short term project to only be laid off in a year, when the system is so much more efficient 5 -additional employees have to go with them.

I work for one of the few small businesses who would give the shirt off their own backs before laying off an employee, because they actually care that we have families; lives; mortgages; and know that most of us are one paycheck from being homeless.

So yes, there are good reasons for some to know if CS3, CS4 or even CS2 are compatible.
[doublepost=1476784245][/doublepost]We even have some clients whose art is not in a computer at all, their type is done by a traditional "typesetter" using lead type.

We have a windmill press, 4 Heidelberg letterpresses, then several offset presses a 1/c, 2//c, 4,/c and 7/c.

Some of the art I have dates back to 1937, it was hand drawn by the (2) owners great grandfather, type was was then set by their grandmother, and it went to print (by their grandfather). It was a 3 person shop then.
The clients have the same theory we do, if it's not broken, why fix it?, so why put the art in the computer when we have the original films? Yes we've archived the film by scanning the original to a computer copy, but no matter what, you cannot achieve that same hand drawn look from a computer generated version - even using the original films as a base to copy from. Same with lead type, you cannot produce the same look on a digital or offset press that you can from a letter press.

There is a craft that is completely under appreciated and taken for granted since every third grader and sally home maker can buy photoshop now.

I spent thousands on my software when I was in school. Subscriptions are just a way to continue getting more more more money, you pay 100x what you paid for the software with a one time payment. It's like always renting an apartment or leasing a car you'll never own it.

Last edited:

Philocetes

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2016
I switched hardware and used the apple migration tool to copy my stuff to a fresh install of el cap. I think I have adobe cs5. It came across ok in general, but I had to do the exercise of downloading the older version of java. After doing that, it ran ok. The reason I mention this is that the app gave a specific error message indicating the missing version of java. I am curious if sierra is ok with cs5, but not curious enough to perform an upgrade exercise to see what happens.

I see somebody was able to get cs5.5 going, so my guess is that cs5 is ok with sierra.
[doublepost=1476800526][/doublepost]
... and have computers older than you likely are...

I wish that were true, but unless you have some computers with a card reader and core memory... ;)

DarkProj2017

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
USA
I switched hardware and used the apple migration tool to copy my stuff to a fresh install of el cap. I think I have adobe cs5. It came across ok in general, but I had to do the exercise of downloading the older version of java. After doing that, it ran ok. The reason I mention this is that the app gave a specific error message indicating the missing version of java. I am curious if sierra is ok with cs5, but not curious enough to perform an upgrade exercise to see what happens.

I see somebody was able to get cs5.5 going, so my guess is that cs5 is ok with sierra.
[doublepost=1476800526][/doublepost]

I wish that were true, but unless you have some computers with a card reader and core memory... ;)

I am running OSX 10.8.5 and am using CS6 master collection. Is it safe to update to Sierra? Id like to know if anyone has run into any bugs. What apple migration tool did you use?

Sko

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Germany
I did that and I have the same problem: To Pen Adobe Illustrator CS6 you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime

Not necessarily. I'm using latest Java with CS5 on El Capitan following Oliver's instructions. I don't see why this shouldn't work with CS6 on Sierra.

Here's a litte helper script that automates the steps needed. See the source code in this thread.

Edit: Java 9 changed the folder structure a little bit, I've corrected the script accordingly

Attachments

• Fix Java.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,094
  • Fix Java 9.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 892
Last edited:

oreocracker

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2007
I just upgraded to Sierra 12.3 from 10.8.5. I finally got Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 and PS CS4 working. IDK if this will help anyone, but this is my experience.

PS6 was quirky and illustrator didn't work b/c of the java 6 error. I downloaded java 6 and reinstalled illustrator. They both worked after that. Then I dragged PS CS4 over from a backup HD to the Applications folder and it worked. This took me 4 days to accomplish researching and trying other methods first, so I hope this works and saves some time for some of you.

MacDesign5

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2017
I recently installed Sierra 10.12.4 and use all CS6 programs. I did install the legacy Java. The main problem I am having is that when I try to export from Illustrator it won't allow me to click on my arboards to select an artboard - that function is dimmed. This is a problem, since I work with artboards in Illustrator a lot. It is a pain to then have to take the .png or jpg into PS and crop it to the artboard I want. Any one else experiencing this issue?

Reactions: JR_YOW and demannu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.