Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
Please stop. If a new version has better GUI acceleration and fixes vital bugs...excuses are invalid

Example of why to not upgrade: The recent Kindle for mac update, version 1.20. adds some nice looking fonts. It also turns on the dedicated graphics card. Why would I want nicer looking fonts and "minus 2 hours" to my battery plus heat.

Adobe is the same. They give some new features, take away or change some old ones resulting in worst user experience.

Another example: iOS apps will give a "bugs" update and slip in new ads. Oh thanks, I really wanted this feature.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Example of why to not upgrade: The recent Kindle for mac update, version 1.20. adds some nice looking fonts. It also turns on the dedicated graphics card. Why would I want nicer looking fonts and "minus 2 hours" to my battery plus heat.

Adobe is the same. They give some new features, take away or change some old ones resulting in worst user experience.

Another example: iOS apps will give a "bugs" update and slip in new ads. Oh thanks, I really wanted this feature.

But Adobe hasn't made anything worse and your post makes you look really badly informed or misinforming. We now have Mercury Engine, liquify tool is so much better in every way, shake reduction, a new superior masking module, syncing between machines, and no performance loss. Anyone staying on CS6 is a pirate who doesn't want to pay for Creative Cloud. I have never seen a single case out of many in which this wasn't true.

Emzal92

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2017
Hi! My problem is that I've installed a clean copy of MacOs Sierra and now I'm unable to install any of the CS6 programs. I'm looking for some information to fix it but with no luck :(
Did you manage to find this out? I'm having the same problem
Thanks

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I hate how the save and place dialogs are screwed up in Illustrator CS6 now and there's no way to fix it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 9.35.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 9.35.03 AM.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 355
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 9.35.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 9.35.22 AM.png
    15 KB · Views: 365

claudia bermuda

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2017
I tried to install the Adobe Suite CS6 on Mac OS Sierra, without success. By the way, at the end of the installation process a window says something like: You still have some program open and is basically Adobe who’s trying to get you online.. (screenshot in italian but you can easily understand what I mean) _Please, do you have any suggestion?

Attachments

• Schermata 2017-08-23 alle 20.05.17.png
    Schermata 2017-08-23 alle 20.05.17.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 362

ganymedestx

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2017
Part of the problem lies in when hardware fails and the replacement hardware comes with the latest OS and won't let you back-load the OS you were working on. That is what just happened to me. My old iMac that crashed nearly two years ago, and the Macbook Pro that just crashed 11 days ago were operating on Snow Leopard, upgraded to Yosemite, and I had to load the Java 6 for that OS upgrade to reinstall both Adobe CS4 and Quark. The replacement iMac that I just received Friday came with Sierra loaded. I tried to "restore" from my latest Time Machine Back-up and during the nearly five hour process, I got the message to download and install the latest Java 6, which I did. Once the "restore" was completed, the OS was still Sierra, and neither CS4 or Quark will open, nor will my latest version of TechTools. As a senior citizen who uses these programs in my volunteer work helping a friend out with his struggling business, I can't afford to pay out thousands of dollars every time a piece of hardware has to be replaced and the installed OS requires me to upgrade to the latest versions of the software that I have been using for years. Each time that I have spent the money to upgrade Adobe, I've found so few useful improvements for what I need for the graphics work that I do, that I just couldn't justify the expense of the upgrades that would work on the latest OS. THIS is the issue that all of you stupid developers need to keep in mind, SPSC.
If any of you posters can show me the work around to get CS4 and Quark 9 loaded into Sierra, I will thank you tremendously.
[doublepost=1503838287][/doublepost]BTW, my computer guru is supposed to be here sometime today to put my old working 2.5 HD into an external enclosure and we are going to see if I can boot from that HD and work that way. I hope that isn't my only option of getting my long used programs to work. I haven't opened my MacMail yet until I get the external HD working because my latest Time Machine backup was not done just before the laptop logic board crashed (after one of our frequent power outages...the joys of living Life in the Left Lane® here in St. Croix USVI, and yes, I DO have a back-up power supply, with surge protection strips plugged into it, and our power system surges and outages will blow right through them all. That is why the business owner that I assist and I are planning to go totally off-grid once we start the property development on the acreage he bought six years ago. I'm the property manager/designer/general contractor, as well as the general manager for his three businesses located on the island while he is living in Colorado.)
If I open the MacMail before I have that HD operational, then I will lose all of my local drive saved emails that I need for my personal and the business records.
Darn, I hate having to replace hardware and all of the time lost dealing with the replacement and reactivation of the files from many years of hard work. I do have redundant data file backups on several external hard drives. I learned that lesson a few years back when I was self-publishing a monthly newspaper here in the islands...that was my most active use of Adobe and Quark...44 monthly issues of the "Always FREE, Positive, and Non-Political" community calendar publication that was also posted on the St. Croix Happenings website.

JR_YOW

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2017
I recently installed Sierra 10.12.4 and use all CS6 programs. I did install the legacy Java. The main problem I am having is that when I try to export from Illustrator it won't allow me to click on my arboards to select an artboard - that function is dimmed. This is a problem, since I work with artboards in Illustrator a lot. It is a pain to then have to take the .png or jpg into PS and crop it to the artboard I want. Any one else experiencing this issue?

I am having the same problem. I have no ability to select artboards or export them. Have you found a fix? I don't want to have to roll back my OS install, but it's a pretty important function to lose.

tmbrown

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2016
I recently installed Sierra 10.12.4 and use all CS6 programs. I did install the legacy Java. The main problem I am having is that when I try to export from Illustrator it won't allow me to click on my arboards to select an artboard - that function is dimmed. This is a problem, since I work with artboards in Illustrator a lot. It is a pain to then have to take the .png or jpg into PS and crop it to the artboard I want. Any one else experiencing this issue?
Have you had a chance to test InDesign CS6 with High Sierra? Desperate to know.

KeithC

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
I am using High Sierra public beta. After installing the latest public beta update of this week, 10.13.1 Beta (17B42a), Java for OS X 2015-001 no longer installs. At the Select a Destination point during the installation, it says that "Java for OS X 2015-001 can't be installed on this disk. A newer version of this package is already installed." And there are no eligible hard disks for installation. This worked fine under the previous High Sierra public beta. I have informed Apple (for whatever this is worth).
Has anyone experienced this AND found a solution??? Thx

jlbrown

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2009
I am using High Sierra public beta. After installing the latest public beta update of this week, 10.13.1 Beta (17B42a), Java for OS X 2015-001 no longer installs. At the Select a Destination point during the installation, it says that "Java for OS X 2015-001 can't be installed on this disk. A newer version of this package is already installed." And there are no eligible hard disks for installation. This worked fine under the previous High Sierra public beta. I have informed Apple (for whatever this is worth).
Has anyone experienced this AND found a solution??? Thx

Had same experience Keith with High Sierra 10.13.1 beta 2, 3 & 4 (build 17B45a). Worked out a solution:
1. Get Pacifist.
2. Use it to open the JavaForOSX.pkg file
3. Drag the 'Contents of JavaForOSX.pkg/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk' folder to /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines folder on your HD. Enter your admin password as required.

That worked for me. Hope it works for you.

James.

lilianna44

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2018
Please, just stop. If cs6 does everything you need it to do then theres no reason to upgrade, whether you think that makes someone a 'self respecting pro' or not.

Getting back to the question at hand, yes it does install and seem to work on sierra just fine (assuming you have the java plug mentioned above)
Do you know if this also works for CS5.5 as well?

Reactions: foliovision

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
No self respecting pro should be staying with CS6. Subscription arguments are invalid and appear to come almost always from pirates. If someone is a pro, they should business expense their software and enjoy the benefits of Mercury engine and other improvements.

Thanks but I have no wish to be bound for life to pay Adobe tax. Never.

On the other hand, I may wish to run my thousands of dollars of purchased Adobe software for another two to five years.

How many millions of dollars do I have to earn as a creative before you allow me to be a pro Captain Soybean?

Reactions: Supman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.