Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Since iOS 11 hit I have been using the dock to the point that I thought ''I wonder if anyone is using it for everything'', as it turns out someone else is: https://www.macsparky.com/blog/2017/10/home-screens-macsparkys-strange-looking-ipad

Below is my 12.9 (I have also done the same on my 9.7 Pro) the home screen is as sparse as it can get, really shows off the background wallpaper and reminds me a little of Mac OS minus the Toolbar and Trash, when in an app such as chrome it is extremely easy to swipe up, get the dock and then jump in to another app. My productivity has increased, as it is a swipe up and tap versus tapping the home button and side swiping for a few pages.

Anyone else have a layout similar?!

For me the ideal situation would be to have a few permanent widgets on the home screen, hopefully this will come with iOS 12/13.
IMG_0009-min.PNG

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2016
I don’t see the point on having an empty screen. It’s not like a desktop where you could open a small window and still see part of the background, on iPad once you’ve opened an app it’s taking the whole screen and I don’t think anyone turns on the iPad and just staring at the background image without opening some app...

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
image_zps01d47ab9.jpg

I used to jailbreak my iPad and removed the dock. Have nested folder installed. Put all my folders into one folder. Very clan setup. Only one folder sitting at the center of the bottom screen along with camera app. This is very clean setup.

If jailbreak release to the 11.2.6, then I would do the samething again.

strawberryshortcake

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2017
Bay Area, California
I don’t see the point on having an empty screen. It’s not like a desktop where you could open a small window and still see part of the background, on iPad once you’ve opened an app it’s taking the whole screen and I don’t think anyone turns on the iPad and just staring at the background image without opening some app...

It's to clear digital visible clutter. It's all mental or psychological for me. It just feels better seeing less crud.

I would like to see apple go one step further and actually allow folders as oppose to these clear square bracket organizers. I want the apps to be not visible especially if I have their bracket organizers labeled with something like "games" "documents", etc.

OjgXog1.jpg

Reactions: boston04and07

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
It's to clear digital visible clutter. It's all mental or psychological for me. It just feels better seeing less crud.

I would like to see apple go one step further and actually allow folders as oppose to these clear square bracket organizers. I want the apps to be not visible especially if I have their bracket organizers labeled with something like "games" "documents", etc.

OjgXog1.jpg

Having a ''clean'' Homescreen allows me to use a picture that I wouldn't have before due to it 'clashing' with app icons. I would like an option for things in the dock to show their name.

scottrods

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
Garland, TX
I've been doing the same on my iPhone for a couple years now as well... chop down the clutter and organize by type and organize the types alphabetically or by how often used or some other system. Each person will do things their own way, I actually have all my stuff set up kind of "in between" right now as a best case scenario. But only on my iPhone. The iPadPro is still set up by the basic format of the factory set up. There's so much room it's no big deal on there.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Don’t use photobucket, use imgur. I (and the majority) completely abandoned photobucket months ago when they decided to start charging a ridiculous price for their services. Many webpages that relied on photobucket automatic had all their images replaced with the above image.

Thanks... I registered account to Imgur... Edited the post. Thanks very much for the tip.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Having a ''clean'' Homescreen allows me to use a picture that I wouldn't have before due to it 'clashing' with app icons. I would like an option for things in the dock to show their name.
Couldn’t you simply push all apps to the second page of the home screen? On my X I keep camera and calendar on the first page (also like a clean background) and everything else is a swipe away.

Interesting idea though. I’ll have to experiment to see if I can move f on 15 folders to 4. I barely navigate through folders now anyway. Swipe down and what I want is usually sitting there in Siri suggestions or typing the first letter in the search bar brings it up. Much faster.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Might try this.

My beef with iOS 11 is combating the ridiculously complex way to do side-by-side. Let's say I have Safari open. I want to take some notes. Unless I have opened Notes recently or put it in the dock, I have to exit safari, find the notes app, open it, invoke the dock to drag-n-drop Safari back into the screen.

In iOS10, I just need to swipe from the right, and find the notes app there.

Hopefully this will reduce certain steps.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Couldn’t you simply push all apps to the second page of the home screen?

During the betas, iOS 11 didn't like having a blank front page. Every now and then it would delete the blank page and move everything to the front.

I'm thinking of doing this again. It's cluttered in the dock, but on the 12.9" iPad the row spacing for apps looks like a joke.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I tried it, but ended up going back as I didn't love the folder animation from the dock and the weird change in colors. Irked my OCD. I had probably my main 6 apps that I use and a folder just called "apps" with everything else.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Tried on the iPad 9.7. I have lot more apps and lot more folders. There is a limitation on number of folders can be placed on the dock. I have to redo all the folders.

MaxXdsX.jpg

I also have this done on my iPad 12.9 inch. Looks very clean.

Cannot wait for jailbreak comes to iOS 11.2.6

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Tried on the iPad 9.7. I have lot more apps and lot more folders. There is a limitation on number of folders can be placed on the dock. I have to redo all the folders.

MaxXdsX.jpg

I also have this done on my iPad 12.9 inch. Looks very clean.

Cannot wait for jailbreak comes to iOS 11.2.6

The limitation I believe is 13, although I have limited mine to 10 so the folders don’t get too small. I really like it as I can have a very busy background wallpaper, where as before I generally had a stock background which was rather boring.
[doublepost=1520970160][/doublepost]
So you cannot assign names to the folders in the dock either on iOS 11?

You have folder names but not under the folders whilst in the dock, the folder name appears at the top of an open folder.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The limitation I believe is 13, although I have limited mine to 10 so the folders don’t get too small. I really like it as I can have a very busy background wallpaper, where as before I generally had a stock background which was rather boring.
[doublepost=1520970160][/doublepost]

You have folder names but not under the folders whilst in the dock, the folder name appears at the top of an open folder.
Thanks for the answer. That's quite stupid from a logical standpoint.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Thanks for the answer. That's quite stupid from a logical standpoint.

It is actually not. The idea about dock is that people put their most used application in there. Since it is the most used application, users will know the icon associated with the app. There is no need for the name appear. I actually like this way, looks very nice.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It is actually not. The idea about dock is that people put their most used application in there. Since it is the most used application, users will know the icon associated with the app. There is no need for the name appear. I actually like this way, looks very nice.
I don't like it when the app name isn't there but I actually meant folders. Why can't folders have a name in the Dock? It makes sense as apps are grouped based on some criteria. If you just put apps in a folder for the sake of keeping the pages empty, then yes, it doesn't make sense. But if you use folders to group apps based on some criteria, then names are helpful. You are right on apps themselves, despite my subjective opinion that I prefer the names to be there.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I don't like it when the app name isn't there but I actually meant folders. Why can't folders have a name in the Dock? It makes sense as apps are grouped based on some criteria. If you just put apps in a folder for the sake of keeping the pages empty, then yes, it doesn't make sense. But if you use folders to group apps based on some criteria, then names are helpful. You are right on apps themselves, despite my subjective opinion that I prefer the names to be there.

Well. The dock is not designed to be used as such way. It is designed to place app in the dock. People that using dock as placeholder for their folder should accept that there will be no names for the dock.

Again... This is Apple. Apple is known for my way or highway. Apple is not known for giving user options. I would like to I have option to enable names appears

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK

Even though I have everything sorted logically - social media apps in a folder, photo editing, creative, music, video etc. I would still like the name below the folder but it’s something that isn’t a deal breaker, I still use the dock only layout and vastly prefer it to having apps across many pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.