Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Well. The dock is not designed to be used as such way. It is designed to place app in the dock. People that using dock as placeholder for their folder should accept that there will be no names for the dock.

Again... This is Apple. Apple is known for my way or highway. Apple is not known for giving user options. I would like to I have option to enable names appears
You are right. Apple almost never gives options, but it is how it is. I'd like to have some options, despite not being a "requirement" and some other options are outright necessary - such as downgrading, in my opinion - but Apple won't give any. It's the nature of the beast.
[doublepost=1520980218][/doublepost]
Even though I have everything sorted logically - social media apps in a folder, photo editing, creative, music, video etc. I would still like the name below the folder but it’s something that isn’t a deal breaker, I still use the dock only layout and vastly prefer it to having apps across many pages.
Yeah it's just I am used to having the names, and see no downside to having them. That's why I don't understand Apple not giving the option. But as I said in the other post, Apple is known for not giving options.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
This is a really interesting idea. I wish Apple would let us assign custom folder labels for folders though, instead of having them all just be squares with mini versions of the app icons inside. With my eyesight I’d never be able to distinguish between that many folders without the folder names beneath them. I actually don’t even use folders now because it’s hard for me to distinguish between them even with the names beneath them. That should really be an accessibility feature now that I think of it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don’t see the point on having an empty screen. It’s not like a desktop where you could open a small window and still see part of the background, on iPad once you’ve opened an app it’s taking the whole screen and I don’t think anyone turns on the iPad and just staring at the background image without opening some app...

The idea is that with all your apps in folders on your dock, you can activate split-screen with any app or switch apps via the dock without needing to go back to the home screen.

This article goes into greater detail.

https://medium.com/@peterxjang/optimizing-the-ipad-home-screen-for-ios-11-multitasking-40c46e3c4bb8

I tried it for a while, but found it very irritating to be constantly hopping in and out of folders. Reverted back to my pre-iOS 11 homescreen a week later.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
I tried it for a while, but found it very irritating to be constantly hopping in and out of folders. Reverted back to my pre-iOS 11 homescreen a week later.

I have a hybrid, with some art apps in folders. I might create a folder for some of the apps on my home screen as well. I do like having a blank home screen.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
At first I thought this idea was silly but I actually tried it last night. Now, I think it's kind of a cool way to go. My issue is, however, I'd have to put so much stuff in the dock that it would be nearly unusable when in portrait mode. Don't you all have this issue as well? I could put everything in folders (I'm using a bunch of different folders already) but I like to have my most-used apps outside of folders for easier access. As mentioned above, I find it annoying to constantly have to go in and out of folders.

I haven't given up yet. Maybe I just need to rethink how I organize my apps into folders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow_Servo

wyntormoon

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2018
The Ether
Since iOS 11 hit I have been using the dock to the point that I thought ''I wonder if anyone is using it for everything'', as it turns out someone else is: https://www.macsparky.com/blog/2017/10/home-screens-macsparkys-strange-looking-ipad

Below is my 12.9 (I have also done the same on my 9.7 Pro) the home screen is as sparse as it can get, really shows off the background wallpaper and reminds me a little of Mac OS minus the Toolbar and Trash, when in an app such as chrome it is extremely easy to swipe up, get the dock and then jump in to another app. My productivity has increased, as it is a swipe up and tap versus tapping the home button and side swiping for a few pages.

Anyone else have a layout similar?!

For me the ideal situation would be to have a few permanent widgets on the home screen, hopefully this will come with iOS 12/13. View attachment 754135

Oh wow, this is fantastic. Didn't even think about doing this. Cool idea!!!!

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Some great ideas in this thread! I used to have two pages of apps, but after reading this topic, I started consolidating and now I’m down to a single page at least. I haven’t cleared my home screen, but at least I don’t have to scroll through different pages, and my most used apps are down in the dock for easy access. Thanks for the ideas!

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
At first I thought this idea was silly but I actually tried it last night. Now, I think it's kind of a cool way to go. My issue is, however, I'd have to put so much stuff in the dock that it would be nearly unusable when in portrait mode. Don't you all have this issue as well? I could put everything in folders (I'm using a bunch of different folders already) but I like to have my most-used apps outside of folders for easier access. As mentioned above, I find it annoying to constantly have to go in and out of folders.

I haven't given up yet. Maybe I just need to rethink how I organize my apps into folders.

I use my 9.7 Pro in Portrait quite a bit, I have found having a maximum of 10 folders still allows me to see app icons, also the setup across my iPads is the same so after a few days I know what apps are in what folder. Although like previously discussed if Apple had an accessibility setting that allowed Dock folder naming there would be no reliance on memory at all!

I rarely use my 12.9" in Portrait.

Same here, the 12.9 is always in landscape mode!

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Which makes the placement of the front-facing camera on top when in portrait mode a puzzling decision for Apple... especially when an overwhelming majority of cases and covers (as well as Apple's) stand the iPad up in landscape mode.

That's because the iPad Pro takes the design cues of an iOS device but in practical terms a screen of that size is used in a traditional laptop/computer style format. If and when Apple do remove the home button and go to an X like design I would love them to put the notch at the top of the long edge. Then market the new large size iPad Pro as a landscape device.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That's because the iPad Pro takes the design cues of an iOS device but in practical terms a screen of that size is used in a traditional laptop/computer style format. If and when Apple do remove the home button and go to an X like design I would love them to put the notch at the top of the long edge. Then market the new large size iPad Pro as a landscape device.
Not exactly true, but that is a reasonable conclusion to draw, but...

eek7.gif

Everyone is entitled to like what they like, but I don't want a notch on any device. This fad of eliminating bezels (and it is a fad) is resulting in some poor design decisions. I'd rather deal with those ungodly, huge, distracting bezels (sarcasm obviously) until such a time that the technology is perfected to the point where the camera can sit beneath the active part of the screen.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Not exactly true, but that is a reasonable conclusion to draw, but...

View attachment 754530
Everyone is entitled to like what they like, but I don't want a notch on any device. This fad of eliminating bezels (and it is a fad) is resulting in some poor design decisions. I'd rather deal with those ungodly, huge, distracting bezels (sarcasm obviously) until such a time that the technology is perfected to the point where the camera can sit beneath the active part of the screen.

I say “love” as if I like the notch, I really don’t! My presumption is the notch is here to stay and I’d prefer it at the top of the device than having it at the side, ideally there’s no notch whatsoever.

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
I’ve done this since iOS 11 came to iPad, especially since I put my iPad in a keyboard case. Can’t believe this is being seen as some kind of revelation ... but glad to see others try it nonetheless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.