Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Lots of folks forget that Apple tried some fancy cooling tech in the immediately pre-Intel Mac Pros. Didn't end well... leaks, etc. And those weren't portable machines subjected to a lot of handling and banging-around. (As in, hell-to-the-no were those beasts portable in any way... immense, backbreaking tanks, they were. Lordy they were hunky-built. Works of art. But still they piddled.)

Now, those used liquid-based coolers, but I'd imagine that a vapor chamber would be regarded with great suspicion by Apple for the same reason, based on bitter experience. Especially in a portable device. Where the tech might not fit in the first place, incidentally.

Having said that, I use my high-spec 2018 MBP to run virtual machines. This is usage that really pounds the CPU. Yet the machine runs smoothly even with more than one VM active at a time. Best machine I've used for VMs, in fact. Unbelievably powerful. My point: no throttling is perceptible even in my extreme usage. To my eye, the whole issue is over-cooked, no pun intended.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Now, those used liquid-based coolers, but I'd imagine that a vapor chamber would be regarded with great suspicion by Apple for the same reason, based on bitter experience.

Heat pipes are also two-phase cooling systems, with liquid inside. Vapor chamber just has a different shape, but the principle of heat transfer is the same, evaporate and condensate.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
From my understanding they're more bigger and provide a larger area of cooling. They're more efficient at thermal management then heat pipes.
That's right, larger surface area where the phase change takes place so for a given heatsink size vapor chamber will outperform heat pipes, but by not as much as the size difference would suggest, because you're still limited by the die surface area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.