Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Just checking if any of you in the MacBook thread have begun to install Ventura now that it’s officially out.

I have the i5 16gb ram 512 version myself and haven’t done it yet.

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
I installed yesterday and for now is working good. The performance is similar to Monterrey and the new features like continuity camera works fine, but only portrait mode in the camera effects.. You now, Apple with his limitations.

The control panel is a little mess but I think is just a matter of getting used to.

My Macbook is a 8GB/256GB with Intel M3.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Performance on my 2017 MacBook Core m3 16 GB is very good. Lots of reported bugs though.

uffenman

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2022
Just checking if any of you in the MacBook thread have begun to install Ventura now that it’s officially out.

I have the i7 512GB 16GB MB12 and installed Ventura....works fine.

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
In the Ventura subforum there are complaints of significantly reduced battery life, but seems to be mostly M1 Macs?

I'm hesitant to go to Ventura because of this on my 2017/M3/8.

Of course I could downgrade (unlike iOS!) again, but seems like a lot of trouble for dubious benefit.
I'm always wary of these reports because after EVERY macOS general update, there are complaints of reduced battery life. Similarly after EVERY iOS/iPadOS general update, there are complaints of reduced battery life.

Then after a few point updates, those complaints become much less common.

I don't know if people are just getting acclimatized to battery issues during that period, or if it's because it's due to stuff like indexing or what not which occurs after such updates, or if it's because Apple has continued to optimize the OS during that period.

thisMRguy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
Since upgrading end of last week, its been i've been getting this screen anywhere from 5 to 30min of usage. I have the error logs saved and also sent to apple but id love to know what the error is

Macbook 12, i7/16/512.

Attachments

• IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 280

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Since upgrading end of last week, its been i've been getting this screen anywhere from 5 to 30min of usage. I have the error logs saved and also sent to apple but id love to know what the error is

Macbook 12, i7/16/512.
Bad RAM? Overheating? Have you tried booting off an earlier OS to see what happens?

I haven't had that problem (m3/16/256) on Ventura, but I haven't used it much since I mainly use my desktop.

bobval

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2015
The main problem with the Ventura is the battery, instead of 7-8 hours on the BigSur I get 5-6 hours with the same usage and 10% per night in sleep mode.

Caleb Hauge

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2021
Same for me. Mine (i5, 16GB/512GB) has gone from over 10 hours in Big Sur to roughly 4 in Ventura.

raynor

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020

Macbook 12, i7/16/512.
Same thing for me. Seems to sometimes be triggered if I streaming video like YouTube but not always. Also noticed that the startup chime goes away and I had to reset NVRAM regularly to get it back (wonder what that means?)

Either way I have finally given up and re-installed Monterey.

boxxyfied

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Would running onyx help? Just got one off eBay (2017 m3) and wondering if that might speed anything or all placebo at this point.

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
Would running onyx help? Just got one off eBay (2017 m3) and wondering if that might speed anything or all placebo at this point.
You got the same as mine. M3 2017.

From my experience with this little, i think that High Sierra/Mojave have the best performance/battery of all systems but they are now just too old.

Ventura is a no for me. Monterey runs fine but for me if you want an updated and recent OS with a good Safari, good performance and good battery (again, not the same as High Sierra/Mojave) is Big Sur.

Safari updated, much more apps compability, still get some security patches, new interface design, etc

Reactions: boxxyfied

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
You got the same as mine. M3 2017.

From my experience with this little, i think that High Sierra/Mojave have the best performance/battery of all systems but they are now just too old.

Ventura is a no for me. Monterey runs fine but for me if you want an updated and recent OS with a good Safari, good performance and good battery (again, not the same as High Sierra/Mojave) is Big Sur.

Safari updated, much more apps compability, still get some security patches, new interface design, etc
Yeah, I wouldn't run anything older than Big Sur, although my preference would be Monterey or later, and I personally run Ventura.

That said, I don't use my MacBook much since I don't travel for business anymore. For short personal travel, I take my 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (with Apple Smart Keyboard) instead.

Reactions: boxxyfied

RS125R

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013

I have the 2017 MacBook i5, 8gb ram, 512 gb SSD. Upgraded to Ventura 13.4.1 three weeks ago from Mojave. I did a clean install since I moved up four OSs. I'm impressed at the performance overall. I didn't notice anything slowing down. Battery life is good...maybe a bit less than with Mojave. I haven't noticed any drain overnight like some people have mentioned.

I do recommend a clean install in any case. I tried a standard update to Monterey a year ago and it was a disaster. All sorts of issues. I wiped the disc and reinstalled Mojave...all good again. Now that Ventura is the end-of-the-road for this model, I decided it's time to upgrade. I suggest Ventura over Monterey or Big Sur if you plan to keep you MB.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Ventura working well on my 2017 i7. Battery life is still good, getting about 6 hours or so on a charge but I tend to have the brightness about a third of the way up from the left.

Reactions: JiggyJaggy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.