Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
Same here. Currently awaiting delivery of a Studio.

(I’ve been considering upgrading to a Studio for a while now, this was the last push)

Reactions: timotie

PeteRick

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2022
  • What version of Ventura?
  • What is you configuration (Mac model, GPU, eGPU enclosure, FileVault on/off, sleep enabled, etc)?
    • MacBook Pro 16 2019 i9 IntelUHD630+RadeonPro5500M / Sonnet Breakaway Puck 5500XT / fileVault&sleep off
  • What is your overall experience?
    • eGPU turns on (blue light) but is not recognized in menu bar. In hardware settings it is shown under "thunderbolt" but not under "PCI" or "Graphiccards/Displays"
  • Does your Mac show the boot screen?
    • Yes
  • Anything else anyone wants to add to the conversation.
    • I do not know what to do? I checked all cables and connections und lots of troubleshootings... Any suugestions???

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-12 um 10.45.53.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-12 um 10.45.53.png
    375.2 KB · Views: 146

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
Starting to look into getting a mac studio to cut-out the sketchy "third-party capabilities" Apple neglects to refine.

Exactly what I've done, as I was mentioning in my previous message.
Mac Studio arrived last week and replaced the mini+egpu.

I was forced to keep Ventura on the new Studio, but things are working fine so far.
eGPU setup starts to feel a bit too "hacky" at the moment.

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
[...]
  • What is your overall experience?
    • eGPU turns on (blue light) but is not recognized in menu bar. In hardware settings it is shown under "thunderbolt" but not under "PCI" or "Graphiccards/Displays"

This is the same issue I had (sometimes) with my Mac mini, when rebooting it and having to switch to the HDMI/internal GPU because I wasn't seeing anything from the eGPU. See attached image.

In my case, a few restarts and the GPU was then recognised again.
Still, not worth the faff.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-03 at 12.04.51.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-03 at 12.04.51.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 63

timotie

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2022
Update a week later; I finally got everything to work but the computer crashes randomly several times a day and I have to restart everything. It's become a huge burden and is prolonging my daily work. Starting to look into getting a mac studio to cut-out the sketchy "third-party capabilities" Apple neglects to refine.
My finale update to this thread; my set-up, now several weeks later still crashed multiple times a day. As Apple has yet to patch this issue with an OS update, I am abandoning the eGPU compatibility of mac and switching to a mac studio. Best of luck to those that are still experiencing issues, I hope it get resolved soon.

Reactions: ponzicoinbro

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
My finale update to this thread; my set-up, now several weeks later still crashed multiple times a day. As Apple has yet to patch this issue with an OS update, I am abandoning the eGPU compatibility of mac and switching to a mac studio. Best of luck to those that are still experiencing issues, I hope it get resolved soon.

It was never a long term solution. Even on a Windows laptop there is stability problems. I think for a while a few years back users were asking for extra GPU power but that's mostly pointless now. Nvidia has developed great mobile GPUs and Apple Silicon GPU is great for Mac apps optimized for it.

Reactions: timotie

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I have a razor core X with 6900xt in my mac mini i7 6 core and its never crashed in ventura once. Its been 100% stable in that time. I did upgrade the razor X with a corsair SE-750 PSU as i hated the noisy fan on the original PSU with it, also upgraded to noctua fan, the 120mm fan in the razor core X but other than that, its been 100% stable never crashed.

I have run that set up every day and updated to the latest ventura no issues at all.

ipcwithie40

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
I have a razor core X with 6900xt in my mac mini i7 6 core and its never crashed in ventura once. Its been 100% stable in that time. I did upgrade the razor X with a corsair SE-750 PSU as i hated the noisy fan on the original PSU with it, also upgraded to noctua fan, the 120mm fan in the razor core X but other than that, its been 100% stable never crashed.

I have run that set up every day and updated to the latest ventura no issues at all.
Cool! So the problem may comes from the firmware of RX6600XT built in Ventura which is not stable. I have problems same as timotie that the system is unstable while switching screen setting, and I have almost the same set up, 2018 mac mini i5 64g ram + 6600xt. I would consider to buy another GPU testing it.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Cool! So the problem may comes from the firmware of RX6600XT built in Ventura which is not stable. I have problems same as timotie that the system is unstable while switching screen setting, and I have almost the same set up, 2018 mac mini i5 64g ram + 6600xt. I would consider to buy another GPU testing it.

I have a 6600XT running perfectly fine in 13.1 with my Sonnet box. The same Mini you do, only with an i7 in it and 1/4 of the RAM. Only thing missing are boot screens.

ipcwithie40

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
I have a 6600XT running perfectly fine in 13.1 with my Sonnet box. The same Mini you do, only with an i7 in it and 1/4 of the RAM. Only thing missing are boot screens.
So maybe it is the problem of GPU? MSI would be fine, but mine is ASRock.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
So maybe it is the problem of GPU? MSI would be fine, but mine is ASRock.

Its possible. Apple has a very limited selection of cards they say work, but the Sapphires are always way more expensive then everything else. Had great luck with two different MSI's along with a Sapphire 5500XT. Just don't get boot screens with anything but my RX570, and Im not even sure that will still have them. The 5500XT had boot screens up until one of the Monterey updates, and they didn't come back with Ventura so Im just dealing with it.

bettyf

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2023
Hello, it's my first post here. I'm having problems with Ventura. I have a Mac mini Intel which was working fine with my Sonnet Breakaway 550 and my AMD Radeon Vega 56 card from January 2020 till last year. Since last year when I upgraded to Ventura it's not working well. I tried everything. Opened the box to see if the card was not inserted in the slot, changed the cable and finally made a clean install Ventura. It started to work fine till I upgraded the two last upgrades. It's a nightmare. The Sonnet box is recognized, but the Card the system sees it's there but doesn't identify as it's name AMD Radeon, so it's not working... I with I could change for a Studio but It's not possible now. I'm desperate.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Sounds to me like your card might be having some issues.. Do you have another one you can swap out and try? The drivers are all intact with the OS, so with it not recognizing the card but seeing it, there is some communication error going on. Already swapped the cable so its leaning towards the box itself or the card..

Luckily, you have an Intel. Try clearing the NVRAM. Fixes like 99% of weird display issues heh.

Last edited:

webg3

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Hi guys, how are you? I am seriously thinking about getting an e-GPU for my MacBook Air running macOS Ventura, as this topic has been around for some time, I would like to know your opinion regarding the problems that were being presented, were they solved with the latest Ventura updates?

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Other than no boot screen, I had no trouble with my eGPU from Big Sur all the way to Ventura. Went through an MSI RX570->Sapphire RX5500 XT->MSI RX6600 XT.

Im on an M2 Pro Mini now though so the eGPU is a useless $700 lump under my desk at the moment heh.

• Wow
Reactions: webg3

iAssimilated

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Hi guys, how are you? I am seriously thinking about getting an e-GPU for my MacBook Air running macOS Ventura, as this topic has been around for some time, I would like to know your opinion regarding the problems that were being presented, were they solved with the latest Ventura updates?

Like @Monotremata , I had very little issue with my eGPU. I own both the ASUS XG Station Pro and the Razer Core X. I've used the RX 580, Vega 56, and RX 6800 XT in one or both of those enclosures during my eGPU adventures. One thing I did have to do, for stability purposes, was replace the include Thunderbolt 3 cables with Apple's TB3 cable. Before doing this I encountered the eGPU disconnecting randomly, but after the cable swap I no longer experienced this. Other than the cable issue, the eGPU was great from Mojave thru Ventura.

I don't want to think about the amount of money I sunk into this endeavor between two enclosures and three video cards. That is partly the reason I moved away from this setup, I was spending too much money chasing the next speed/spec bump with very little to gain from it (I used it to play games, not video editing). I now have a 2022 Mac Studio and I am completely happy.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
My setup has been working fine for a long time, but ever since updating to macOS 13.4, I have started getting a nasty failure every few days.

Out of nowhere, the eGPU's fans suddenly ramp up to 100%, the monitors go black, and I need to power cycle the Mac by holding its on/off button. Presumably there's a kernel panic.

My setup is a Mac Mini 2018 + Sonnet eGPU enclosure + AMD Vega 64 card.

rake_mistry

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
🇨🇦
Chiming in here with my current setup/experience in case anyone is wondering about macOS Ventura eGPU support on the 2018 Mac mini in 2024:

Upgraded from a Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB to a Sapphire Nitro RX 5700 XT 8GB card after finding a good deal locally. No longer seeing the Apple logo during boot, but I think that's expected with this card. Other than that, everything works great! No issues to report.

Was initially on Monterey after the GPU swap, then upgraded to Ventura and haven't noticed any negative performance impacts with Ventura.

My current setup is: Mac mini 2018 running macOS Ventura 13.6.3 + Razer Core X enclosure + Sapphire Nitro RX 5700 XT card

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.