Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Looks like Ventura 13.2 broke the printers. And since it occurs on both a Mini and a Studio, I assume that it is not something with my install or setup. If either are powered down, on restart they will just post "Looking for printer" when a job is sent to the queue. Happens on Brother laser and Epson EcoTank. The supposed fix is to reset the printing system, which requires a reinstall, but on power down/up, the printers disappear again.

I found that the easiest fix is to just power cycle the printers. As soon as they come back on line the job is received and printed.

Whether connected with WiFi or USB makes no difference.

Don't know if 13.3 fixes it. Almost afraid to try it. Apple's recent updates do not give a reassuring feeling that all will be well.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
this is not a common problem. what OS did you upgrade from? and are your printers are on the wifi network, or connected to usb?

make sure your printer drivers are up-to-date. and you could remove and re-add them both to the printer settings, see if that helps....

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
All I did was update from 13.1 to 13.2. On two machines. One printer is on USB, one on WiFi and most definitely both have the latest drivers. That was the first thing I did.
Changing the WiFi laser to Ethernet did not change the problem.
Moving it from the Studio to the Mini also did not fix the problem.
I have removed and reloaded printers several times in troubleshooting.

This isn't a major deal since I power down very infrequently, but it follows the trend of Ventura. I have never had a new MacOS version with so many screwy problems as with 13.x, and not only on a two year old M1 Mini, but also on a Studio which is very new and running on the OS load that it came with, plus updates.

However, more troubleshooting shows that my Intel iMac does not have the issue. It is powered down daily and never loses connection with an identical Epson EcoTank. Further, a time machine reset of the M1 back to 13.0 removes the problem. Alas, it also restores the wacko problems that came with the first release of Ventura.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
All I did was update from 13.1 to 13.2. On two machines. One printer is on USB, one on WiFi and most definitely both have the latest drivers. That was the first thing I did.
Changing the WiFi laser to Ethernet did not change the problem.
Moving it from the Studio to the Mini also did not fix the problem.
I have removed and reloaded printers several times in troubleshooting.

This isn't a major deal since I power down very infrequently, but it follows the trend of Ventura. I have never had a new MacOS version with so many screwy problems as with 13.x, and not only on a two year old M1 Mini, but also on a Studio which is very new and running on the OS load that it came with, plus updates.

However, more troubleshooting shows that my Intel iMac does not have the issue. It is powered down daily and never loses connection with an identical Epson EcoTank. Further, a time machine reset of the M1 back to 13.0 removes the problem. Alas, it also restores the wacko problems that came with the first release of Ventura.
no printer issues here (wifi) with either of my macs. call apple...!

christidal

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2024
I have a 2023 16inch Mac Book Pro (M2 chip) running Ventura 13.5. If I attempt to print from an Excel spread sheet it will only do one copy at a time regardless of the number I tell it to do. If I export as a pdf first it will do as many copies as I ask. Regardless it won't do single sided - I have to print one page at a time. There is no single sided option in the system dialogue box. Tried two different printers, result the same. The problem is definitely Ventura. Apple seem uninterested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.