Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi all,

So I just got off the phone with a Verizon representative and told me about the unlimited data plan. I called Verizon initially wondering why my 40GB a month plan did not roll over the extra 7GB's of data my family and I did not use, but the topic of conversation here is about the new VZW Unlimited Plan.

The Verizon representative said re: the new unlimited plans:

Unlimited 4G data speeds, up until each line (I have 4) uses 20gbs of data. After 20gbs of data are used, that 1 line will be throttled down but only during congested times and areas. Speeds will reduce to 3G, not 2G.

Essentially 20gb of 4G data, then reduced to 3G speeds but only during congested times and places.

I told her I wouldn't make a decision just yet because I wanted to search online for advice first. A few months ago I tried the Verizon prepaid unlimited plan and hated being throttled down to 2G speeds.

20gb of LTE 4G and then 3G speeds without worrying if I hit 50-60gb would be a dream.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Are all 4 lines in use by you specifically?
Is the 40G per month on each line or combined?
Are your phones in contract or on a device payment plan or paid off?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
2 lines for the kids, one for gf and one for me.

I normally use the most data out of anyone due to work and away from the office.

Only 1 phone is currently being paid off, an iPhone, till xmas.
[doublepost=1489695550][/doublepost]Only contractual info I've found so far on the VZW site.

Attachments

• IMG_0158.PNG
    IMG_0158.PNG
    127.4 KB · Views: 458

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi all,

So I just got off the phone with a Verizon representative and told me about the unlimited data plan. I called Verizon initially wondering why my 40GB a month plan did not roll over the extra 7GB's of data my family and I did not use, but the topic of conversation here is about the new VZW Unlimited Plan.

Unlimited 4G data speeds, up until each line (I have 4) uses 20gbs of data. After 20gbs of data are used, that 1 line will be throttled down but only during congested times and areas. Speeds will reduce to 3G, not 2G.

Essentially 20gb of 4G data, then reduced to 3G speeds but only during congested times and places.

I told her I wouldn't make a decision just yet because I wanted to search online for advice first. A few months ago I tried the Verizon prepaid unlimited plan and hated being throttled down to 2G speeds.

20gb of LTE 4G and then 3G speeds without worrying if I hit 50-60gb would be a dream.
Hmmmm…yeaaaahhhh.

Funny thing…the name of this plan sounds very similar to the name (unlimited data) of the plan(s) I've had uninterrupted since Christmas 2008.

Almost a decade of unlimited data. Imagine…

:D

Reactions: Statusnone88

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi all,

The details are at https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/12/verizon-unlimited/ and the discussion attached to that thread.

After 22 GB of data (which is per line) the line can be deprioritized when connected to a tower/cell that is congested and only for the duration of that congestion on that particular tower/cell. Deprioritizatoin doesn't really mean throttling as it can result in slower speeds, but might not result in slower speeds but just in some delays in response, and even if slower speed is involved it's not necessarily something that's set to 3G (or 2G) or anything like that.
[doublepost=1489696684][/doublepost]
2 lines for the kids, one for gf and one for me.

I normally use the most data out of anyone due to work and away from the office.

Only 1 phone is currently being paid off, an iPhone, till xmas.
[doublepost=1489695550][/doublepost]Only contractual info I've found so far on the VZW site.
Yup, those are basically the main details of the plan.

Reactions: Applejuiced

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
The details are at https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/12/verizon-unlimited/ and the discussion attached to that thread.

After 22 GB of data (which is per line) the line can be deprioritized when connected to a tower/cell that is congested and only for the duration of that congestion on that particular tower/cell. Deprioritizatoin doesn't really mean throttling as it can result in slower speeds, but might not result in slower speeds but just in some delays in response, and even if slower speed is involved it's not necessarily something that's set to 3G (or 2G) or anything like that.
[doublepost=1489696684][/doublepost]
Yup, those are basically the main details of the plan.

I hate that it's purposely vague re: speed reduction concerning both individual phone users and tethering too.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I hate that it's purposely vague re: speed reduction concerning both individual phone users and tethering too.
Well, it's not really vague regarding tethering: after 10 GB you are throttled to 3G speeds when it comes to tethering. For mobile data, it's a bit more up in the air because it's deprioritization that would only kick in in areas and times of congestion and would depend on the congestion itself (in various ways that's better than just being automatically throttled to something lower like 3G all the time basically).

atlas_0

Suspended
Dec 30, 2016
Well, it's not really vague regarding tethering: after 10 GB you are throttled to 3G speeds when it comes to tethering. For mobile data, it's a bit more up in the air because it's deprioritization that would only kick in in areas and times of congestion and would depend on the congestion itself (in various ways that's better than just being automatically throttled to something lower like 3G all the time basically).

The 10GB throttle seems to be a soft limit as well. Last month, my first month on the plan, I used nearly 100GB. The throttle only kicked in once - around 3PM, and in a more populated area. That evening it reverted back to normal.

If you're wondering, the suggestion that it's 3G speeds is also a bit deceptive - even when throttled I was still hitting around 1MB/s download speeds - note, MB, not Mb.

Reactions: rachelsgoldens

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
If you're wondering, the suggestion that it's 3G speeds is also a bit deceptive - even when throttled I was still hitting around 1MB/s download speeds - note, MB, not Mb.

On the sub-reddit for Verizon Ive seen a lot of people reference the "3G" tethering speeds you get after the first 10gb as being throttled to a max of 600kbps.

atlas_0

Suspended
Dec 30, 2016
On the sub-reddit for Verizon Ive seen a lot of people reference the "3G" tethering speeds you get after the first 10gb as being throttled to a max of 600kbps.
mine was definitely around 1MB/s download. Granted I'm in a fairly rural area without much competition for bandwidth.

All of the tethering was via my phone's hotspot.

Black05Hemi

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2015
I would like to switch from my grandfathered unlimited plan, but I don't want to lost my tethering abilities for unlimited. I need more than 10gb, as most of my data is used tethering every month. I'm wondering if I would be throttled, as I live out in the sticks. Switching to the new unlimited plan would save me $50/month.

I dunno what to do. If I give up the grandfathered unlimited, I can't get it back.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
mine was definitely around 1MB/s download. Granted I'm in a fairly rural area without much competition for bandwidth.

All of the tethering was via my phone's hotspot.

That's pretty much the CDMA average 3G speeds.
Around 1mb so its still not bad.
I think 2G/Edge speeds are horrible and miserable if you get stuck with that for a while.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
The 10GB throttle seems to be a soft limit as well. Last month, my first month on the plan, I used nearly 100GB. The throttle only kicked in once - around 3PM, and in a more populated area. That evening it reverted back to normal.

Im just going to assume that since the OP lives in LA, that all cell towers are always congested and he will be deprioritized immediately lol

Reactions: HappyDude20

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
and ATT is better? I have 4 iPhones with grandfather unlimited but switch to the new unlimited plus to save money
so my talk say unlimited (non share) the text say unlimited (non share) the data say unlimited (shared)
I called and the say its unlimited to each iPhone
so i asked that it will say too (non share) I believe they are planning a trick on us, if the don't chang it i am going to wright to the attorney general of out stat or just go to Verizon or T-Mobil

atlas_0

Suspended
Dec 30, 2016
Im just going to assume that since the OP lives in LA, that all cell towers are always congested and he will be deprioritized immediately lol
Probably. That'll be the case on any carrier in the LA area though.

Where for me, a 50 mile radius probably doesn't even have 2500 people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: jagooch

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

Probably. That'll be the case on any carrier in the LA area though.

Where for me, a 50 mile radius probably doesn't even have 2500 people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I'm two hours from LA and I know guys irl who do 150gb on Verizon and never get deprioritized here in the high desert. Santa Clarita's cellular service is terrible compared to LA tho. Some of the richer towns near LA made it impossible for companies to build towers so they can be really congested.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I have the new plan. It works like this 22gbs then you will only be slowed down if your in a congested area. Then 10gbs of 4g hotspot then 3G after that. And that's per line on the data and tethering. It's a really good plan.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
and ATT is better? I have 4 iPhones with grandfather unlimited but switch to the new unlimited plus to save money
so my talk say unlimited (non share) the text say unlimited (non share) the data say unlimited (shared)
I called and the say its unlimited to each iPhone
so i asked that it will say too (non share) I believe they are planning a trick on us, if the don't chang it i am going to wright to the attorney general of out stat or just go to Verizon or T-Mobil

They aren't tricking you, and make sure to proof read your letter.

Reactions: jagooch

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Yeah....well I want unlimited 4G LTE - not unlimited data
It is unlimited. But it might be slowed down periodically if you get in a congested area. Same as your plan now really if the tower can't hold everyone. Then your obviously gonna be a slowed down no matter what. No way around it.

GoodVibesMuslim

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2017
I just switched the this plan with my family. I have 3 lines and I'm the primary. Each person does get 22gb of data each and only the person who hits the limit gets pushed to the back during congested times and areas. I love it it's great. I don't even worry about turning on my wifi anymore.

Reactions: Applejuiced

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just switched the this plan with my family. I have 3 lines and I'm the primary. Each person does get 22gb of data each and only the person who hits the limit gets pushed to the back during congested times and areas. I love it it's great. I don't even worry about turning on my wifi anymore.
Well, WiFi can be just left on all the time and will connect to known trusted networks that you've connected to before and want to use when they are available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.