Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2021
I had to force inherited permissions on all the shares. Even though the shared connection was through a user account that matched. In Monterey, the POSIX vs ACL wasn't getting applied properly on the server. There is some software that makes applying these terminal commands related to permissions easy. It's called TinkerTool.
What exactly did you do, what settings did you apply?

jeffmikey

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2019
Fulton, MO
I could never get the "inherit permissions" command syntax right in terminal. When I migrated all of the data shares, basically redundant external drives, no one could write or edit the data. Everyone had read permissions; that part was ok. That program "tinker tool" had a GUI interface, under acl permissions, where you drag the problem share, the mounted drive folder, into the tinker tool pane and force inherited permissions on all the subfolders and files. After I did that, everyone had write/ edit privileges. My issue was a common one after researching it, but all of the solutions were done in terminal. I spent the better part of a day trying to get CLI right. Tinker Tool simplified all that!

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2021
I could never get the "inherit permissions" command syntax right in terminal. When I migrated all of the data shares, basically redundant external drives, no one could write or edit the data. Everyone had read permissions; that part was ok. That program "tinker tool" had a GUI interface, under acl permissions, where you drag the problem share, the mounted drive folder, into the tinker tool pane and force inherited permissions on all the subfolders and files. After I did that, everyone had write/ edit privileges. My issue was a common one after researching it, but all of the solutions were done in terminal. I spent the better part of a day trying to get CLI right. Tinker Tool simplified all that!
Great, but what EXACTLY did you do???

fcracer

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2017
After a doing a bunch of research it seems to be the encrypted share that's causing the issue. I purposely bought the ds3622xs+ because its had a hardware encryption module so I was hoping the encryption overhead would not be that severe but on encrypted shares I can't get much more than 250MBps. This is really frustrating because the resource monitor shows the NAS basically idle during the transfer so I wish there was some way to tell it to allocate more resources to the encryption process to speed it up. If I do an SMB copy to an unencrypted share on the same volume I get the full 1100MBps. Also reading from the encrypted share is full speed (~1100MBps), only the write operations are slowed down to 250.

Also, my first attempt at 10gb was really bad. The cables I was using were apparently broken some how. They showed a link and it appeared everything was working but my speeds were really really slow. I replaced the cables with a different more trusted brand and I was able to get max speed. I capped out at 6.5-7Gbps until I enabled jumbo frames on everything as well, that brought me up to 9.8-9.9Gbps fyi so I'd recommend doing that if your networking hardware supports it.
I have exactly the same speed issues. Only bad thing for me is that I don’t have any encrypted share folders so there must be a bottleneck somewhere else. :(

waterchill

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2016
I'm getting the same issue between M1 Max MacBook and QNAP NAS over a Unify Network. What is weird is that this issue doesn't happen with slow transfer speeds if patched directly in with a network cable to the switch. It's specific to WiFi but the connection is reporting TX Rate of 1200mbps and copying to an old Apple Time Capsule is fast. It's just when copying to the QNAP NAS over WiFi. Have googled loads and can't seem to get to the bottom of it. :-/

I noticed that if I remote onto the QNAP drives webpage and upload the files through the browser they upload really quickly in comparison to using finder, so I know the WiFi is capable of transferring that amount of data quickly, it's just from Finder something is getting messed up!
I have exactly the same problem. Macmini M1 Synology NAS and Unifi6 wifi. Wifi connected 1200mbit but connection to NAS about 10mb/s very slow. Speedtest with internet about 800mbit/s Same with ethernet cable got full 120mb/s to NAS and also 800mbit/s internet. Any solutions so far?

isole

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2022
I had to force inherited permissions on all the shares. Even though the shared connection was through a user account that matched. In Monterey, the POSIX vs ACL wasn't getting applied properly on the server. There is some software that makes applying these terminal commands related to permissions easy. It's called TinkerTool.
Where exactly in TinkerTool did you find and change that setting?

littletree76

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
This is the website for Tinker Tool System (note another product Tinker Tool of the same company is meant for UI tweaking but not system diagnostic/maintenance):

Yes there is option ACL Permission under File Operation plane in main menu of Tinker Tool System.

But this post is about file transfer with SMB protocol (version 1/2/3) and wired/WiFi network through router/switch. It is unrelated to permission setting of files within folder to be transferred.

I am tempting to try building Samba SMB server version 4 through macports Unix porting system (https://www.macports.org) and install it on my M1 iMac with Apple SMB server disabled all together. I have tried with version 3 of Samba SMB server running on the Mac but it only works partially with media player apps running on my Apple TV 4K.

Initially Apple was supplying standard open source Samba SMB server in past macOS releases, but later on tweak it to serve Apple product development and turn it into proprietary version. My Qnap NAS and Media player apps on Apple TV 4K no longer work properly with M1 iMac as SMB file server.

littletree76

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
This is content of file /etc/nsmb.conf on my M1 iMac (as well as previous Intel iMac). Does not help to improve slow SMB transfer speed.

[default]
### Turn package signing off:
signing_required=no
#
### Force all SMB mounts to use version 3 only in configuration bitmap (binary 100 (3|2|1) => 4).
### Similarly binary 2 for version 2 only and binary 1 for version 1 only
### protocol_vers_map=7 is the default SMB setting for version 1/2/3.
#
### Only SMB 3 enabled:
# protocol_vers_map=4
### SMB 2/3 enabled:
protocol_vers_map=6
#
### Disable SMB Multichannel feature to use only WiFi for network transfer:
mc_on=no

fcracer

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2017
I have exactly the same speed issues. Only bad thing for me is that I don’t have any encrypted share folders so there must be a bottleneck somewhere else. :(
I thought it may help someone in the future to follow up on the root cause. In my case, the Studio Max and OSX were blamed incorrectly. The actual problem was with the RAID setup I had on the Synology NAS.

Because I had used different drive sizes with an SHR RAID, Synology creates multiple RAIDs to maximize the drive space utilization. This also means that not all drives are used in all read and write requests. Therefore, speed is limited depending on which RAID is being read and written to.

To get to the bottom of this, I used iperf to test the raw connection speed which confirmed I was getting full 10GbE speeds. Once that was confirmed, I focused on the NAS and eventually got to the real issue. I now routinely get 550MB/s speeds across my four disk RAID 5 setup.

deja_geek

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2019
One thing I have found greatly improves SMB performance in MacOS is to make sure that the file:

Code:
/etc/nsmb.conf

contains the following:

Code:
[default]
signing_required=no

You don't need packet signing on your own home network, and it can slow things down. This disables it.
I have a MacOS VM (running via UTM) and was using SMB from my MacOS host to share files to the VM. Out of the blue, connections from the VM to the host became very slow. To the point where I couldn't even mount shares. This resolved my issue. Both the VM and Host are running MacOS 13.2 (Ventura)

Reactions: Brian33

jebidia

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
i fixed my smb slow issues by adding smb encrypt = off in smb.conf on my linux server. now i'm R/W files at full gigabit speeds on macOS monteray
Do you mean nsmb.conf? Is it the same on OSX? Has anyone else tried this with success?

jebidia

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
I have a MacOS VM (running via UTM) and was using SMB from my MacOS host to share files to the VM. Out of the blue, connections from the VM to the host became very slow. To the point where I couldn't even mount shares. This resolved my issue. Both the VM and Host are running MacOS 13.2 (Ventura)
I'm on Ventura as well and I read that if "signing_required=" is not listed in your attributes under "smbutil statshares -a" then it is not on...Did you confirm it was listed prior to running the command? Curious if it's possible to be on but not listed under attributes...I have a "signing_supported=TRUE" not sure it was renamed or if supported is different than required? it is supposed to be off by default. Did you have to create the nsmb.conf file? I don't seem to have one on my Ventura machine. Could you run " smbutil statshares -a " and post what it says? mine is attached
osx smb.png

Last edited:

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2021

Hmm. This article says that in macOS 10.13.4 and later, packet signing is off by default:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.