Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rev.b

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Portugal
Hi there.

Finally returned to Macs after some years of absence, with a MB Air 15 M3. Loving it, apple silicon was a bold but great move, this thing has nothing to do with old Intel Macbooks.

Only issue I noticed so far - App Store downloads are painfully slow.

Everything network related works fine, using wifi, did a speed test almost 500 Mb/s, everything downloads as fast as expected exept apps from App Store.

I'm trying to download Resident Evil 4 at speeds from 300-600 K(!)B/sec, it's a bit inconvenient for a 64 Gb download.

I already tried some tutorials, logged off App Store and in back again, changed DNS to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4, to no avail. Dowload speed remains at KB/s range.

Can someone help? Surely something is wrong here.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Everything network related works fine, using wifi, did a speed test almost 500 Mb/s, everything downloads as fast as expected exept apps from App Store.
If everything isn't effected than the issue is with network traffic directly related to Mac App store. Even if you install a network monitor (like Little Snitch.. there are others) which will provide connection host details for this specific download network traffic, your download speed is determined by so many factors in the routing of network packets across internet networks which are out of your control, you'll probably never even begin to determine the cause for the slow download speed. I'm afraid you'll just have to suffer through it.

TJFDenver

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2024
same issue ... 2020 iMac 5k/128gb/8tb ... all other software/connections/udpates/downloads/upload work great ... but the App Store updates is painfully slow ... painfully

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.