Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
You need to realise you're buying mass-produced consumer products, not hand-assembled Aston Martins or a spacecraft. Your first post from six years ago was complaining about barely-perceptible flaws in the outer packaging of a MacBook Pro: literally the brown outer shipping box. Nearly every thread you've started since then has been some neurotic complaint about a similar non-issue. Can't you see that it's not Apple, it's you?

The miniscule faults you see in everything surrounding you must drive you crazy every day, and I think you need therapy. And I mean that seriously and courteously, not as an insult. But how you take that advice is of course up to you. I suspect you won't take it well, yet I doubt I'm the first person to recommend it.

Please, even Apple employees don't accept flaws from Apple themselves. I once returned a MacBook Pro for a fault, then an Apple employee got a brand new MacBook Pro from the back and we opened it together and the Apple employee himself spotted something wrong with it too and went to the back to get a 3rd one and apologized for it.

Telling people who do not accept faults when paying premium prices for premium products is really silly. Apple knows my purchase history and they make no fuss when I do my exchanges until I got a 100% flawless product from them.

Else I might as well buy a cheap ass PC laptop, and then I will accept flaws for it as I am not paying a premium price for it.

Last edited:

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
Please, even Apple employees don't accept flaws from Apple themselves. I once returned a MacBook Pro for a fault, then an Apple employee got a brand new MacBook Pro from the back and we opened it together and the Apple employee himself spotted something wrong with it too and went to the back to get a 3rd one and apologized for it.

Telling people who do not accept faults when paying premium prices for premium products is really silly. Apple knows my purchase history and they make no fuss when I do my exchanges until I got a 100% flawless product from them.

Else I might as well buy a cheap ass PC laptop, and then I will accept flaws for it as I am not paying a premium price for it.
OP's identified flaws/defects seem extremely minor. It is not perfect but neither does it hinder functionality and it doesn't appear OP even uses the laptop for anything else besides glaring at it with contempt.

Even if you get a 100% perfect example, how do you know there's not a flaw internally that you haven't identified? And lord forbid you get a smudge or scratch on your perfect item. Now it's no longer perfect.

Reactions: MajorFubar

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
OP's identified flaws/defects seem extremely minor. It is not perfect but neither does it hinder functionality and it doesn't appear OP even uses the laptop for anything else besides glaring at it with contempt.

Even if you get a 100% perfect example, how do you know there's not a flaw internally that you haven't identified? And lord forbid you get a smudge or scratch on your perfect item. Now it's no longer perfect.

If I want to buy a flawed MacBook Pro, I can go to Craiglist and save alot of money. If I buy it straight from Apple, it better be 100% flawless. I will know if there is a flaw, because I have 100% flawless machines to compare it to.

And if I cause a scratch myself, no worries, it is 100% my fault and I don't care. But on a brand new unit, no way. I will exchange it for a new one.

Well, I have been exchanging my MacBook Pro for more than 10 years for any type of flaw there is, including those of the OP. And Apple has no issues with it at all doing these exchanges.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I think it's proof you're obsessing over something trivial. It's not intended to be an insult or unkind statement. This is what I would say to a good friend or my brother to whack some sense into them.

The way you're tapping the corners will make that sound across many of the broad/wide keys. What does it sound like when you're actually typing and striking the middle of keys?

I can make the hollow tapping sound across four different keyboards at my desk but none of them have bothered me, been a distraction, nor even caught my attention under normal daily typing. It wasn't until I saw your video and only tapped the corners that I noticed, and I still don’t see it as an issue.

Have you actually used your shiny new MacBook for anything productive? I imagine this purchase was a want and not a need. If so, I can certainly understand the remorse of buying a $3K laptop you don't really need.

Please show us how bad your hinges are too. Here are my keyboard videos for comparison:

HP ProBook work-issued laptop:

2020 M1 MacBook Air:

2015 MacBook Pro 13:

Cheap wireless keyboard:

First of all thanks for your effort and detailed explanation. I am very, very pleased because of this.

You are actually right. But it is upsetting when you go to a store and compare with demo devices... You notice that they are rock solid about these issues. At that moment you ask yourself: why mine is not like them...? Also some users tell that they do not have same issue. It would be acceptable if this occurs frequently but i can not find any other device in M2 MBP generation like mine... One single video proof will make me satisfied

And there is another risk. I could return this device if i noticed this keyboard issue earlier and Apple would send me a new one. But at this time other device would have other issues like:

1) yellowish display
2) dead or stuck pixel
3) BATTERY CYCLE COUNT
4) keyboard without loose clicking and rattling keys
5) screen without fingerprints and smudges because of packaging
6) aliminum body wthout dent or scratch
7) fully clear and undamaged ports (type c, hdmi etc)
8) display check (pattern, uniformity, brightness)
9) warranty status and coverage starting date check
10) gap asymetry between hinge and body and also asymetry between body and lid on left-right sides
11) permanent stain on display

A flawless device is like winning a lottery. As you and other people said: i have to change my perspective and expectation.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I wouln't say it's a matter of OCD per se, but it's closer to that type of response. As NeonNights pointed out, the way you're tapping the keys on the keyboard will cause similar effects across a wide range of keyboards. If you press on the center of the keys, does the same thing happen? If not, then it honestly could be a matter of trying to find specific conditions which support your perceived issues. You also mentioned in your OP about issues with the hinges, would you mind sharing photos of the hinges to illustrate your concerns?
About hinge problem you can look this entry (this is not my entry and mine is a little bit better compared to this one):

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/wth0pj

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I could return this device if i noticed this keyboard issue earlier and Apple would send me a new one. But at this time other device would have other issues like:

Why do you assume the worst case when it could be the opposite? Most customers (maybe not as detailed oriented as you) are quite happy with their devices.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
About hinge problem you can look this entry (this is not my entry and mine is a little bit better compared to this one):

Sorry, that fraction of a hair-width hinge shift is not triggering a return trip to the store for me. I'm not even going to see that with the laptop open. That would only be an issue if you're worried about how others perceive you or your laptop while in use, considering the hinge faces away from you. That miniscule gap difference would only trouble me if it made some noise or you could feel some friction or rubbing when opening/closing the lid. If purely cosmetic then it tarnishes nothing for me and I'd already be too busy enjoying my new laptop.

Of course no one wants a lemon or a dud when buying something new but these examples are hardly defective in my mind. At the same time, I wholeheartedly support doing what makes you happy. So if multiple return trips will lead to more happiness for someone then so be it, but it seems true contentment will always be elusive if you keep honing in on every little thing that's wrong. If you keep seeking imperfections then you will find it, in objects and in people. Spend some time evaluating the rest of the laptop. How's it performing? Is it an improvement over your previous machine? Do you enjoy using it (not just looking at it)?

Reactions: emraha06

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

In all honesty, I can't see any difference worth mentioning, let alone causing enough concern to return the machine. And if your MBP hinges are in better shape than that one, I'm even less sure that there is any legitimate issue at play.

This really does sound like Buyer's Remorse on multiple levels rather than legitimate issues related to build quality or product durability.

instant_happiness

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2023
I have purchased a month ago M2 max 16 from reseller:
1) yellowish display - no.
2) dead or stuck pixel - no.
3) BATTERY CYCLE COUNT - 4 or 5.
4) keyboard without loose clicking and rattling keys - no such issues, but right arrow key now is less responsive.
5) screen without fingerprints and smudges because of packaging - yes.
6) aliminum body wthout dent or scratch - yes.
7) fully clear and undamaged ports (type c, hdmi etc) - yes.
8) display check (pattern, uniformity, brightness) - ok.
9) warranty status and coverage starting date check - shows it started 3 weeks before I activated it.
10) gap asymetry between hinge and body and also asymetry between body and lid on left-right sides - no.
11) permanent stain on display - no.

Do not worry so much, after 3-4 years of use all these small issues wouldn't matter. Just save you nerves. I also spend to much attention to details for new devices and it's not good)

Reactions: emraha06
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.