Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitsune113

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
Hello, I've asked for help at a few forums but I haven't gotten a response so far. I recently downloaded BitDefender and found a threat named MAC.OSX.Niqtana.E It has been quarantined but it has probably been on my pc for a while.

What should I do/what does this even mean? I have no experience with things like this so any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot (599).png
    Screenshot (599).png
    31 KB · Views: 121

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Since the worm is quarantined, it can't do any further damage with BitDefender loaded. You could try deleting the file. However I would still "erase all content and settings" and set up the Mac as new. Once you do that and get all your programs reloaded, create a Time Machine backup of your system, in case something like this happens again.

More than likely, you got the worm using P2P or something similar, which is not a good idea to be doing.

• Haha
Reactions: LeeW and kitsune113

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
In that screenshot, the infected file was in the Recycle Bin on a Windows system. Since the infected file seems to be targeted towards Macs, there's nothing for you to worry about (apart from the possibility of having passed it on to Mac users).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.