Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
VLC for Mac and VLC for iOS / TV OS are different, that's for sure.

I use VLC on my Mac (Mac mini to HDMI receiver 5.1) to play A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G it has to. Any compressed movie with any type of sound, even FLAC and WMA with DTS, very high bitrate, etc.

But on TV OS it seems some type of codecs are not supported, maybe because of licensing issues?

OTOH, FireCore plays all my movies (DTS, AC3, etc.) fine. Just no audio files ATM.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
The present version of VLC has serious limitations. It can't play surround on files that MrMC has no problems with. (Infuse can't play so many things that I won't go into detail about that app)

VLC however still breaks my Twonky server on certain devices. As soon as I start up VLC other devices with a running Twonky server may crash. I think this depends on the server version. VLC is up to now the most useless of them all.

Jago

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2013
VLC can't play certain files? Are you serious?

Yes I was wondering also. Since it had been updated a few times now. Do you have experience with it? I will try to check tonight.

Yes, I am serious. We're talking about VLC on Apple TV here, not the PC version. The Apple TV versio does not do AC3 or DTS audio, so it can't play 90% of my video files.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
For those reasons I won't even bother installing it on my ATV4

I can understand. But how will you find out that it does not work on your set-up if you never install it? And how will you let those VLC-fans that work to improve the app confront with your fierce criticism? Wouldn't it be better to get real angry about it's shortcomings when you have experienced them yourself?

Or will you leave this poor soul to that?

;-)

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Unfortunately, you may be on your own here :) The majority of my video files are MKV with AC3 audio. For that reason there's no reason to even try the app right now. Also for that reason I have not upgraded my iPad VLC app in over a year - keeping the last version that played AC3 audio installed.

ClonyXXL

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2016
Czech Republic
I tried VLC gradually on iPad, iPhone, Sony TV with Android, Samsing Galaxy S3 with Android, and ATV4. Even on a single device VLC ac3 me play. VLC is supposedly great. I would say that it is great just because it is free. If someone is willing to convert their entire collection to a supported format, please. I'd rather buy a good program.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
IMHO, VLC on a Desktop OS (OS X, Linux, Windows) is superb. Nothing is better. Plays it all, does it all.

VLC on a Mobile OS (iOS, Android, Tv OS, etc.) is OTOH not that good.
Infuse Pro is my favourite on TV OS.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
VLC for Mac and VLC for iOS / TV OS are different, that's for sure.

I use VLC on my Mac (Mac mini to HDMI receiver 5.1) to play A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G it has to. Any compressed movie with any type of sound, even FLAC and WMA with DTS, very high bitrate, etc.

But on TV OS it seems some type of codecs are not supported, maybe because of licensing issues?

OTOH, FireCore plays all my movies (DTS, AC3, etc.) fine. Just no audio files ATM.

If you Look it up at Apple's Apple TV Specs page it says:

Audio Formats
HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 7.1

Last edited:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
My smart tv seems to play everything. And I've tested many types of files. For a much maligned option it sure seems to have an advantage here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.