Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vote For Picture Based On It's Number

• Picture 1

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Picture 2

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Picture 3

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Picture 4

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Picture 5

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Picture 6

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Picture 7

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Looking at Ireland and London sets, there are a few examples of you chopping out the ground, just like you did in #6. And then you also manage to include too much of the ground sometimes as well, although not including enough of the ground is more common in your photos. :eek:

I like this one, but it isn't going to win you any contests: Curves

I also love this photo and how you captured the roof perfectly: British Museum, but it's dark and not level.

After looking at all your photos, I still think #6 in your first post is the best. I also like THIS photo, but it's a bit foggy.

On an unrelated note, THIS photo would look great in the Dark and Light Assignment gallery that's currently running. :eek: Lovely photo.

Thanks for all the advice! What do you think of this one(now that its cropped)?

352250321_2ec8cfd2b5.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
When shooting something like that, I want to either see what the guy is doing up close (so zooming in, walking in closer, and standing at more of an angle), what the girl is doing up close, or more of what's being written on the wall. This photo doesn't give me any of that. Sorry. :eek:

What did you crop? If you cropped out more of the ground....put it back in!! :p I personally feel that if you're going to chop off someone's feet, you may as well chop off their legs as well. No point showing me 90% of a leg and chopping off the feet. It gives that girl a weird look. Is she very tall, or is she standing on a box?

Either I want to see the boxes they're sitting/standing on, or I want you to get closer and just shoot them from above the waist. Again, that means getting closer and standing at more of an angle so that I can see what they're writing (ie: so that I can see the "action"). Either that, or step back and let me see the words or picture being written/drawn on the wall.

Basically: Get in closer, or move further away. All I see are two people looking at the wall. Do you want us to show them writing (ie: an action), or do you want to show us what was written on the wall (ie: it's interesting in some way)? You need to show us something, which means you need to choose. :)

P.S.: Even if this photo were perfect (that's subjective, though), I certainly wouldn't submit this photo to a contest unless the writing on the wall was in a foreign language. ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
And why does THIS photo exclude the ground?

A way to make some photos more interesting is to get in closer, or shooting at angles, or both. People who shoot from far away, and directly facing the building rather than at an angle make their photos look like they're just snapshots. If you're photographing something in particular (ie: the sign at the pub), you don't need to shoot from far away unless the photo is composed well and can be interesting. If you shot more of the ground, you'd include the people and not the ugly, irrelevent buildings behind that pub. :) If you don't shoot from far away and at a more interesting angle, then walk up to the sign, look up, and shoot the sigh so that you're pointing upwards, and a bit diagonal as well. That way, you won't photograph the sign so that it's edges are "square/rectangular"; the edges will look diagonal. Diagonal lines are more interesting than square lines, so lines that cut across the photo are fantastic, which is why almost EVERYBODY said that PHOTO #4 is by far your best. ;) :)

So basically......walk further away and capture more, or walk right up to it and take a photo from an interesting angle if you can. You're in between again --- not close enough to capture just the sign, and not far enough away to capture the a larger section of the building. This way, you also avoid photographing people's shoulders and head.

Anyway, #6 is still the best photo for what you're entering. ;)

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
When shooting something like that, I want to either see what the guy is doing up close (so zooming in, walking in closer, and standing at more of an angle), what the girl is doing up close, or more of what's being written on the wall. This photo doesn't give me any of that. Sorry. :eek:

What did you crop? If you cropped out more of the ground....put it back in!! :p I personally feel that if you're going to chop off someone's feet, you may as well chop off their legs as well. No point showing me 90% of a leg and chopping off the feet. It gives that girl a weird look. Is she very tall, or is she standing on a box?

Either I want to see the boxes they're sitting/standing on, or I want you to get closer and just shoot them from above the waist. Again, that means getting closer and standing at more of an angle so that I can see what they're writing (ie: so that I can see the "action"). Either that, or step back and let me see the words or picture being written/drawn on the wall.

Basically: Get in closer, or move further away. All I see are two people looking at the wall. Do you want us to show them writing (ie: an action), or do you want to show us what was written on the wall (ie: it's interesting in some way)? You need to show us something, which means you need to choose. :)

P.S.: Even if this photo were perfect (that's subjective, though), I certainly wouldn't submit this photo to a contest unless the writing on the wall was in a foreign language. ;)

I took a couple more photos but this was being painted on a very busy street with thin sidewalks. I was standing on the edge of the curb zoomed completely out trying to capture the whole thing. I crossed the street but there was too much in the way(cars, trees, people etc.) I cropped out a guy who had been cut in half. As I said before all of these shots were merely for documentation. I was limited in my time so I would snap a shot and move on to something else.

The Brazen Head picture below is horrible because I was inexperienced with the viewfinder on my camera. I understand what you mean about angles and things and I understand am asking a lot by limiting myself to find a well-taken picture when these had no intention of anything but piquing my memory later on, but thanks for the advice it will be useful in the future.

I will consider both 4 and 6 then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.