Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I think I understand what you're suggesting, but how does that differ from using my paid VPN service from my mobile devices when I'm away from the house? The issue is having my mobile devices auto-sense my home network (or any other trusted network) and deactivate their built in VPN clients. There's one MacOS/iOS specific VPN service I've found (www.getcloak.com) where the client can auto-detect trusted networks, but it's quite expensive and seems to be aimed at small businesses rather than home users.

It's a shame iOS can identify a trusted network and enable/disable VPN, if configured, accordingly.

Most VPNs only allow one connection per subscriber, which is why you should use a single VPN service from your home router. Of course, if you feel like duplicating your VPN subscriptions, then by all means have a VPN for each and every device.

sleepydinosaur

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Most VPNs only allow one connection per subscriber, which is why you should use a single VPN service from your home router. Of course, if you feel like duplicating your VPN subscriptions, then by all means have a VPN for each and every device.
PIA allows 5. FYI

It swayed my decision to then go with mobile apps.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Most that I've seen offer around 5 connections, the lowest number I've seen is 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.