Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrPresident84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2021
So I signed up for a year of IPVANISH VPN for the Apple TV 4K 2nd generation and it’s not connecting to any servers.

The app connects on my iPhone but not on Apple TV. There’s no error message. It just says connecting and a spinning wheel that goes on forever.

I’ve tried opening/reopening the app, I’ve tried restarting the device.

I’ve logged out then back in. Changed my password then tried again. I’ve tried deleting the VPN profile from settings. Restarted app and allowed it to install profile again but nothing.

Nothing I do can get this darn app to connect to any server!

What gives!? I’ve contacted support and they’re no help and they said they hope to email me with a solution. Is anyone else having trouble using VPN on Apple TV?

IPVanishSupport

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
So I signed up for a year of IPVANISH VPN for the Apple TV 4K 2nd generation and it’s not connecting to any servers.

The app connects on my iPhone but not on Apple TV. There’s no error message. It just says connecting and a spinning wheel that goes on forever.

I’ve logged out then back in. Changed my password then tried again. I’ve tried deleting the VPN profile from settings. Restarted app and allowed it to install profile again but nothing.

What gives!? I’ve contacted support and they’re no help and they said they hope to email me with a solution. Is anyone else having trouble using VPN on Apple TV?
Hello @MrPresident84, we're sorry to hear about the troubles you are having. Can you reach out to us at management@ipvanish.com from your account email so we can help get you back up and running?

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Hi thank you for your reply. I have sent an email with some information. I hope that helps to solve the issue.
I have NordVPN but just switched back to IPvanish as I wanted it for Apple TV. Plus, NordVPN expires in October. I have an Apple 4K 1st gen and no problems using IPvanish. It’s also listed in the settings area as “connected”. You might have another app interfering with it?

EDIT---FYI, I'm using a Deco mesh system.

Last edited:

MrPresident84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2021
I’ve just confirmed that AT&T is not blocking VPN access although I was sure because I previously used ExpressVPN.

I’m in contact with IPVanish customer service. They are trying to help.

I have just discovered that even on my iPhone, IPVanish will not connect with the IKEv2 protocol. My iPhone connects with the recommended WireGuard option with no issue.

It seems the protocol is the problem. I’ve just emailed IPVanish this information. Do you think I have to open a port on my router?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I recommend not opening any ports on the router.

For streaming, the best protocol from my personal use is UDP or Wireguard. Seems like websites and streaming services detect my VPN when using IKE.

For watching geo-locked content, I have had great success with a DNS from smartstreaming. tv and ControlD.

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas

I had this same issue and support wasn’t any help. I got an idea to change the DNS and it connected for me .

yancarlorivas

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2023
Hello @MrPresident84, we're sorry to hear about the troubles you are having. Can you reach out to us at management@ipvanish.com from your account email so we can help get you back up and running?
I have the same issue with my router connected to my Fiber ONT and the ONT managing the internet connection to my ISP. When I set the ONT to Bridge Mode and connecting my router with PPPoE to manage the ISP connection it worked fine. Hope this helps, but it would be much better no to necessarily have to set the ONT to bridge mode because some ISP's don't give that option in some countries or regions.

M4rcel

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023
I have the same issue, IPvanish support is not very helpful. Did you manage to fix the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.