Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
After doing the lessons in Scott Kelby's 7 point system, I'm soon learning that a Wacom Tablet is a must. Are they worth it? Is the Bamboo worth buying as a starter? What do you think of them?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
After doing the lessons in Scott Kelby's 7 point system, I'm soon learning that a Wacom Tablet is a must. Are they worth it? Is the Bamboo worth buying as a starter? What do you think of them?

If you can sign your name with a mouse and it looks just like you did it with a pen then you do not need a tablet. Most of us need a tablet for any precision work.

For photo editing the Bamboo might be enough. You don't need pen tilt and rotaton to draw selections and so forth.

PIXELFLIP

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Can't live without Wacom

I started using a 6x8 tablet six or seven years ago and I say HANDS DOWN - best thing EVER.

I use it for doing detail work in Photoshop and also in my day to day professional video editing with Final Cut Pro and After Effects.

Navigation (scrubbing through a video timeline or going full-screen in a Photshop document and using the 'hand' tool)... options using modifier keys... and of course the natural pen-like drawing and detail work are a breeze and I often feel less efficient without my tablet.

I have a 9x12 at the office an a tiny 4x5 for my laptop when I'm out and about. Bigger is definitely best, but the small one works great in a pinch. I say spend about $300 and get a nice one.

It's a little like learning to ride a bike... maybe even a unicycle... but a couple of weeks with a tablet and I bet you never go back.

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
So what features does the 6X8 have the Bamboo doesn't? Is it just bigger?

PIXELFLIP

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
I'm not really familiar with Bamboo... but I can see that the difference in the experience would be significant. The larger tablets - for me - allow a great deal of freedom. It's more of a 1-to-1 connection with you canvas. The smaller 4x5 will allow you to do targeted work, but I think it might feel like.... hmmm... maybe like signing your name on the back of a credit card? You can do it, but it's much easier and less awkward to sign on a regular size sheet of paper.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
So what features does the 6X8 have the Bamboo doesn't? Is it just bigger?

The feature(s) that are better but it's based on the person using is the Bamboo from what I read on has 512 levels of pen pressure. The Intuos models have 1024 or there about pressure levels and tilt. I'd say if you will do editing a lot then the extra money spent on a 6x8 Intuos would be well worth it over the Bamboo. Then again the Bamboo is priced to get you in and see if it's really what you want to stick with. It looks nice and if you grow out of it you can keep it or sell it for a good $$ as well.
I draw way more than edit photos with mine but after using a tablet on photos it just works much nicer than the mouse does. Also the pens feel much nicer with the Intuos and to some that makes all the difference in the world. I really don't like the small plastic feel when I'm holding the pen but each their own.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
I use an older 4x6 Wacom Graphire tablet, and I use it instead of a mouse. No more wrist aches from a mouse.

I have no problems navigating on the smaller sized tablet.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hmm, I've been toying with getting a Bamboo as well, as I don't know if it's one of those purchases that end up gathering dust. I was thinking about getting back into art, but I am frustrated with my inability to get precision work done with my mouse.
The Bamboo seemed like a god starting point ($-wise) but I kind figured that I'd get annoyed with the relatively small work area. But, like I said, I don't want to spend a buncha cash, just to quit using it in 1 month.

Like my PSP. :rolleyes:

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
I use a Wacom Graphire Bluetooth pad 6x8, I love it, It's rechargable and I take it with me all the time.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I use a Wacom tablet daily and have done for many years. They're superb.

The bamboo models are okay, but the Intuos models are worth the extra if you can afford it.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I got an older 9 x 12 Intuos (Intuos 1, USB) for compositing work... and then never really did any, so it's just sitting in my closet. I did like using it with the machine's UI, though it doesn't work as well when you have two displays. I've thought about selling it.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I have a 4x6 Wacom. I edit photos all the time with it. I was going to buy a larger one, but decided on the smaller one and even though I have an apple cinema 20", I don't notice any issues editing. My workspace isn't obviously as large as a bigger one, but it does the trick.

Extra buttons usually accompany the big ones and I could see how that would be a big help. Right know, my right hand uses the pen and my left hand stays on the keyboard to slap shortcuts when I need them. It works and I feel that i'm fairly quick at it.

Cheers,
Keebler

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Wanna sell it? :)
Not sure it would be worth either of our time or money spent shipping it. It was on sale for like $100 and I think you can get them for around that price pretty regularly now. (?) In case there is something buggy with mine in particular I wouldn't want to pass that on. (it occasionally jumps its cursor around indiscriminately, little punk!) Thanks though.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Well, I broke down and just ordered a Bamboo. I have much self-restraint. :rolleyes:

It's only $79 from Wacom, and I expect it's because they're going to phase it out and replace it soon (other places seem to be out of stock on it).

But anyway, once it gets here, I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it is for a starter tablet, from a newbie tablet user! :cool:

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Just bought the Bamboo without the mouse. Bought it in Circuit City, but on line, saved 10 bucks. So for 69.00 it worth the try. I went with the smaller one for one main reason, it's easier to control a 4" strait line than a 10" strait line.
I feel I will have more control with the smaller pad.

Thanks everyone for the help!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Just bought the Bamboo without the mouse. Bought it in Circuit City, but on line, saved 10 bucks. So for 69.00 it worth the try. I went with the smaller one for one main reason, it's easier to control a 4" strait line than a 10" strait line.
I feel I will have more control with the smaller pad.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Except that that 4" straight line will now be spread over the entire length of your screen. Not to mention that, in a computer, you'd draw a straight line with a straight line tool, not your hand.

Drawing with a tablet is not like drawing on paper, it's just more similar.

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Except that that 4" straight line will now be spread over the entire length of your screen. Not to mention that, in a computer, you'd draw a straight line with a straight line tool, not your hand.

Drawing with a tablet is not like drawing on paper, it's just more similar.

I was referring when you are trying to trace around an object in a photo, so the less you have to move your hand the more stable. Make sense????:)

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
I had a 4X6 Wacom about 15 years ago and loved it. Then I got lazy which forced me to get really good at drawing with a mouse...then with a TRACKPAD! I deserve a new tablet:D but decided that as an executive, I don't want that much time drawing anyway:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.