Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irfan

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Bamboo

I just bought the bamboo about 2 weeks ago as a starter myself, its just about good enough for me but then I just do some basic editing in photoshop.

I'm already thinking though that maybe I should of gone for the next model up...

Up to you though.

Irfan

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Let us know how you like it.

It's tough to get used to.. I'm used to a mouse with the pick up and roll, meaning the cursor will stay where you leave it and then continue when you move the mouse again. Not so with the wacom (on it's default "pen" settings), the cursor follows the pen across the pad (hovering just above the wacom pad).

But the action is smooth and I can already see how drawing in detail is much, much easier.

It also reminds me that I have a lot to learn.. :)

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Started with a 4x6 graphire then got a 9x12 Intous 1 on eBay. The thing that you need to watch is with a wide screen, your aspect ratio. I guess this is why they now make wide angle tablets. So after adjusting the tablet in system prefs, the bottom part of the tablet doesn't work, but it beats drawing a circle and getting an oval.

Also, with dual monitors it's best to restrict the pen to one monitor. The graphire now sits in my laptop bag for any road work.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
After getting a $50 gift card to best buy, I spent another $50 on a small graphite and used it about twice... I debated selling it on eBay, but never got around to it.

This semester I have 2 university classes that provide tablet PC's in class (I have no idea why, because we only use them to surf the net when we're supposed to be paying attention...) and I fell in love with the pen. I brushed off my tablet and now I use my pen mostly for iTunes and a little pit of CS3

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I keep repeating my dream of an Apple (or whoever can get the license) pressure sensitive multi-touch enabled graphics tablet. Something large and interactive enough to sit in front of the keyboard, and take a prominent role in user-interaction.

I have a dream...

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
My 2 cents

Get one.
I got mine (I had already used one a lot -see the third advice-) for Photoshop when I was working on an animation series, and I got hooked by Wacom again. It just reminded me how much I hate mouses, and now I take my tablet and a copy of the Mac and Windows drivers with me if I know I'll have to use another computer for more than a day.

My advice:
- The jump from a mouse to a tablet is at least as huge as the switch from Windows to Mac.
- It can be frustrating for the first three hours (or days). Don't give up. It's very rewarding.
- The size isn't really important unless you have a big screen. I used to use an A3 Intuos 2 (before the Intuos 3 existed), which was the biggest available. We never used anything more than a A6~A5 portion of it, and it was on two (at the time humongous) 22" screens. The smaller the active portion, the faster you'll go, and the less you'll get your arm tired.
- If you're going to do design, however, I'd consider an A5~A4 (for CAD, even bigger).
- The Graphire 4 series is great (earlier series sucked). Much better per dollar value than the Intuos IMO (although I reckon the Intuos is better built and has a softer touch, it's hardly worth the money for a first tablet unless you've got too much money*). I haven't used the Bamboo yet.
- When you get yours, look at all the options you have in the preferences panel. I always turn on the force proportions.
- Consider getting a Bluetooth model. My next tablet will be a Graphire Bluetooth (or maybe if I get a Mac Pro and a big screen, an Intuos A4). The cable is too long. Too much hassle plugging and unplugging.
- i never use the eraser end of the pen. If you keep the other hand on the keyboard, it's much easier (and faster) to press "E" than turning the pen. Try both methods.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i was thinking of getting an intuos 4x6 for my illustrator class. Is that too small? I can't stand my mouse and i don't really plan on using it after the class is over. Or what about the bamboo the medium one (in black) would that be good for basic illustrator work?
So whats your thought? bamboo or intuos?
Thanks

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I need a new Wacom for art school next fall... I think I'll go with the Intuos3. I've used them before and love the overall feel and control it offers for any kind of work.

Meanwhile, my Graphire is fine for now, and has suited me well over the past 3 years.

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
bamboo is useful and a good starting tablet and will fit all tasks, unless you want to become a full time retoucher

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.