Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

softandy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Updated to the new watch OS 11 on a series 9 and now the watch is battery is flat half way through the day. Anyone else experiencing problems with battery drain since the new update?

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I am on 80% after one day with a Series 9, which is much better than before.

Wait for the next charging cycle. Updating the firmware also means, that a lot of background processes for caching and other things are running. It will get better.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I went from Watch OS9 to Watch OS11 and I noticed it consumes battery faster also. Not sure if it's due to a higher demand to run the latest OS features or just need to un-pair and re-pair the watch to see if that improves battery performance

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Updated to the new watch OS 11 on a series 9 and now the watch is battery is flat half way through the day. Anyone else experiencing problems with battery drain since the new update?
Give it a few days to settle on all the various updates in the background, then reboot watch…
Give it a full week for final judgement

Bichon

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2019
Today on WatchOS 11 my series 9 is down to 51% charge after 8 hours with no workouts. That's about where I'd normally be end-of-day after 16 hours off the charger and one 60 minute workout with WatchOS 10. Fingers crossed that it's just busy with after-update processing. Also noticed that my battery health dropped from 100 to 99%, which I suppose I shouldn't complain about after a year of use.

emergensee

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
There are other discussions stating that the drain might be due to live activities. I turned that off and my battery is much better than it was with it on

Last edited:
Reactions: mtrm

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
AW6 - took the watch off charge at 0720am, went for a 25 min walk that was tracked. It's now 1016am and im at 86%.

I'm sure OS11 is still busy doing it's thing in the background.

stbrown

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
Today on WatchOS 11 my series 9 is down to 51% charge after 8 hours with no workouts. That's about where I'd normally be end-of-day after 16 hours off the charger and one 60 minute workout with WatchOS 10. Fingers crossed that it's just busy with after-update processing. Also noticed that my battery health dropped from 100 to 99%, which I suppose I shouldn't complain about after a year of use.
Same for me on my AW9. I have been on the Betas since beta 2 and battery has been like this the entire time. Im ending the day at 20-30% now. It seems hit and miss, some people are fine and other have more battery drain. I even tried unpairing and setting it up as a new watch
I did turn off live activies to see of that was the issue but it didnt really change anything. I wonder if its something with the watch faces

mtrm

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Portugal
There are other discussions stating that the drain might be due to live activities. I turned that off and my battery is much better than it was with it on
Thanks for the thumbs up. My series 7 41mm which doesn’t have much battery to spare (at 80% battery health) was doing fine on watchOS 10, but was getting tough to get through a day on watchOS 11. Disabling the live activities seems to have improved it!

Edit: disabling live activities improved battery life, but still not near what it was on watchOS 10

Last edited:

Wagbh

macrumors member
May 6, 2020
Same here on Ultra.
Used to have 2 full days (100% in the morning -> Full day + Full night of sleep tracking, then another full day before I had to charge it again at 15-20%).
Now, it's the second morning, just had a coffee and I'm at less then 20% already...

Reactions: Toonartist

MaureenD

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2024
Scotland
Same here. I treated myself to an Ultra about a week ago and thought the battery life was amazing. 2 full days including gps use every day.

Since the update, it’s drastically reduced. I’m having to charge earlier into the second day rather than leaving it until the evening.

mrbkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Yeah, my first generation Ultra is getting hammered.

Wagbh

macrumors member
May 6, 2020
I'll give it another day to attribute it to background post-upgrades touches.

After that it it continues I'll call it a 11.0 bug.

And by 11.1 if it's not fixed, then it's just Apple's deliberate planned obsolescence.

And I'll reward this little yearly scam by shutting up and buying a new one as always...

jonh229

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2013
S8 wifi only watch. Bat life 89%. I wear it in bed to track sleep. Usually consumes just a few % Through nite. Yesterday charged to 80% and 6 hrs later it is at 16%!! Charged to 84% and upon awakening 8-1/2 hrs later it is at 68%. Charging now to 100%. Have performed resets on both S8 & iPhone 15 PM.

In my 8 yrs of watch wearing I’ve never seen a battery issue like this. I don’t know what live activities is but when I figure that out I’ll try turning it off.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
Battery life on my S9 is also much worse since the update (the same with iOS18 on my iPhone)... will try to turn of live-activities (which I have never used anyway), hope it gets better :(

jonh229

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2013
I don't use live-activities but just in case, I turned it off. In the prior 12 hours my battery has gone from 100% to 45% (vs. typical 35% consumption in this period of time) with only various notifications and an hour workout. But it is an improvement over the prior charge cycle. I'm hoping it makes it through the night.

Bichon

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2019
Following up on my previous post, I'm happy to report that yesterday my series 9 was at 48% after 16.5 hours of wear and an hour workout. That's pretty much what I was seeing with WatchOS 10, meaning that the drop I reported on my earlier post was just the normal post-upgrade housekeeping, combined perhaps, with some extra battery use from playing with the new watch faces and features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.