Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I agree I miss the glances and I really don't care about the things in the menu you bring up when you swipe up. I have tried to put my watch in airplane mode 0 times since I owned it. I have tried to make sounds come out of my watch 0 times since I owned it. I have tried to mess with a wireless network 0 times on the watch since I owned it. I have nighttime mode automatic. I never have issues with my battery life. Basically that entire menu is completely useless to me. I liked glances alot too. IMO the upward swipe is how you should access your dock(glances was basically the same thing anyway) and that wireless sound battery menu should be the button press.

lazerbrains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
I agree I miss the glances and I really don't care about the things in the menu you bring up when you swipe up. I have tried to put my watch in airplane mode 0 times since I owned it. I have tried to make sounds come out of my watch 0 times since I owned it. I have tried to mess with a wireless network 0 times on the watch since I owned it. I have nighttime mode automatic. I never have issues with my battery life. Basically that entire menu is completely useless to me. I liked glances alot too. IMO the upward swipe is how you should access your dock(glances was basically the same thing anyway) and that wireless sound battery menu should be the button press.

I totally agree. Those settings are something I rarely use and if I need them, I would rather have them be hard to get to rather than the dock/glances. Interacting with the new dock while running is ridiculous. And I will tell you, I would never need to access the control panel while running. So they should be switched. Or at least allow the user to map the buttons and swipes.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Why you're fiddling with your watch instead of watching the road, I won't understand...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Why you're fiddling with your watch instead of watching the road, I won't understand...

That's exactly the point. We want to glance at the watch and see exactly the info we want, instead of having to fiddle with the watch. Easier said than done ....

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
That's exactly the point. We want to glance at the watch and see exactly the info we want, instead of having to fiddle with the watch. Easier said than done ....
So, when you're working out, you don't want to be thinking about working out?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So, when you're working out, you don't want to be thinking about working out?

First you say we should watch the road instead of fiddling with the watch. Then when I say that is exactly what we want, you say we aren't thinking about the workout. ?????

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
First you say we should watch the road instead of fiddling with the watch. Then when I say that is exactly what we want, you say we aren't thinking about the workout. ?????
Ok, let's go back a bit.

In zhenya's example of getting a message or something during a workout, are we supposed to expect to be able to attend to a message while on the move?

Or is it too much of a hassle to either (A) pause for a minute and tend to the message, or (B) put off the message until later like we always used to do?

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I totally agree. Those settings are something I rarely use and if I need them, I would rather have them be hard to get to rather than the dock/glances. Interacting with the new dock while running is ridiculous. And I will tell you, I would never need to access the control panel while running. So they should be switched. Or at least allow the user to map the buttons and swipes.

Yep I agree the watch to me seems to be more of a set it and forget it device. Once I find the setting I like I really don't go messing with them too much. I think this was a case where something that is useful on the phone, the command center type list of common used settings, isn't so useful on the watch because I just don't mess with settings on the watch very much at all unless there is a new OS release or something. On the phone though, yeah I am fiddling with wireless networks notifications etc so that menu is really useful to me on the phone, just not so much on the watch I guess.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
I actually got a SS watch with WatchOS 2.2 after having a Sport with WatchOS 3.

I might add that, versus WatchOS 3 on the Sport, the 2.2 on the SS is much better and don’t really see much difference in speed. I sorely missed Glances on 3 and Apple should bring them back.

WOS 3 really seems geared to the frequent app user, but I am a kind of a passive user.
I’m glad you also feel that 2 was better. Not that I’m that kind of guy, I update all my devices to the latest version.

It’s really the first time for me to advocate for a previous Apple OS version, and I’ve had like a lot of Macs, Watches, iPhones, TVs, Airports, even the little docks for them. And all religiously updated on day one, zero research. No Glances really is that bad.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ok, let's go back a bit.

In zhenya's example of getting a message or something during a workout, are we supposed to expect to be able to attend to a message while on the move?

Or is it too much of a hassle to either (A) pause for a minute and tend to the message, or (B) put off the message until later like we always used to do?

We are merely talking about how the UI could be better implemented. The current model is better than it was. It could be better still.

lazerbrains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011

That's the point. I shouldn't have to be fiddling with the watch so much just to change my music while I am running. It the UI was better designed it would be much easier to do so. If I could change songs by staring at the road then by all means that is what I would be doing. But the fact of the matter is, I didn't get the watch so that I would put it on my arm and not use it cause it is too complicated to run and use it at the same time. That is a total UI and UX failure if that is the case, and I wouldn't need the watch. If it is a "set it and forget it mentality", then all I need is my phone. Don't need the watch.
The point here is the UI leaves a lot to be desired and your statement about fiddling with the damn thing to be too complicated to do while running is exactly the problem with it. I am glad you see the issue with the new OS.

Reactions: Night Spring

lazerbrains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Music doesn't work in Watch 3.0. I mean it works but causes massive battery drain on your phone due to a bug.

I just use Spotify on my watch and control it from my phone. Haven't noticed any battery drain doing that.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
Watch takes like 5 mins to turn on now.
Loading may be faster if an app is in the dock, but most 3rd party apps still don't work.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
1) I'll tell you why. watchOS 3 is a user experience nightmare, unless you like to click, touch, click, touch, click touch, all day long. It was way better to swipe than continually change how you are interacting with the watch. This makes the dock nearly unusable hence why others are using the watch faces to replace glances and skip using the dock. Interacting with my watch should be as simple as possible. As a matter of fact, unless I am changing settings or something more indepth, I don't think I should have to press the buttons at all.

2) Using screens and swipes made most things in watchOS 2 discoverable. Now you need an instruction manual to figure out how to use your watch.

3) Siri doesn't work at all. Voice dictation doesn't understand anything. It is so much worse than on watchOS 2 that I have given up even trying to ask Siri anything.

If it weren't for the fact that I use this watch for activity tracking I would likely retire it to a drawer with how much worse this OS is than the previous. If downgrading was an option (please be an option) I would do it ASAP.

The only redeeming quality of watchOS 3 is the speed boost. Yes my watch is faster to load 3rd party apps. But since I have to click, click, touch, click touch to get back and forth, it makes it feel like it takes longer to get anywhere.

I was pleasantly surprised that you can scroll the dock with the Digital Crown. Does that help?

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Other than a slight delay in the countdown beeps as I start my walking workout in the Activity app OS3 IMHO is what OS2 should have been.

Granted it'll run slightly faster on Series 1/2 but it's not made me think I need the latest model whereas in the past I've upgraded to the newest iPhone because the latest version of iOS performs better on upgraded hardware than the previous hardware generation.

My biggest bugbear is the inability to multiple delete Messages on the Watch.

Reactions: kissfan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.