Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Updated watch to 5.0.1 before bed, put watch to charge (at 55%) and confirmed that it was charging. Woke up and battery was drained. Coincidence or something to do with 5.0.1?

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Updated watch to 5.0.1 before bed, put watch to charge (at 55%) and confirmed that it was charging. Woke up and battery was drained. Coincidence or something to do with 5.0.1?
I should also say that I updated Overcast to 5.0.2 and played with the auto sync settings.

Last edited:

jags828

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Same thing happened to me. Put it on the charger early last night had around 80+ percent. Woke up this morning and it felt kinda warm, checked the battery and it was on 65%.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
happens sometimes, even in watchOS 4.0...
Reboot your Watch and it usually doesn't happen again. If it's still the same thing.

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
I experienced the same issue. I put my watch on the charger last night and woke up this morning to see the battery at 65%. I rebooted the watch. Keeping an eye on the watch to see if the issue is resolved.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
watchOS 5.0.1 in the release notes gave a fix for watches not charging.

This is completely antidotal, but I find it funny when there is a fix* for an issue I’ve never had. Then after updating the next thing I know, I have the issue/bug! Lol

HobbesInVA

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
Forsure. I feel like the download itself is slow too though

Agreed. There are extra steps to update the watch as compared to the phone. The user has to pull down the updates to the phone and then the phone has to push the updates to the watch. If the watch could pull the updates on its own, it would reduce the time by 50%.

Dario69

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2017
Same thing happened to me. Put it on the charger early last night had around 80+ percent. Woke up this morning and it felt kinda warm, checked the battery and it was on 65%.

Exactly the same situation here as well. Around 80% before bed and it was near 50% in the morning (40mm). I just picked this up yesterday and did the update in the evening.

This isn’t a good way to start my series 4 experience. I just returned a dud 40mm that I bought earlier that day. It immediately had screen flicker issues followed by random reboots, then followed by a shorted out screen. It was still working enough to unpair it but the screen was just dead.

Love the speed compared to my series 2 and was supposed to be a replacement to my series 0 38mm but this puppy is on probation for the time being.

Dario69

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2017
happens sometimes, even in watchOS 4.0...
Reboot your Watch and it usually doesn't happen again. If it's still the same thing.

I do recall this happening as well but I chalked it up to user error, not placing the watch correctly on the charging stand figuring it slid off a tad. And since they slimmed it down with series 4 I was thinking the stand might need adjusting.

Thanks for the reboot tip. After rebooting the charging is much faster compared to when I placed it back on this stand earlier this morning. It does seem like the charging issue was resolved, hopefully. Not sure why a reboot was needed since the updates does a reboot, right? New hardware, new headaches....

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Yep for some reason the Apple servers are slow. The AW4 installed it quickly compared to my AW3
I’ve always assumed the phone downloads it first, then pushes it to the watch. Bluetooth I understand being slow, but why does the original download to the phone take so long?

That’s interesting that the AW4 is so much faster. Maybe my assumption has been wrong. Maybe the watch plays a bigger role in the download from apple servers.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I’ve always assumed the phone downloads it first, then pushes it to the watch. Bluetooth I understand being slow, but why does the original download to the phone take so long?

That’s interesting that the AW4 is so much faster. Maybe my assumption has been wrong. Maybe the watch plays a bigger role in the download from apple servers.

All I can figure is they are using the processors out of the S0 watches to run the servers!:)

The update is downloaded to the phone and verfied first. Then when done starts updating the watch.

Reactions: upandown

yoheywut

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Installed 5.0.1 yesterday on my series 4. Put it in before bed while at 100%, theatre mode on. Woke up with 80% left. This is no where close to how my S3 did running OS 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.