Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Yep for some reason the Apple servers are slow. The AW4 installed it quickly compared to my AW3

Once downloaded and verified the update was extremely fast on the series 4.
I didn’t even notice the watch going through the normal “circle” and reboot.

Maybe it was just a patch, rather than a complete update.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Mine seems normal, but I only updated it last night. But so far today it is having similar battery life as before, and the same overnight.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Once downloaded and verified the update was extremely fast on the series 4.
I didn’t even notice the watch going through the normal “circle” and reboot.

Maybe it was just a patch, rather than a complete update.

No doubt it was just a patch and not a full update. It took near 45 minutes for my iPhone to download when we had the full update.

Reactions: OBirder

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I had a weird issue this morning with my AW3. When I put it on the charger, it wouldn't charge. I removed and replaced it several times with no luck. This never happened before installing 5.0.1. When I tried again after waiting a few minutes, it finally began to charge. I hope this was just a one-off glitch.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Should I avoid 5.0.1 for the time being? I didn’t install it on my Series 4 yet

hubieonekanubie

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Kansas
I updated mine last night before bed. Saw that it had finished before I went to sleep so put it on the charger and it was at 100% this morning when I put it on at 6:00am. It ‘s 3:48 PM and I’m at 77% so battery seems to be working fine for me in my opinion.

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
Mine works considerably better after the update. I’ve gone 12 hours and I still have 75% left. (Apple Watch Series 4 space black stainless steel)

Smurphy Gherkin

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Will update tonight

Any new watch Complications on the info graph?

They are not even in the beta one of 5.1, so think months not days.

But battery life on my S4 is very much in line with my S2, and both took a bit hit with watchOS 5. I sleep with it on and it used to need about half an hour charging a day and now it’s more like an hour.

5.01 is too early to tell but it’s not better for me yet.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Battery seems the same to me as well. Upgraded & charged last night. Got expected usage out of it today.
[doublepost=1538187522][/doublepost]
They are not even in the beta one of 5.1, so think months not days.

But battery life on my S4 is very much in line with my S2, and both took a bit hit with watchOS 5. I sleep with it on and it used to need about half an hour charging a day and now it’s more like an hour.

5.01 is too early to tell but it’s not better for me yet.
Turn off auto start workout. Saves you about 10% battery a day. It’s a big hit to the watch battery. Can’t wait to see what ECG does with my garbage heart o_O:confused:

Reactions: Smurphy Gherkin

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Does “Start Workout Reminder” and “End Workout Reminder” truly use up that much battery life?
[doublepost=1538188324][/doublepost]
Battery seems the same to me as well. Upgraded & charged last night. Got expected usage out of it today.
Turn off auto start workout. Saves you about 10% battery a day. It’s a big hit to the watch battery. Can’t wait to see what ECG does with my garbage heart o_O:confused:

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Does “Start Workout Reminder” and “End Workout Reminder” truly use up that much battery life?
[doublepost=1538188324][/doublepost]
Start does. I went from having 63% at the end of the day to 73% at the end of the day with just the start reminder off. I left the stop reminder on. You might squeeze some more juice by turning the stop reminder off, I just haven’t tried yet. Still testing the features and impact out. If it saves more I’ll for sure be turning it off when ECG drops.

Smurphy Gherkin

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Melbourne, Australia

Great tip, will try. And ditto. Let’s start the Garbage Heart Club.

Reactions: Mabus51

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Start does. I went from having 63% at the end of the day to 73% at the end of the day with just the start reminder off. I left the stop reminder on. You might squeeze some more juice by turning the stop reminder off, I just haven’t tried yet. Still testing the features and impact out. If it saves more I’ll for sure be turning it off when ECG drops.
Thanks for the tip, I turned off automatic workout detection (start and stop) to save on battery life,

SeanLe

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
Australia
Can confirm this bug just happened to me this morning. Put it on charge last night at 27% and it made a charge noise as per usual, woke up with 10%.

Will give it a hard reset and keep an eye on it. Was fine before the update.

Smurphy Gherkin

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Wearing while sleeping. Start workout detection off.

86% when I went to bed, theatre mode.
53% on waking up after massive sleep in.

Os4 and series 2 would lose about 15-20% in that circumstance.

It’s not a biggie, I always charge every day, I just have to charge a bit longer.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
Turning off WiFi helped tremendously for me. With it on, whenever I was away from my phone (I have LTE hooked up) I would get an X the first time I raised my watch. It would go away when I next raised it. It kept hooking up to “public” or open networks that I really couldn’t use or get on. Turning it off completely had alleviated the red X problem and my battery life improved a lot (particular when I’m using GPS on a run, when I don’t have my phone).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.