Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Accidenally got my iPhone 7 Plus wet... now both speakers sound absolutely awful. Water stuck inside them? Or is my week old phone completely ****ed?

Anyone else's phone bounce back from a similar experience?

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Give it a few taps and make sure all the water is out of speaker. Also depends how how much liquid was on your phone. Was it a simple spill? Fell in a tub? Pool? Atlantic Ocean? My "I wish my iPhone was here" tears?

Went to change a song while listening to my Bluetooth speaker and I was in the shower. She slid into the tub with the water running over it.

Open Spotify, play rage against the machine for 30 minutes on highest volume and it will be fine.

Not joking I did exactly this. Testify on highest volume on repeat. Seems to be getting better, but still not 100%. Will leave unplugged tonight and I'll check on it in the morning. Thanks for the advice everyone.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Accidenally got my iPhone 7 Plus wet... now both speakers sound absolutely awful. Water stuck inside them? Or is my week old phone completely f***ed?

Anyone else's phone bounce back from a similar experience?
Play Bass heavy music that will expel the Water. Or I wish my App I am finishing for iOS is a Water Expelling set of Tones and Vibration pulses to get Water out of the Phone.

Reactions: Statusnone88

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Not actually a myth. The rice did help dry it out, just not as effectively as say oatmeal. But the mode of action is the same, and they're great at getting settled in amongst componentry on an open phone.

Think I'll use oatmeal or something higher up the scale of ever need to do it.

And OP, don't be a dipstick. will was clearly trying to give you some advice and you tried to be a smartarse about it.

Reactions: 12vElectronics

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Not actually a myth. The rice did help dry it out, just not as effectively as say oatmeal. But the mode of action is the same, and they're great at getting settled in amongst componentry on an open phone.

Think I'll use oatmeal or something higher up the scale of ever need to do it.

And OP, don't be a dipstick. will was clearly trying to give you some advice and you tried to be a smartarse about it.

Or, here's a theory... it was something thought up many moons ago called a "joke."

Been on these boards over 6 years. Maybe I should know better by now than to crack a joke without people getting seriously butt hurt. I mean, how absolutely childish. I made a rice joke and this dude attacks my choice of clothing and what I drive? Yeah, I was SO in the wrong. :rolleyes: (That was sarcasm.)

Anyway... to all the people (including home boy who decided to get personal) who had some great advice, I thank you. Between turning on some high bass music and tapping the phone in the palm of my hand, the speakers seem to have improved.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Not joking I did exactly this. Testify on highest volume on repeat. Seems to be getting better, but still not 100%. Will leave unplugged tonight and I'll check on it in the morning. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Rage against the machine can solve all the problems in the world;)

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Water cannot get into the speakers. The grills they use (under the body of the phone) are tiny wire mesh. It uses the surface tension of the water that wont go into holes that small to keep the water out.

Search a disassembly video on YouTube, they show this effect at 2:13 until 2:40

The only way water will get in, absent a defective device although Apple doesnt warranty water, is if it was under more than 3 feet where the water pressure will force water in.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Shake it.

giphy.gif

EJ338.gif

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
If it was water resistant, why do people have to go through all those techniques to get the phone to function properly?

Water resistant doesn't mean it works flawless under water or while wet... it just means water won't kill it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.