Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Calm down! If you watched the Apple Watch presentation you'd know this is a problem when speakers get wet. Just give it a few hours to dry and it will be good as new.

Reactions: Statusnone88

F1Mac

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
That's true. I guess there is a reason why Apple won't cover water caused damaged.

That and people (not referring to you OP) should stop paying attention to the dozens of bozos on youtube and their "extreme" tests each time a new iPhone comes out. "Hey let's throw it out of the plane and see if it breaks. Conclusion: Apple devices are not very solid! Just take that into consideration before your purchase." or "I'm going to bend the crap out of this phone to make sure it bends! in your face Apple!!!"......

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's generally not a good idea to get your phone wet. These water resistance features help if an accident occurs but some people assume their phone is waterproof when it frankly isn't. Speaker cones are made of paper in most cases, or fabric and it isn't a good idea to get them wet...

However they will dry out and work perfectly again. Just don't make a habit out of it.

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
Play Bass heavy music that will expel the Water. Or I wish my App I am finishing for iOS is a Water Expelling set of Tones and Vibration pulses to get Water out of the Phone.

You're making an app to expel water out of the speakers? Thats a great idea!! Please keep me updated on when it will be available :)

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
It's not a myth... may not be the "best" way but putting the phone in rice will absorb moisture.....
[doublepost=1478136551][/doublepost]
That and people (not referring to you OP) should stop paying attention to the dozens of bozos on youtube and their "extreme" tests each time a new iPhone comes out. "Hey let's throw it out of the plane and see if it breaks. Conclusion: Apple devices are not very solid! Just take that into consideration before your purchase." or "I'm going to bend the crap out of this phone to make sure it bends! in your face Apple!!!"......
Aren't solid? I believe they make very solid phones when used properly.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
It's not a myth... may not be the "best" way but putting the phone in rice will absorb moisture.....
Leaving the laptop exposed to airflow will dry more quickly than rice.

If you truly want to dunk your laptop into something, buy some desiccant from your local hardware store. It's made to draw moisture to it.

Jetro

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2016
I don't think you should be using it in the shower. The hot steam can damage it worse than an accidental dunk.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I don't think you should be using it in the shower. The hot steam can damage it worse than an accidental dunk.
I would never use my phone in the shower, but could you please explain how steam from a shower can compromise water resistant seals more than actual water can.

Jetro

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2016
I would never use my phone in the shower, but could you please explain how steam from a shower can compromise water resistant seals more than actual water can.

Soften it up and weaken it from heat. Then moisture makes it into the phone. Maybe the steam effected the speakers too.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Umm, no. Not if you're human. You'll put yourself in the ICU burn unit before the temperature is high enough to affect anything.

Reactions: MarkX

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Soften it up and weaken it from heat. Then moisture makes it into the phone. Maybe the steam effected the speakers too.
I've never heard of such a thing. Learn something every day.

How did you get your background in the field or obtain the insider knowledge about Apple's gasket materials?

Last edited:

Jetro

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2016
I've never heard of such a thing. Learn something ever day. How did you get your background in the field or obtain the insider knowledge about Apple's gasket materials?

If you heat anything glued together it comes loose. They add glue to the seal to hold it in place when assembling the phone. Unless it says water proof and shower safe I'd avoid using it in the shower.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
If you heat anything glued together it comes loose.
Well that's simply not true. There are many items in our everyday lives that are held together by adhesive that don't immediately degrade when heat is applied. Cars come to mind. Windows too.

Unless it says water proof and shower safe I'd avoid using it in the shower.
It's been established over and again that very few products claim to actually be "waterproof," and even those that do don't offer warranties.

Again, I agree and would never take my phone in the shower (for a variety of reasons). However, you offer little more than speculation and conjecture.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think pat of what people generally apply in relation to this kind of thing is that with steam the moisture can have an easier time getting through smaller potential openings.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Not actually a myth. The rice did help dry it out, just not as effectively as say oatmeal. But the mode of action is the same, and they're great at getting settled in amongst componentry on an open phone.

Think I'll use oatmeal or something higher up the scale of ever need to do it.

And OP, don't be a dipstick. will was clearly trying to give you some advice and you tried to be a smartarse about it.

I like to dry out my iPhone in the quail egg nestled ever so gently in fine Beluga caviar with a pinch of creme fraiche and chive. If salt water was the culprit, then I recommend a gentle rinse with an exquisite French Champaign such as Dom Perignion, aged at least seven years.

You paid top dollars for that phone, treat it nice. :rolleyes:

cmdrdredd

macrumors member
May 9, 2007
I think of it like watches. Some say water resistant which people assume means you can swim with it but that's not always the case. Some say water resistant to 10 bar and people think that means 100meters diving and that's just not true. They are tested in pressure chambers, not actually submerged in water to that depth. Many watch manufacturers do not recommend taking a shower with a watch that says water resistant only with no pressure rating because pressure changes with air temp and it can allow moisture to creep in. I can only assume the ISO certification for phone water resistance is the same. It's more for "oh man it's raining but it's ok it won't break the phone" or "oops I dropped it in a puddle" rather than to have running water and hot steam on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.