Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
We'll be on Oahu for diving. My better half is doing OW certification (referral method) split between here and there. She does all of her classwork and pool time here right beforehand, and then does her final four open water dives there. We'll do a warmup/refresher class first, just to add in some extra comfort time for her. It's 4 hours the first day and 4 hours the second day for her to get in each set of two dives. She'll be doing her completion dives with this shop: http://www.scubaoahu.com/

While she is off doing that, I'll probably go with the same dive shop on an easy dive the first day (33ft) , a moderate dive the second (50-60ft), and then we'll take a day off for hiking etc. and maybe do a dive together (still with a dive shop) for the third day of diving - something easy and fun. We're spending a week in total, and so we are only doing three half-days of diving and relaxing and exploring the other times. We'll throw in some snorkeling in Hanauma Bay some afternoon too.

It will be a little touristy but it's our first time there (we'll probably go back to Maui over Oahu). Even though the dive shop provides full scuba gear (including wet suit) for the $129 (two tank) dives, we are still bringing our own gear (fins/snorkel/mask/boots/wetsuits) - we'll just use their BCDs and tanks. It should be a lot of fun, and a great way for the misses to get certified and see if she wants to continue diving on future vacations.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Too much fun!

We'll be on Oahu for diving. My better half is doing OW certification (referral method) split between here and there. She does all of her classwork and pool time here right beforehand, and then does her final four open water dives there. We'll do a warmup/refresher class first, just to add in some extra comfort time for her. It's 4 hours the first day and 4 hours the second day for her to get in each set of two dives. She'll be doing her completion dives with this shop: http://www.scubaoahu.com/

While she is off doing that, I'll probably go with the same dive shop on an easy dive the first day (33ft) , a moderate dive the second (50-60ft), and then we'll take a day off for hiking etc. and maybe do a dive together (still with a dive shop) for the third day of diving - something easy and fun. We're spending a week in total, and so we are only doing three half-days of diving and relaxing and exploring the other times. We'll throw in some snorkeling in Hanauma Bay some afternoon too.

It will be a little touristy but it's our first time there (we'll probably go back to Maui over Oahu). Even though the dive shop provides full scuba gear (including wet suit) for the $129 (two tank) dives, we are still bringing our own gear (fins/snorkel/mask/boots/wetsuits) - we'll just use their BCDs and tanks. It should be a lot of fun, and a great way for the misses to get certified and see if she wants to continue diving on future vacations.

Diving in Hawaii has been the most incredible experiences of my life, to date, I'm sure your "Better half" will love it!:eek:

I went with my better half this January, exact same situation. She did the first half of her Open Water cert. at home in pools, then she did her other checkout dives on the same expedition that I was on. It worked perfectly. I even talked her into going on a night dive, which scared the living daylights out of her.

We rented gear for just about that same price, only the BCD and tanks, but we were on the Big Island.
If you ever have a chance to make it over there, I HIGHLY suggest doing a Manta Night Dive with Jacks Dive Locker, it is truly amazing, and I can't even imagine the photo opportunities it would provide.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=26245638

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

I expect you know this already, but in the interests of completeness, even if you're tempted to schedule more dives, plan for 24 hours of not diving prior to flying out to be sure your systems outgas.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.