Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrawles92103

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
San Diego
so I am one of the people Tim Cook was talking about and cast off my mac book air for an iPad Pro. reasonably working out for me thus far however...

someone hacked my iCloud password and it was locked up for over 24 hours. I couldn't get to anything. I want to be able to physically back up my iPad to somewhere other than iCloud but no longer own a Mac. should I buy a used Mac mini strictly for this purpose or is there another alternative I don't know about?

Reactions: webdevfreak

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
It's a good question, though. Why shouldn't iOS have its own backup software it manages?

(No one simultaneously had this thought during an executive meeting.)

> _ >

jrawles92103

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2016
San Diego
Nope. Sorry.
The term "physically back up", definitely means "using a computer".

Actually... I was thinking of a hard drive of some sort.
[doublepost=1466225237][/doublepost]
Nope. Sorry.
The term "physically back up", definitely means "using a computer".
Some sort of external hard drive plugged into the lightening connector. I'm thinking outside of the box. So a standalone hard drive wouldn't be a computer.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It's a good question, though. Why shouldn't iOS have its own backup software it manages?

I would love Apple to do this. Backup to an external Drive would be great.

The whole iOS backup system is flawed as it is. i want to be able to selectively restore things from backups - individual app data. Would make it so much better.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
Usb devices are client / server.. The ipad is the client and the computer it backs up to is the server. In order for an ipad to connect to typical hard disk, the hard disk must be a server. As soon as the iPhone and the ipad move to Firewire, which supports peer to peer transfers without a host, then they will be able to backup to each other. Heh

Hard disk drives are not servers. They are clients that connect to the server. ( host ) and the host has to instate transfers.

Firewire is like scsi as usb is like IDE
Scsi could transfer data between two devices without involving the Cpu because it was Bus mastering
Where as IDE needed the computer's cpu to copy files from one device to the other

Reactions: mmomega and Tycho24

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Usb devices are client / server.. The ipad is the client and the computer it backs up to is the server. In order for an ipad to connect to typical hard disk, the hard disk must be a server. As soon as the iPhone and the ipad move to Firewire, which supports peer to peer transfers without a host, then they will be able to backup to each other. Heh

Hard disk drives are not servers. They are clients that connect to the server. ( host ) and the host has to instate transfers.

Scsi could transfer data between two devices without involving the Cpu because it was Bus mastering
Where as IDE needed the computer's cpu to copy files from one device to the other
I don't think you have that right. The hard disk must be a server in order for an iPad to work? An iPad is just a computer but its OS does not support external storage this way.
Also, Lightning ports do not support FireWire- so it will not be seen in iOS, besides the point that most computers do file transfers even without this port. Again, the OS simply needs to support it.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
so I am one of the people Tim Cook was talking about and cast off my mac book air for an iPad Pro. reasonably working out for me thus far however...

someone hacked my iCloud password and it was locked up for over 24 hours. I couldn't get to anything. I want to be able to physically back up my iPad to somewhere other than iCloud but no longer own a Mac. should I buy a used Mac mini strictly for this purpose or is there another alternative I don't know about?

You should go about restoring the security of your iCloud and appleid, rather than taking a step backwards buying a legacy computer.

Reactions: Skika and Tycho24

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

USB is more like host / client. That said, the iPad is perfectly capable of working as host (as evidenced by the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter). All that's really needed is software that would enable backing up via the Lightning port.

As I've mentioned though, I still don't understand why you can't just use something the the AirPort Time Capsule for a local iCloud-like backup. There's no need for Time Machine's versioning system, even.

Reactions: melman101

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
USB is more like host / client. That said, the iPad is perfectly capable of working as host (as evidenced by the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter). All that's really needed is software that would enable backing up via the Lightning port.

As I've mentioned though, I still don't understand why you can't just use something the the AirPort Time Capsule for a local iCloud-like backup. There's no need for Time Machine's versioning system, even.

Awww yes. You're right. But then you would need device drivers for the device the ipad backs up to.
I never really tested the iPad's output voltage. Its probably not powerful enough to spin up a hard disk

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Awww yes. You're right. But then you would need device drivers for the device the ipad backs up to.
I never really tested the iPad's output voltage. Its probably not powerful enough to spin up a hard disk
You would need USB mass storage drivers and if the iPad can read SD cards and cameras, then it already has those.

A USB-powered 2.5" portable, yeah, maybe the iPad can't provide enough juice for that (more an issue of current rather than voltage). However, external 3.5" desktop drives almost always have their own bricks (owing to the 12V rail) so powering those shouldn't be a problem. Suffice to say, the issue all boils down to software.

That said, this is Apple and it's Apple's way or the highway. A netbook with an Atom CPU slower than the A9X running Windows 7 and a full iTunes install can do full encrypted iDevice backups. However, the iPad Pro is incapable of the same and has to rely on either iCloud or a PC/Mac with iTunes for backup. It doesn't make a lot of sense but if you want to stay in the Apple ecosystem, you pretty much just have to grin and bear it.

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
You can restore and back up via iCloud, yes it takes a bit longer becuase of upload and down load speeds, but the beauty is that then no external devises are required.

If you are set on using an external drive what about SanDisk, I think they have a product that plugs into the Lightning port for backing up.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
All the iPad/Lightning compatible drives and flash disks people have mentioned are all well and good, but iOS has no feature to save a backup image of the whole iPad/iPhone on to an external device.

While I don't disagree that it would be a welcome feature, it just doesn't exist.

The only way to create a true device image backup (physical, not iCloud) is by connecting it to a Mac or PC running iTunes. Sorry.

Reactions: M. Gustave

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
For that matter, why can't you backup directly to Time Machine with iOS devices?

would require granular access to the iOS file system apple is not looking to give.

My time machine is set to send to my NAS (something apple does not want to give natively in iOS, I need synology apps to use resources on the NAS in my case, I can't just type in NAS IP/name and run with it). I have long exception lists for stuff I don't want backed up. My vm image directory as an example. If left to TM i'd be doing large gb backups waaaay too often for small changes, I back these up my own way on my own schedule. Other directories exempt as well. Thing is time machine lets me see these to do this.

Itunes on a computer removes that. Its pretty much set in stone for the one way. You get the big old large image file. Apple even makes it require some work to move where this is stored. There is no gui method in iTunes to not have it go to default location. You have to run cli commands to redirect. I run these to send mine not to internal system drive. several devices would kill my mbp drive fast.

In short....apple really wants you to do full backup of iOS their way. iTunes makes it happen.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
All the iPad/Lightning compatible drives and flash disks people have mentioned are all well and good, but iOS has no feature to save a backup image of the whole iPad/iPhone on to an external device.

While I don't disagree that it would be a welcome feature, it just doesn't exist.

The only way to create a true device image backup (physical, not iCloud) is by connecting it to a Mac or PC running iTunes. Sorry.

The app you download that goes with the drive handles the backup.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
You should go about restoring the security of your iCloud and appleid

The iCloud might be of some value if you only hang out in your basement at home BUT it is ABSOLUTELY and COMPLETELY USELESS when you're in some backcountry village in old Eastern European countries.

So many people talk about the iCloud like it's some kind of nirvana and/or saviour - IT AIN'T.

The OP should explore the SanDisk option cited above.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
would require granular access to the iOS file system apple is not looking to give.

My time machine is set to send to my NAS (something apple does not want to give natively in iOS, I need synology apps to use resources on the NAS in my case, I can't just type in NAS IP/name and run with it). I have long exception lists for stuff I don't want backed up. My vm image directory as an example. If left to TM i'd be doing large gb backups waaaay too often for small changes, I back these up my own way on my own schedule. Other directories exempt as well. Thing is time machine lets me see these to do this.

Itunes on a computer removes that. Its pretty much set in stone for the one way. You get the big old large image file. Apple even makes it require some work to move where this is stored. There is no gui method in iTunes to not have it go to default location. You have to run cli commands to redirect. I run these to send mine not to internal system drive. several devices would kill my mbp drive fast.

In short....apple really wants you to do full backup of iOS their way. iTunes makes it happen.
Perhaps Time Machine is the incorrect term to use. I prefer PC to Mac so I'm unfamiliar with the minutiae of Time Machine. However, something like the AirPort Time Capsule (or one with a slightly beefed up CPU) can include server-side software for creating iCloud-like backups locally.

iOS itself already has code for making incremental backups otherwise iCloud backups would be extremely inefficient and even more of a bandwidth hog. Even iTunes (at least the version for Windows) does only incremental backups so it's only initial backup that's time consuming. iTunes (for Windows, no idea about Mac) doesn't store data as one large image file, either. You get hundreds of thousands of files including a ton of small metadata files.

That said, I do understand why Apple would prefer its customers to use iCloud for backups. I'm just grateful they're even still providing iTunes backup as an alternative.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
The iCloud might be of some value if you only hang out in your basement at home BUT it is ABSOLUTELY and COMPLETELY USELESS when you're in some backcountry village in old Eastern European countries.

Luckily I don't live in one of those. And we're talking about a backup. You can do it back at the hotel, or on the plane, no?

So many people talk about the iCloud like it's some kind of nirvana and/or saviour - IT AIN'T.
The OP should explore the SanDisk option cited above.

There is no "Sandisk option". Unless you're talking about jailbreaking, there are only two options for backing up iPhone data: iCloud, or via iTunes on a pc/mac. That's it. This whole thread is people debating things that are impossible and will never be implemented by AAPL.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The app you download that goes with the drive handles the backup.
No, it doesn't. Not the way the OP wants. iCloud and iTunes. Those are the only two ways to clone and image an iDevice. You cannot back up the entire contents & settings of an iPad to a lightning port flash drive.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Nope, need a PC/Mac with iTunes or iCloud Backup to do a full restore. Really a shame they haven't added a feature to do backups to a Airport Time Capsule (or Extreme with a drive). Seems like a no brainer.

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.