Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I am currently selling my MacBook Pro non touch bar 2016 8gb/ 256gb model on eBay. I set up an auction that started with $950 price, but it didn't sell. its in excellent condition, only 33 cycles and even has an AppleCare protection plan. :/ is the price I'm willing to accept it too high? are there any ways I can sell the MacBook Pro besides eBay that I will get a good selling value? I live in a small town so craigslist is really not a good option.

Last edited:

darkloki

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Orange County California
I think everyone want's the touchbar now, also the larger trackpad is also very attractive as well however this version would only net you an additional $500 I would imagine.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I think everyone want's the touchbar now, also the larger trackpad is also very attractive as well however this version would only net you an additional $500 I would imagine.

should I lower down the price? I checked the other MacBook Pro that have the same specs and some of them are even listed higher than mine. :/

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Have you tried swappa.com? They might be the next best bet if you weren't able to get your asking price on eBay

no I have never tried swappa, is it a good place to sell stuff? I have tried to sell my Apple Watch there but it ended up selling on eBay so I cancelled my post there.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
no I have never tried swappa, is it a good place to sell stuff? I have tried to sell my Apple Watch there but it ended up selling on eBay so I cancelled my post there.

I can't say from personal experience. Like you I was going to sell some stuff there but ended up selling it privately. I hear it is good though and seems to get many recommendations here.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
You have the 2.0/8/128?

Check eBay “sold” listings to see what they actually sell for. $950 seems high.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
You have the 2.0/8/128?

Check eBay “sold” listings to see what they actually sell for. $950 seems high.

Opps I have the 8gb 256gb! I put it as 900 now for auction. I just thought since it still has an AppleCare protection plan somehow I could price it for 950 :/
[doublepost=1538967659][/doublepost]
I can't say from personal experience. Like you I was going to sell some stuff there but ended up selling it privately. I hear it is good though and seems to get many recommendations here.

I checked swappa, some of them are even selling the MacBook Pro same specs as mine for 1000! I was just hoping to get rid of it soon since I wanna purchase a new one.

kenvip88

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Ho Chi Minh
How much are you willing to sell it. How long is the AppleCare Plan remains?
2016 non touch is 2.0 chip so may be they are in to the 2.3 chip in 2017

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
How much are you willing to sell it. How long is the AppleCare Plan remains?
2016 non touch is 2.0 chip so may be they are in to the 2.3 chip in 2017

The apple care lasts until December 26, 2019. I was hoping to get at least 950. Is that too high?

jakespeed

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I have had great luck on Swappa having sold a few laptops. Their policy of requiring a serial number + auction # in picture ensures that its not filled with online stores but rather people like us looking to sell a single item for a fair price. Their fee structure is also much more fair vs EBAY. Only drawback I have seen is that people will low ball you in the comments but I have just stuck to a fair price and always sold.

Reactions: SDColorado

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

The 2016 non Touch Bar MBP has the same large trackpad as the Touch Bar version. Same screen, footprint, and a bit better battery life. No Touch ID, Touch Bar, only 2 TB ports, and different CPU.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Would 800 be too low for my computer?

I think not, that's a good price with Apple care. I have the same model no Apple care. I believe I looked at what I could get for trade in at Apple and it was $850 apple gift card. You can do the same if you want an apple gift card. You can also cancel your Apple care and get refunded the remainder of it's policy.

I am not sure if you plan on upgrading or just want the cash?

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Start the auction at 99 cents and watch the bids roll in. You can set a reserve if you wish but most likely you will get close to your estimate. You will attract many more people. When people see starting prices of $900 they are instantly turned off. Just human psychology.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
One has to be realistic.
The 2016 MBP's have a bad reputation due to the keyboard failures.
They're not going to be as easy to sell as other MBPs...

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
They have a keyboard replacement program in place. It should have little impact on price. The biggest factors will be age of machine, specs, warranty.

kenvip88

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Ho Chi Minh
You have to wait for Genius Bar taking care of it
And the problem with the screen's cable make the screen blackout
That's about 2016 MBP

darkloki

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Orange County California
I have touchbar and I never use it in fact I'd go as far as to say I enjoy and appreciate the fingerprint reader more then the touchbar. But it's only a matter of time before that too is removed and we have face ID for the Macbook Pro as well right?

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I am currently selling my MacBook Pro non touch bar 2016 8gb/ 256gb model on eBay. I set up an auction that started with $950 price, but it didn't sell. its in excellent condition, only 33 cycles and even has an AppleCare protection plan. :/ is the price I'm willing to accept it too high? are there any ways I can sell the MacBook Pro besides eBay that I will get a good selling value? I live in a small town so craigslist is really not a good option.

It didn't sell because you started the bidding at $950. That's ridiculous. No one wants their first bid to be $950. That's not a bid; that's a purchase. I always start my no reserve auctions at $10 and let folks get into a bidding war, and I've never lost money on anything I've ever sold on eBay. Start at $10; that low price will lure people in. Then watch as someone else bids $20, then $30, then $50, then $100. People come to eBay for a great deal, and if they think they can bid $150 for your computer and own it, they will. The key is not to get panicky. Remember, eBay attracts a huge audience; someone in another part of the country will always bid more, and if you just let the process play out, you'll probably get your $950. Maybe more. However...tough love sidenote: your 2016 nTB MBP isn't worth a whole lot on the open market, probably $600 or $700 at the most, but you never know. Do an "advanced" search for your model of MBP on eBay and select the filter, "Sold Listings" From there, you can see what 2016 MacBook Pros like yours have sold for in the last xx days. Good luck!

Last edited:

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
It didn't sell because you started the bidding at $950. That's ridiculous. No one wants their first bid to be $950. That's not a bid; that's a purchase. I always start my no reserve auctions at $10 and let folks get into a bidding war, and I've never lost money on anything I've ever sold on eBay. Start at $10; that low price will lure people in. Then watch as someone else bids $20, then $30, then $50, then $100. People come to eBay for a great deal, and if they think they can bid $150 for your computer and own it, they will. The key is not to get panicky. Remember, eBay attracts a huge audience; someone in another part of the country will always bid more, and if you just let the process play out, you'll probably get your $950. Maybe more. However...tough love sidenote: your 2016 nTB MBP isn't worth a whole lot on the open market, probably $600 or $700 at the most, but you never know. Do an "advanced" search for your model of MBP on eBay and select the filter, "Sold Listings" From there, you can see what 2016 MacBook Pros like yours have sold for in the last xx days. Good luck!

thank you!! someone is currently offering me a 925 for it. I'm thinking of considering it. I just hope I am not selling it too low since I see others pricing theirs that has the same specs as mine but their prices are even higher. this is my second time relisting the item, I feel like the longer I wait the lower the price of the MacBook will be! should I just accept the offer or wait till the bidding ends again? I currently have 6 watchers, but the first time I have posted the listing I have at least 7 watchers but none of them bid. :/ lol
[doublepost=1539136509][/doublepost]
Start the auction at 99 cents and watch the bids roll in. You can set a reserve if you wish but most likely you will get close to your estimate. You will attract many more people. When people see starting prices of $900 they are instantly turned off. Just human psychology.

I used to do it that way and always started the bid so low, i always got unlucky too with the bid prices. someone told me to instead set the price I'm willing to accept on starting bid, which now I tried to do, but I guess its not a good idea!!
[doublepost=1539136543][/doublepost]
I think not, that's a good price with Apple care. I have the same model no Apple care. I believe I looked at what I could get for trade in at Apple and it was $850 apple gift card. You can do the same if you want an apple gift card. You can also cancel your Apple care and get refunded the remainder of it's policy.

I am not sure if you plan on upgrading or just want the cash?

checked it on apple trade in and now they're only taking it for 615! :/

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The 2016 non Touch Bar MBP has the same large trackpad as the Touch Bar version. Same screen, footprint, and a bit better battery life. No Touch ID, Touch Bar, only 2 TB ports, and different CPU.

2x2 wifi, so a bit more limited in that regard than the others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.