Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
I disagree, at least on paper it's a strong update in terms of performance.

What I do wonder though is how does that performance translate? Because even if the M1 is able to push 10%, 15% or even 20% faster than the A12Z... is that going to come across in 95% of the use cases? No, it's not.

Then again, with most technologically related upgrades, the increases in capabilities are rarely due to necessity and instead provide a path towards greater functionality once utilized.

Reactions: calstanford

scoobysnax

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
I think this update was big in the sense that iPad Pro now has the infrastructure (primarily M1 and Thunderbolt) to build something special if it’s accompanied by capable software.

That’s the excitement/hope people have. It’ll be a huge disappointment (to me) of iOS 15 is just another update.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I think this update was big in the sense that iPad Pro now has the infrastructure (primarily M1 and Thunderbolt) to build something special if it’s accompanied by capable software.

That’s the excitement/hope people have. It’ll be a huge disappointment (to me) of iOS 15 is just another update.

For me, it's RAM and Thunderbolt. M1-level was natural progression from A12Z if you look at A12 to A14. RAM is where Apple used to be so stingy.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Perfect update. AMK gen 1 will actually work on the 12.9. If they had ‘updated’ it any more...... anyways.

SamboSoul

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2020
still on my 2017 iPad Pro here, I was so close to buying the new 11“ yesterday but I just can’t get over the fact that they have not put the new mini-LED into it and still use the ‚old‘ display. Otherwise I would have placed the order right away. The technological advancement in display technology has always been one of the main reasons for me to upgrade devices, be it iPhone, iMac or iPad. I will wait another year.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
still on my 2017 iPad Pro here, I was so close to buying the new 11“ yesterday but I just can’t get over the fact that they have not put the new mini-LED into it and still use the ‚old‘ display. Otherwise I would have placed the order right away. The technological advancement in display technology has always been one of the main reasons for me to upgrade devices, be it iPhone, iMac or iPad. I will wait another year.

No doubt the next iPad Pro release will have 11" miniLED screens... I can hear the presentation clearly already:

"...and today, we've brought the 12.9" Liquid Retina XDR display to the 11" model..."

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
No doubt the next iPad Pro release will have 11" miniLED screens... I can hear the presentation clearly already:

"...and today, we've brought the 12.9" Liquid Retina XDR display to the 11" model..."
I just have a feeling that’s a year and a half away. That’s normally the release window between iPad Pros, except this year. I believe that was due to the lackluster 2020 upgrade.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Seems the new IPad isn’t worth updating unless you have an older model before it went to 11” screen. Not much of an update on last years. Same with Apple TV at a push maybe worth buying the remote?
Most hardware updates, whether they be tablets, phones, computers, etc. aren't really for people who have the last model, since most people don't update their devices that often. As you say, it's a good upgrade for people with older models.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’m actually a little pumped now that the dust has settled on the announcement that the chips in these new iPads smoke the current iphones

it isn’t just a graphical boost and higher clock variant

cool new cadence

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Seems the new IPad isn’t worth updating unless you have an older model before it went to 11” screen. Not much of an update on last years. Same with Apple TV at a push maybe worth buying the remote?
Arguably all the updates have been weak since 2018

I’m looking forward to a huge spec bump for roughly $333 a year

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Errr…
  • 50% faster CPU
  • 40% faster GPU
  • Greatly improved XDR display on the 12.9” (brightness and contrast ratio improvements)
  • Better TrueDepth front camera system with Center Stage
  • 33-166% more RAM depending on storage configuration
  • 5G cellular connectivity
  • Thunderbolt
That’s pretty good if you ask me.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012

Last year update was weak, it was basically the same iPad as the 2018 version, except with 1 extra GPU power.

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
This year's update is weak too. I cancelled my preorder. It's way way way too expensive for what it is. The 11" is the same model as before with a faster chip/more RAM. Both things my iPad doesn't need. It's not a Mac that can multitask properly. It's basically a single task machine. And the 'M1' could have been named A14X. An upgrade for sure, but the A12X was no slouch.
Screen unchanged. I don't have 5G here. So erm... yea not worth $1300 or so that I specc'ed

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
This year's update is weak too. I cancelled my preorder. It's way way way too expensive for what it is. The 11" is the same model as before with a faster chip/more RAM. Both things my iPad doesn't need. It's not a Mac that can multitask properly. It's basically a single task machine. And the 'M1' could have been named A14X. An upgrade for sure, but the A12X was no slouch.
Screen unchanged. I don't have 5G here. So erm... yea not worth $1300 or so that I specc'ed
have to wonder why you even bothered to preorder, you had a week or so to think about upgrading. and why would you cancel so early? you got at least three weeks before it would even ship. they don't charge until shipment. Thats a lot of time to change your mind.

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Errr…
  • 50% faster CPU
  • 40% faster GPU
  • Greatly improved XDR display on the 12.9” (brightness and contrast ratio improvements)
  • Better TrueDepth front camera system with Center Stage
  • 33-166% more RAM depending on storage configuration
  • 5G cellular connectivity
  • Thunderbolt
That’s pretty good if you ask me.
procreate 4x faster with the M1, time will tell how everything else performs but it should be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.