Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Most hardware updates, whether they be tablets, phones, computers, etc. aren't really for people who have the last model, since most people don't update their devices that often. As you say, it's a good upgrade for people with older models.
definitely an upgrade over my 10.5 pro

Reactions: iamMacPerson

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Seems the new IPad isn’t worth updating unless you have an older model before it went to 11” screen. Not much of an update on last years. Same with Apple TV at a push maybe worth buying the remote?

I am thinking more along the lines of upgrading while my 2018 iPad Pro still has some decent resale value. The 11” model appears to still be backwards compatible with my existing accessories (smart keyboard, Apple Pencil), so the transition seems straightforward enough.

Reactions: iamMacPerson

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I'm upgrading for the bigger and better screen. I watch a lot of content on my iPad so the nicer screen is important to me. I think it's a pretty big update.

Reactions: the future

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
The ONLY reason I upgraded was because my 10.5 iPP‘s battery isn’t upto par and the 64 GB storage is getting long in the tooth.

We’ll see how iPad OS shapes up with M1.

I really wish there were some real competition for the iPads.

Reactions: Benhama

Maven1975

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2008
I'm upgrading for the bigger and better screen. I watch a lot of content on my iPad so the nicer screen is important to me. I think it's a pretty big update.
You will love the 12.9 screen! Its a totally different device at 12.9 - think this is why 11” users see the iPad the way they do. I love thin and light laptops and, at the time of release, thought the 12.9 was stupid carton sized and basically ugly.

Then later in 2019 I was runnning out of flicker free options in Apples ecosystem. Decided to replace my couch surfing 11“ to try the 12.9 as my daily device. Once iPadOS was released, it was game over. I was in love with the 12.9 as webpages formatted correctly, plenty of canvas to multitask on and felt like an entirely new computing experience.

The 11” is fantastic and works great for gaming and consumption. I could not see myself using it to create and or work on daily as its just to cramped FOR ME and my workflow.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
procreate 4x faster with the M1, time will tell how everything else performs but it should be good.
I wouldn't read too much into their press statement... my guess is the new version of Procreate has more to influence that performance increase than the M1 does. It's obvious the M1 is faster than the A12Z, but it's not 4 times faster, it's actually only going to be closer to 15% to 20% faster. I say "only" like thats not a pretty impressive speed bump when you're already dealing with the fastest tablet on the market heh.

Reactions: secretk

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think for most people it would be a big upgrade and if WWDC brings big iPadOS features then the upgrade would be massive.

we will see in a few months time.

Reactions: Never mind

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Seems the new IPad isn’t worth updating unless you have an older model before it went to 11” screen. Not much of an update on last years. Same with Apple TV at a push maybe worth buying the remote?
I guess it really depends on what you use your iPad/Pro for, for some people the M1 with 16GB RAM and Thunderbolt may be what they had been waiting for to make the jump, although we are yet to see how the 16GB RAM will benefit it as even on my 2020 iPad Pro the 6GB RAM seems plentiful for heavy web browsing and gaming.

iPad OS 15 may just be the big thing here that will separate the new iPad Pros from everything else, who knows though.

So for you it’s a weak update, for others the story may well be very different.

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
I think it's unrealistic to expect revolutionary changes in technology every year. Especially during a year like 2020. The biggest limitations of the 2018 iPads are related more to software and interface than hardware. I do photography. For a while camera tech was changing rapidly. Sensors were getting denser and producing less and less noise. Focusing systems were improving, etc. Now, changes are pretty incremental and for most of us make no difference with respect to image quality. The tech between our ears is much more important than the tech in our equipment. Now at some point there might be revolutionary changes in sensor technology. But tech changes have been very incremental for many years. I suspect the vast majority of users won't perceive any difference in speed between the A12x and the M1. That may change if more demanding software becomes available in the future. I'm a statistician and am constantly analyzing data and writing reports. For at least 95% of what I do it really doesn't matter what processor I'm using. I'm the bottleneck. Once in a while I have to do something like running thousands multi-level generalized linear models to generate bootstrapped standard errors. On those rare occasions processor speed actually matters. I'm guessing (PURE SPECULATION) is that Apple intended to bring mini LED to both the 12.9" and 11" pros this year and used the older screen tech because they realized supply was going to be a major barrier. A 2018 iPad Pro is still one heck of compelling device.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I think it's unrealistic to expect revolutionary changes in technology every year. Especially during a year like 2020. The biggest limitations of the 2018 iPads are related more to software and interface than hardware. I do photography. For a while camera tech was changing rapidly. Sensors were getting denser and producing less and less noise. Focusing systems were improving, etc. Now, changes are pretty incremental and for most of us make no difference with respect to image quality. The tech between our ears is much more important than the tech in our equipment. Now at some point there might be revolutionary changes in sensor technology. But tech changes have been very incremental for many years. I suspect the vast majority of users won't perceive any difference in speed between the A12x and the M1. That may change if more demanding software becomes available in the future. I'm a statistician and am constantly analyzing data and writing reports. For at least 95% of what I do it really doesn't matter what processor I'm using. I'm the bottleneck. Once in a while I have to do something like running thousands multi-level generalized linear models to generate bootstrapped standard errors. On those rare occasions processor speed actually matters. I'm guessing (PURE SPECULATION) is that Apple intended to bring mini LED to both the 12.9" and 11" pros this year and used the older screen tech because they realized supply was going to be a major barrier. A 2018 iPad Pro is still one heck of compelling device.
Indeed, and incremental updates eventually add up. I know for me personally what has helped is that I upgrade my iPads every 3-4 years, in fact I kept my iPad Air 2 for even longer before jumping on to the 2020 iPad Pro so for me that was a nice upgrade because all the incremental upgrades added up over the years.

Come to think of it, most people would probably be fine with the original 2015 iPad Pro in reality and if they want something newer with High Refresh Rate Display they could still get a 2018 iPad Pro and be happy for years to come.

I strongly considered trading in my 2020 A12Z iPad Pro 11” 256GB for a 2021 M1 iPad Pro 12.9 1TB but the more I thought about it the less sense it made when I cannot even push my 2020 iPad Pro to its limit with my usage, lol, every night I go to bed with my iPad Pro sitting at 50-60% battery, having used it to stream YouTube, stream news, read articles, check social media, web browse and check/respond to personal emails. I tried playing Asphalt the other day and the question that came to my mind is “why am I doing this on my iPad when I have my PS4 and 4K TV right here“. For me in the pre-COVID days my iPads made for great travel companions to watch downloaded Netflix series and movies as well as keeping up with work when I don’t want to take my laptop out it’s bag, but with COVID-19 I have done very little of that and am working from home.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
Um..
Going from 70 LEDs to 10,000 micro-LEDs is like going from standard definition to 4k HDR.

You won't know it until you see it, but the screen is going to be the most ridiculously insane quality. It's one of those things that watching the keynote online or watching a YouTube video doesn't justify because you are still limited by the screen you are watching the video on. Kind of like when you try to watch a YouTube video review of a gaming monitor that does 240hz, but the YouTube video is limited to 60hz.

Then you have the M1 chip (5nm), 5ghz, full monitor output capability.

This is probably one of the most significant upgrades in the history of iPads. Then consider that if you buy the cellular iPad, the providers are giving back $200 which makes the cost the same as the WIFI! I have Verizon and I pay $10 for UNLIMITED data. That is literally insane as I can travel anywhere and use it all day every day for that flat $10. (that is with me having cell phones, they discount the tablet cellular from I think $15 down to $10).

This is probably the upgrade that you will be able to use for the next 5 years with no issues.

Reactions: the future

Gilowyn

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2021
still on my 2017 iPad Pro here, I was so close to buying the new 11“ yesterday but I just can’t get over the fact that they have not put the new mini-LED into it and still use the ‚old‘ display.

reason I went 12.9” this time, despite not being all that unhappy with my 10.5 size from 2017.

2018 upgrade never tempted me, 2020 did a bit but not enough. But that screen, M1 plus 8gb Ram? Yeah, I think this is a crazy good update. The M1 alone would have been dope, and I trust that with its power, I won’t miss the 16gb ram (that I just couldn’t justify) any time soon,

Reactions: rui no onna

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I'm still rocking a 1st gen 12.9" with an annoying glowing white hotspot on the display some 2 inches above the home-button. Compared to that, the 12.9" 1TB/16GB I ordered yesterday is going to be a huge upgrade and I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to keep that for as long as I've used my 1st gen iPad Pro. It's all relative.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
reason I went 12.9” this time, despite not being all that unhappy with my 10.5 size from 2017.

2018 upgrade never tempted me, 2020 did a bit but not enough. But that screen, M1 plus 8gb Ram? Yeah, I think this is a crazy good update. The M1 alone would have been dope, and I trust that with its power, I won’t miss the 16gb ram (that I just couldn’t justify) any time soon,

The 2018 actually tempted me a lot but I couldn't stomach the $1899 ($2100+ with tax) pricing for 1TB LTE. The 2020, it didn't seem worth paying $1649 ($1800+ with tax) for what is essentially the same iPad as 2018.

Incremental updates have added up and at this point I'd gotten resigned to the $1800+ pricing to make the 2021 worth it to me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What sort of update that you had in mind?

While its true upgrading annually will have a much much smaller incremental change, this years update is significant - the processor, graphics, display, memory, storage. Nearly every component/part of the iPad has been improved

I'm coming from a 10.5 going to 12.9 but still even with 11" models, this is a nice jump up

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
still on my 2017 iPad Pro here, I was so close to buying the new 11“ yesterday but I just can’t get over the fact that they have not put the new mini-LED into it and still use the ‚old‘ display. Otherwise I would have placed the order right away. The technological advancement in display technology has always been one of the main reasons for me to upgrade devices, be it iPhone, iMac or iPad. I will wait another year.

I have a 10.5 Pro, and if I was after an 11" then I'd be skipping this and waiting for the 11" Mini-LED. In fact, even if I was in for an 11" from anything else I'd still wait. I see this 11" as the iPad 3 of this gen, where it will likely get replaced in 6 or so months with the Mini-LED version.

I only upgraded from my 10.5" because I wanted to go 12.9 as I wanted the bigger screen, and because my arms aren't made of cocktail sticks I can carry/hold it.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Indeed, and incremental updates eventually add up. I know for me personally what has helped is that I upgrade my iPads every 3-4 years, in fact I kept my iPad Air 2 for even longer before jumping on to the 2020 iPad Pro so for me that was a nice upgrade because all the incremental upgrades added up over the years.
This is the way I think about it. I no longer have the urge to upgrade every year like I used to and allow the updates to build up for a better deal. I started with the original iPad, jumped to the iPad 2, laterally moved to the iPad mini then the mini 2, jumped up to the Air 2, then the 10.5 Pro and now the 12.9 M1 Pro. Each upgrade had a purpose though. With my original iPad, I only got 16GB and the single core CPU was already showing it’s age when iOS 5 dropped. iPad 2 set the design standard for the next 3 generations of iPad, had the dual core A5 and allowed me to correct my 16GB mistake. The mini was a great buy in a pre-iPhone Plus world, even if it had the same CPU as the iPad 2 (I got a super deal on it though). Mini 2 was a huge performance leap over the original mini. Air 2 allowed me to move back to the larger iPad after buying the iPhone 6 Plus and neglecting my iPad Mini. That iPad still is, IMO, the single biggest leap iPad ever made. 2x the RAM, 2x the CPU performance, Touch ID, laminated display and more. The 10.5 Pro brought the first screen size increase to the original iPad form factor, Touch ID 2, increased the RAM by 25% and the CPU performance by 90%, as well as a 120Hz display.

What does this new iPad offer over the last gen? 66% better CPU performance, 33-166% more RAM, Center Stage and upgraded front camera, miniLED, Thunderbolt. For me and others moving to the M1 from a home button iPad, we’re also getting Face ID for the first time (Face ID > Touch ID, except for face masks), USB-C versus Lightning, better speakers, and an all new design. For me, the performance jump from the A12Z to the M1 makes the extra money over buying a 2020 model on sale worth it. Even if WWDC doesn’t pan out, it will be supported for years longer to come. And if my previous trends continue, I’ll probably have this iPad until 2025-2026 when that 66% CPU jump will matter.

Reactions: Tsepz

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I think from a hardware point of view it was a massive upgrade. On the 12.9” I couldn’t have ask for anymore. Maybe a second port or a bigger screen at a stretch?

Still not buying it though because my problem with iPad Pro now is software and has been for many years. The only thing I could really take advantage of in terms of the hardware is the new display, but if I cared that much about the quality of the content I was going to watch, I’d just wait and watch it on my Oled tv rather than an iPad ?

Apple will no doubt get my money again when they make significant software improvements but not before :confused:

Reactions: mr_jomo

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
The 2021 12.9 iPad Pro is a super hardware-update: huge improvement in screen technology, a massive step up in CPU and GPU performance, RAM increase, improved facetime camera, and connectivity (thunderbolt and 5G).

Will I buy it - no ... at least not until software leaps forward significantly.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
I went back and forth deciding between a new iPad 12.9 inch, to a iMac 24“ then contemplated waiting for the 14“ MacBook Pro than went back again to the iPad 12.9 inch with cellular. With a veterans discount and trade in, The cost will be $1299 (original cost $2298) which is much more palatable. Now I hope WWDC will come through with some apps, but if not I can always send back the system or cancel the order if need be. My 2020 iPad 11 inch is working just fine but I’ve got that itch for the new screen, M1 chip and 16 GB. One terabyte of storage is never needed for me

Last edited:

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
What nonsense. This is the biggest iPad update since iPads lost the home button. Stop trying to justify your decision to not upgrade. Unless you work for Samsung.

tbh, if i had a 2018 or 2020 version, I would pass on it unless I was going to a 12.9

but from my 10.5 should be a nice upgrade and thats why i ordered one... just a plain 11 inch.. all i need.

heck the air 4 my wife is using is an upgrade over her 10.5... she says the performance diff is very noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.