Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
A discussion just happened where someone reports Apple has confirmed that the stainless steel Milanese bands are ”stronger than the aluminum watch body” and could bend the body. Supposedly you shouldn use this combo. The person said they confirmed this with Apple (two sources). So is it true they can bend the watch and that this is NOT covered by AppleCare?? I’m having trouble believing this, but searches have turned up nothing.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Why would someone want to cheapen the looks of any stainless steel band by putting it on an aluminum watch body? The two metals are very different and I wouldn't think that they would look all that nice together..... Just my off-the-top-of-my-head thought, though. (Disclaimer: owner of stainless steel Series 0 and Series 3 Space Black watch. When I bought the new watch I finally removed the SSB link band from the Series 0 and put it on the new watch, then put a sports band on the series 0 since it is still running just fine and who knows, I might want a change in bands and the overall look every now and then.....)

Reactions: caligurl

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Lol I have a space gray watch that I change band colors on all the time.. I’m getting a Milanese silver band because I love them. I have a third party one and I wear what I like. I don’t need to impress anyone and certainly would never have thought about cheapening the look of a band?? Enjoy life, wear what you like I say. And just because I couldn’t afford a SS watch doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy and appreciate a SS band right?

I’d like to know if the combo is bad, so I asked. Having a SS watch would be great but my budget isn’t there. Now I’m sure it won’t hurt the precious Milanese bands ego if I put it on an aluminum body. I think it’s amusing how people get uppity over such things. ;)
So the question remains.. is the aluminum body going to stand up to the SS lugs?
[doublepost=1514865833][/doublepost]
Why would someone want to cheapen the looks of any stainless steel band by putting it on an aluminum watch body? The two metals are very different and I wouldn't think that they would look all that nice together..... Just my off-the-top-of-my-head thought, though. (Disclaimer: owner of stainless steel Series 0 and Series 3 Space Black watch. When I bought the new watch I finally removed the SSB link band from the Series 0 and put it on the new watch, then put a sports band on the series 0 since it is still running just fine and who knows, I might want a change in bands and the overall look every now and then.....)

Just noticed you are close to a store.. which I’m not.. I’d be curious to know what they would tell you. But then I’m sure they like selling expensive bands and would say it’s fine on a aluminum watch but maybe not? If you get bored, try it :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A discussion just happened where someone reports Apple has confirmed that the stainless steel Milanese bands are ”stronger than the aluminum watch body” and could bend the body. Supposedly you shouldn use this combo. The person said they confirmed this with Apple (two sources). So is it true they can bend the watch and that this is NOT covered by AppleCare?? I’m having trouble believing this, but searches have turned up nothing.

I'm not exactly sure how the stainless bands could bend the aluminum if they're secure inside the port? The only way I could think of this happening would be if somebody was having issues removing the Stainless band, which could cause the bending if the band was stuck inside the port by using to much force removing the band.

Personally, I think this is a non-issue, but it's possible because Stainless is stronger than aluminum. If you do use Stainless bands on the aluminum watch, I would just be cautious when inserting and removing them.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I’m betting it’s a non issue too, but wanted to throw it out there to see what you all know. I think it’s someone spouting “info” that they got in there head somewhere, just like the factual info I heard a Best Buy employee tell a mom shopping for a teenager (Christmas time).. he told her that the 42 is for boys and the 38 is for girls. He said it with a tone that meant there was no choice, that’s just what everyone gets, based on gender. The things you hear. Sigh

Reactions: nicho

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
At the store the day I bought the Series 3 watch, yes, the Apple guy who was working with me did have a difficult time getting the stainless steel band off my old SS series 0 watch, but part of that may be that I had never changed bands since the day I got that watch two and a half years ago. I've kept the older watch and have put a sports band on it just for fun and if I eventually buy any more bands will use the Series 0 as the one which gets the swapped bands, leaving the black SS link band on the newer watch. Anyway, just mentioning that because I can see where there MIGHT be a problem connecting and removing a stainless steel band from an aluminum watch, if there is meant to be a snugger fit or something with the heavier band. I agree with Relentless Power that if you do go this route, be careful when inserting and removing the stainless steel band!

Next time I'm in the Apple store, if I remember, I'll ask one of the sales associates just out of curiosity what their thoughts are on using a stainless steel band with an aluminum watch.....

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Cool thanks! I wish we had an Apple store here, but the closest one is 3 hours away

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Do you have a link to the original discussion?

Are you talking about the $200. Apple Milanese band or a cheap knock off version?

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Do you have a link to the original discussion?

Are you talking about the $200. Apple Milanese band or a cheap knock off version?
The comment was made in a Facebook group. And it was about the real Apple version

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I have a stainless steel watch now but regularly wore a Milanese loop with my silver aluminium watch. It looks good (in my opinion the contrast between the two metals means the strap looks nicer on the aluminium watch than on the stainless steel). I don’t see what problem it’s likely to cause (based on a couple of swapping one on and off an aluminium watch without incident).
[doublepost=1515368183][/doublepost]Oh and if I click on the Milanese loop on the Apple Store app it shows it as being compatible with both m,y stainless steel and aluminium watches.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I had a Space Black Milanese Loop for my Series 0 Watch that I now use it on my Space Gray aluminum Series 3 Watch. They look fine together and I’ve had no problems otherwise. I take it on and off frequently without any difficulties.

victoriani

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
Hertfordshire, UK
I have just recently purchased the Apple Space black Milanese loop for my space grey sport Apple Watch and they look fantastic together. No issues with bending etc. It’s a great combo.

Attachments

• 585E59A5-8447-4003-B191-3026777D0084.jpeg
    585E59A5-8447-4003-B191-3026777D0084.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 4,983
  • 8AD6350B-186E-4FDA-A2D9-6A9CDE125502.jpeg
    8AD6350B-186E-4FDA-A2D9-6A9CDE125502.jpeg
    470.6 KB · Views: 3,419

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
If you buy an Aluminium watch and buy a stainless steel accesory band, you need to set priorities straight. I'd rather bite the bullet with an upfront watch payment than expensive accesories.

victoriani

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
Hertfordshire, UK
If you buy an Aluminium watch and buy a stainless steel accesory band, you need to set priorities straight. I'd rather bite the bullet with an upfront watch payment than expensive accesories.

I purchased it on Amazon from an authorised Apple seller for £132. So cheaper than directly from Apple. I chose to purchase an aluminium watch because it was lighter than stainless steel. Each to their own.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I wasn’t a fan of the silver Milanese on the dark gray watch look. I also wouldn’t want the stainless anywhere near the easily scratched glass watch face.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I wasn’t a fan of the silver Milanese on the dark gray watch look. I also wouldn’t want the stainless anywhere near the easily scratched glass watch face.

Personally I think if someone is scratching a watch face with a band, they just don’t care. I can’t see any reason for the two coming in contact and I’ve put Milanese bands on many many times.

Reactions: rnj79

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011

Nah. You’ve got it exactly backward. The watch is disposable. You’ll be ready for a new one every couple of years as the technology marches on, your battery weakens, and your product becomes obsolete. But a nice stainless steel band - that’s an investment that you can keep around as long as the watch continues to use the same adapter/attachment points. Maybe longer if you can get a jeweler to modify it down the road.

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
I have both colors (silver and space black) of the milanese band and I totally prefer the look of the silver one even though my watch is space gray. Also, to bend aluminum you'd need to be really angry and negligent at the same time. Steel is a heavier denser metal and is more durable than aluminum, but both are METALS, not plastic. They're not brittle or bendable at all. This is nothing but an exaggerated rumor.
[doublepost=1521478926][/doublepost]
Nah. You’ve got it exactly backward. The watch is disposable. You’ll be ready for a new one every couple of years as the technology marches on, your battery weakens, and your product becomes obsolete. But a nice stainless steel band - that’s an investment that you can keep around as long as the watch continues to use the same adapter/attachment points. Maybe longer if you can get a jeweler to modify it down the road.
Also - what Achilles75 said. It's far more important to me that my watch bands (which acumulate over time) are quality and I'm able to use them for a long time as the watch will need to be upgraded within a couple of years.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I don’t really wear my Milanese loop now that I have a stainless steel watch. It looks much better with the aluminium watch body in my view. Each to their own though.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

So they should align their priorities with yours, or are we free to wear whatever band we want with whatever watch we want? I think it is odd to have an opinion about what people’s watch and band priorities should be. Hobby? I have an aluminum watch bc my priority has been to get a new one with each iteration and I don’t want my purchases to go down as much in value. I love switching bands on a daily basis and I buy cheap and expensive bands...and that is my priority.

Reactions: rnj79

Mjoshea148

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2012
I have a stainless steel watch now but regularly wore a Milanese loop with my silver aluminium watch. It looks good (in my opinion the contrast between the two metals means the strap looks nicer on the aluminium watch than on the stainless steel). I don’t see what problem it’s likely to cause (based on a couple of swapping one on and off an aluminium watch without incident).
[doublepost=1515368183][/doublepost]Oh and if I click on the Milanese loop on the Apple Store app it shows it as being compatible with both m,y stainless steel and aluminium watches.

Have the same setup: AW3, 38MM with Apple Milanese stainless. No issues.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I also have an aluminum AW3 and the SS Milanese Loop is my preferred band along with the sport loop. I switch between them almost every day, sometimes several times a day, and have never had a problem. I'm not sure how a band could "bend" the watch, to be honest?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.