Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterBigMack

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
I have just recently purchased the Apple Space black Milanese loop for my space grey sport Apple Watch and they look fantastic together. No issues with bending etc. It’s a great combo.

Does look great - I’ve just posted a thread on here actually ans you’ve answered my question - I don’t like the sport band that comes with the aluminium watch but like the sport loop but also like the black Milanese loop but was skeptical about how it would look

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I personally like it!

Space Black Milanese on Space Gray Series 4

IMG_2725.jpeg
IMG_2724.jpeg

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
A discussion just happened where someone reports Apple has confirmed that the stainless steel Milanese bands are ”stronger than the aluminum watch body” and could bend the body. Supposedly you shouldn use this combo. The person said they confirmed this with Apple (two sources). So is it true they can bend the watch and that this is NOT covered by AppleCare?? I’m having trouble believing this, but searches have turned up nothing.
After using a Milanase band with an aluminum watch off and on for 2 years, I can confirm that your second-hand rumor is incorrect. The band will not bend the body in normal use.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
After using a Milanase band with an aluminum watch off and on for 2 years, I can confirm that your second-hand rumor is incorrect. The band will not bend the body in normal use.

I've also never had an issue with it. The Milanese loop looks great with the aluminium watch; I prefer it to the matchy-matchy look of the Milanese loop with the stainless steel watch (to the extent that if I wear my Milanese loop it's always with my aluminium watch).

I think I may have posted this before (if so, sorry for repeating myself) but if I go onto the Apple Store and select the Milanese loop it shows as compatible with my SS S3 watch and my aluminium S0 which would mean Apple couldn't really exclude resulting damage from AppleCare+.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

just wondering... is there any marks of corrosion on the watch body? aluminium and stainless steel is affected by galvanic corrosion when there are salts (chlorides) involved (=sweat).

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
just wondering... is there any marks of corrosion on the watch body? aluminium and stainless steel is affected by galvanic corrosion when there are salts (chlorides) involved (=sweat).
The anodizing process on the aluminum watches seems to act as an insulator. I have no corrosion of the lugs on the band or on the watch itself.

Reactions: staggerlee41

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
The anodizing process on the aluminum watches seems to act as an insulator. I have no corrosion of the lugs on the band or on the watch itself.

yes, aluminium has this feature, but the feature is gone when salts are around. there are lots of studies coupling these two metals and when chlorides involved, aluminium start corrodes -it takes time (months) and the wrist is not sweaty all the time unless you use it when working out.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
yes, aluminium has this feature, but the feature is gone when salts are around. there are lots of studies coupling these two metals and when chlorides involved, aluminium start corrodes -it takes time (months) and the wrist is not sweaty all the time unless you use it when working out.
I wear the sports bands if I'm going to work out, so that may be part of why I'm not seeing any issues. Others have reported that on their website Apple shows the stainless Milanese as compatible with the Aluminum watch, so I would imagine Apple has tested this configuration to some degree.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I wear the sports bands if I'm going to work out, so that may be part of why I'm not seeing any issues. Others have reported that on their website Apple shows the stainless Milanese as compatible with the Aluminum watch, so I would imagine Apple has tested this configuration to some degree.

yeah, that was why i was asking it because i saw it that they offer bands to mix them together... i quess they think that people have differend kind of bands for differend purposes. It is not a big issue in a ”dry” environment because aluminium even tends to resist corrosion naturally (forming a thin oxidized layer to protect the rest of the metal). but.. there are already youtube vids where people go to take a shower with their milanese band and apple watch 4.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
A discussion just happened where someone reports Apple has confirmed that the stainless steel Milanese bands are ”stronger than the aluminum watch body” and could bend the body. Supposedly you shouldn use this combo. The person said they confirmed this with Apple (two sources). So is it true they can bend the watch and that this is NOT covered by AppleCare?? I’m having trouble believing this, but searches have turned up nothing.

Agreed, I don't know how that could even be possible. It's not a stainless steel hammer, its super thin and the watch is really thick. Maybe they're thinking of the steel link bands? I don't have that so maybe it's possible with that (but I doubt it) :)

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

I know I’m a bit late to the discussion. It here goes.

What I think might be happening here is someone misheard. The band most definitely will not bend the aluminium body. What might happen and is very possible, and has happened even to the stainless model, is that the space black Milanese loop is coated with DLC (diamond like coating) which as the name implies is as strong as a diamond.

Being that the Milanese loop is very flexible, it can scratch the underside of the watch, if not being very careful when you lay the watch down. What owners of these loops have been doing is laying the watch on its side, so that the loop doesn’t come in contact with it.

Hopefully this answers your question, and lays to rest, any nonsense that the loop will bend the aluminium watch.

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2014
I have a grey aluminum. It looks fantastic with a stainless gold, stainless silver, stainless black and stainless coffee brown Milanese loop.

I've gotten tons of compliments.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I'd rather have a steel watch and a sport band than an aluminum watch and a steel band...
Steel watch and a sport band is way more expensive than an aluminum watch and a steel band.

I am an Architect and through my long career the following rule was followed: Despite the dissimilar metals and risk of corrosion, stainless steel screws are the recommended fastener for aluminum panels. Therefore the risk of corrosion between an aluminum watch and a stainless band is a non-issue.

I prefer the look of the silver Milanese one even though my watch is space gray. I use this combination.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.