Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weatherfront

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
United Kingdom
I'm not really familiar with these hyperlocal weather apps anymore, but I recall using an app called "Dark Sky" way back when. What's changed since then (e.g. are the forecasts more accurate, or are there any new features you've added)?

Thanks for your question! Apologies for not replying sooner - I've just started a new job and moved into a new house so it's been a (very!) busy few weeks!

Yes, you're right - Dark Sky was one of the first "hyperlocal" weather apps. The developers also created Forecast.io, the weather service that powers Weather Front. When the service was developed into an API in 2013, it used 16 different data sources. As of today, it uses 19 different data sources making it even more accurate! Currently, hyperlocal minutely rainfall predictions are only available in the US, UK, Ireland and parts of Canada. Dark Sky's website says they are "actively working to expand our coverage" so we'll have to wait and see!

When developing Weather Front, my goal was to use this really accurate data and present it in a beautiful, intuitive way!

If you have any other questions, fire away! :)

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks! :)

Weather Front currently doesn't have a widget in version 1.0. However, this feature is on my ToDo list and I will be adding it into the app in a future update. :)

Off the top of my head, I will look to show the following things in the widget:
- Current Location
- Current Temperature
- Current Weather Icon (e.g sun, cloud etc)
- Rainfall graph (if there is any precipitation forecast in the next hour.) or perhaps a rainfall summary (e.g "Light rain starting in 12 mins.")
- Hourly forecast 'graph' for the remainder of the day.

If you have any other suggestions for what you would like to be shown, please say! :) Thanks!

Take a look at the BeWeather app for an idea of how configurable you can make this app. It looks good so far, but it's lack of configurable options will severely limit its adoption rate. As I said, it looks like a really good start... looking forward to seeing what it can do for the widget screen and the Watch.

weatherfront

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
United Kingdom
Take a look at the BeWeather app for an idea of how configurable you can make this app. It looks good so far, but it's lack of configurable options will severely limit its adoption rate. As I said, it looks like a really good start... looking forward to seeing what it can do for the widget screen and the Watch.

Thanks for your comments! :)

The widget was implemented in v1.1 and there is an update coming soon with a few changes to it! Attached is a screenshot of the widget in it's current form!

Attachments

• Dribble_Widget.png
    Dribble_Widget.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: AZhappyjack

weatherfront

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
United Kingdom
v1.2 has just been released to the App Store :)

New to v1.2, improvements to the app's widget:
- View the hourly forecast for the next 24 hours.
- Space saving - precipitation graph hidden if no precipitation is forecast.
- Tap on the widget to open the app.
- Improvements to the frequency of refreshes.

If you have any problems or ideas to improve Weather Front, don’t hesitate to get in touch. Also, if you have a spare few minutes, a review would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)

Reactions: AZhappyjack

weatherfront

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
United Kingdom
Just updating the thread to say a free trial of Weather Front is now available (albeit, limited to 1 forecast per 24 hours)!. An in-app purchase can be purchased to unlock unlimited forecasts!

Thanks and have a great Christmas! :)

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
This is probably the most ridiculous idea I've experienced. I downloaded your app to see how I liked the interface and I can't get past this screen. Immediate delete. Definitely not going to pay for something I can't even try out.

IMG_0781.PNG

Reactions: GIZBUG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.