Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Just wondering if it's me or a general problem. I'm finding that the website is slower to respond than normal. I think it started yesterday. For example, just now my alerts would not list. I am using Safari. I tested Firefox briefly and also get some lagging.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
This site seems to run very slowly on Safari occasionally, but not in any other browser.
Are you using iCloud Private Relay? If so, that would probably explain why. (Private Relay only works in Safari.)

Reactions: rm5

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
I don't use Private Relay. I'll use the site for a while in Firefox and see if it's as severe there.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
I've been using Chrome for a bit. I'm seeing delays. I'm not seeing any delays on other websites.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
It took 5 seconds after clicking "Post reply" on my last post till it finished posting. That was done in Chrome.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I'll pursue it on my end. If I discover anything I'll report back.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
I am interacting with this site using IPv6. This could be an ISP problem. Comcast can be flakey with IPv6.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Don't think I've seen it with MR, but seeing on other websites with Safari on Mac (17.4.1), and to some extent Safari on iPadOS (17.4.1). Sites will just hang when loading, and if I re-enter the URL, will load normally.

And not all sites: Facebook, DuckDuckGo, cable company's website seem to be most frequent culprits.

So, wondering if maybe a Safari bug re rendering and or parsing/reading website data?

Reactions: Freedom1 and rm5

Freedom1

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2020
I have been having issues with Safari just hanging when loading sites, as though the connection was lost. However, if I wait about 30 seconds, it usually starts working again. Having no such problems with Firefox or Brave. This has been going on for month and it is frustrating because I use Safari to bookmark research for work.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
In my case I'm pretty sure it was an IPv6 problem and occurred in all browsers.

I had to reboot my router for an update the other day. Sure enough, IPv6 stopped working. While it was down, I was accessing MacRumors easily with IPv4, with no delays. Eventually, on its own, IPv6 started working again. Now MacRumors is fine on IPv6, no real delays.

Xfinity is inconsistent with their IPv6 support.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Not an IPv6 problem. I disabled it and I'm still experiencing delays. Whenever the delays get bad, I fire up Chrome and confirm there are delays in that browser as well. I experience delays on multiple computers: two MacBook Pros and a Windows desktop.

I suppose there could be some larger networking problem at my location. However, MacRumors is the only site for which I'm experiencing delays and I work at my computer for over 8 hours a day, very frequently accessing the internet.

The delays seem to be in retrieving images. To the casual observer, it can seem like the page is completely loaded when actually many resources are struggling to download. Here's a screenshot from the developer tools in Safari.

delays.jpg

You can see major delays when retrieving from images.macrumors.com.

I see that this thread that I started is somewhat redundant since the issue is being discussed in https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macrumors-acting-wonky-past-couple-of-days.2418295/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.