Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Great Contest

Congrats to all. apearlman, I think your picture was great - nice concept and beautiful execution. I am not a sports fan, but Shea is an icon that will be missed.

mattyb240, great job judging. It isn't easy.

I shot my picture with a Nikon D50. I think I used the 18-55 kit lens or the 18-200. This is my kid that hates having his picture taken. I got really lucky.

Can't wait for the next topic.

jeffmode

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
Seattle
contest

Thanks mattyb240 - in answer to your question: this was taken at about 6 pm...just before all light in the sky disappeared.

The space needle is obviously a symbol of home for all people of Seattle.

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
Thanks everyone!

Wow, thanks for your very positive and encouraging judging, Mattyb. Sorry it took me a while to check back in with this thread. If I were judging, I probably would have chosen chappers, digitalfrog or alaskamoose's shots, but I guess everyone has their own opinions. Nice work, everyone.

I hope my title wasn't misleading... the person in the photo is my Dad, who is very much still alive. He and I were at Shea Stadium in Queens NY, watching a Mets game on Father's day. ("Home" in this case refers to "home plate" or perhaps the fact that this was a home game.) It was a special game because my 9-year-old nephew caught a foul ball only minutes before this photo was taken. This past winter Shea was demolished to make way for a new stadium. The old building was a dump, but it was full of great memories and my dad and I did, indeed, have fun the day this shot was taken.

3317703905_8ec443e7af.jpg

Some wonderful photos of Shea, taken by other people

I'll post a new thread for this week's photo contest in a few minutes, as soon as I come up with a good theme...

rost12

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
rost12 Where is this shot taken? How do you feel about this apartment? It gives me an entirely different sense of the word home that I wasn't expecting, what is the inside like? Home isn't always a great feeling in all circumstances (no offence meant btw!) depending on the situation or circumstance, and this to me captures a sense of necessity to be there than maybe wanting to? I could be wrong.
Most of the city looks like that or worse. Welcome to Rostov-na-Donu, Russia :) The interesting part is that everyone tries to make their own apartment the best that it can be... cozy, warm, "home sweet home", so hidden behind that door are small oases (oasises? :) ), but then you step outside and you're back in sh#t.

Great contest, good choice on the winning shot, it touched me most as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.