Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Weekly Photo Contest (Aug 8th - 15th): Single Strobe

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Single Strobe

This theme is admittedly a bit selfish as I'm just learning to use a strobe (flash) and I'm really keen to see what everyone here has been able to accomplish with a single strobe, either as the sole light source or to augment the natural/ambient light. On camera or off, with a modifier or not, doesn't matter. While it's not necessary to reveal your secrets, any insights you are willing to reveal about your lighting technique would likely of interest to many, especially me. :)

Good luck!

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
14112_411354813782_672853782_5116838_4565234_n.jpg

I'm choosing to ignore rule 3. Since OP wants tips on how to use his own flash, I think we should concisely explain how we set up the shot.
Canon XSi, 50mm 1.8 II, Flash attached to camera and bounced off a nearby wall.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Rule 3 is intended to keep people from posting their reactions/opinions on other entries so as to not unduly influence the judging. However, photographers can certainly add explanations or descriptive "captions" to their own entries to help explain the photo, their intentions, locations, techniques, etc. or the story behind the picture. That would not be out of line with rule 3 since you're talking about your own photo and helping everyone, including the judge, understand it better.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I literally just got my first "real" flash a few weeks ago and have been learning how to use it. This was with my SB600, hand held above the dogwood and I think the diffuser was on it. Not sure about the power but I didn't adjust anything except the distance that I was holding it from the plant.

p772528895-4.jpg

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Not quite sure if this counts!

I don't actually own a proper flash but a small one that I can use off my Lomo camera that I can fire independently of it!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Underground (VII) /Becky

This photo is from a recent trip to London, me and my girlfriend went to see one of our favourite bands (The Dandy Warhols). We haven't seen each other since June so we spent the entire day travelling around London. We spent a fair amount of time on the underground, this is a homage to a friends photo I once saw, I loved the endless escalator in their photo and really wanted to recreate it myself.

Taken on my Olympus OM40 with a 0.40x Fish Eye Adaptor and Olympus T 20 Flash with baking paper :eek: as a diffuser.

I hope using diffusers are accepted.

Thanks pdxflint, I did always think these contests are like a library, everyone has to stay silent :p

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
hmm.. single flash, on camera, low angle, 105mm macro and strobe mode with the flash.
The whole set up took 10 minutes to set up and exactly 4 frames to shoot. I will answer any questions you have about it after the contest is over :) .. Oh yea f10 @ 1/60th of a sec ad 1/8th of power.

Attachments

• 08_2010_NikonD700v2_ 2.jpg
    08_2010_NikonD700v2_ 2.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 158

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Dum Dum Girls

She is the Drummer for Dum Dum Girls. Shot at The High Dive, Seattle for Back Beat Seattle music review website. She and the rest of the band were in almost complete darkness except for the very dim amber coloured spot lights.

Nikon D50 with a mounted SB-25. Fist time using an external flash

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
MelisaOnASwing.jpg

One off camera strobe pointed at my niece, I used a 3-stop ND and a CPL to get the ambient dark enough for the flash to make the subject pop.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
My grandad on fathers day. Just using the regular flash, but it was in addition to the natural sunlight coming from my left and still preserved the darkness from my right too.

4893490480_ed2485ddf4_b.jpg

ISO 125, 45mm, f/6.3 1/100

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Weekly Photo Contest (Aug 8th - 15th): Single Strobe
On camera or off, with a modifier or not, doesn't matter. While it's not necessary to reveal your secrets, any insights you are willing to reveal about your lighting technique would likely of interest to many, especially me. :)

Good luck!

Am I the only one that understood the contest as meaning an off camera flash- Not a pop up flash or a strobe on camera?

On camera or off, maybe that was why we all 'misunderstood' the rules ;)

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
As it turns out, this is an extremely difficult topic to judge (at least for me). I mean there is such a broad array of uses for Flash as demonstrated here, that it creates a real challenge.

Here are my thoughts when looking at these photos...

Xander562: Very natural looking lighting and one of the challenges to using a flash in my opinion... trying to make it look as natural as possible.

Maxxamillian: Beautiful model and dress with a stunning back drop. It's definitely an eye catching photo. Can you elaborate more on how you lit this?

Davegregory: Very artistic with a pleasant use of depth of field and lighting. Again, can you elaborate on how you lit this?

slieu92: Very cool effect. Interesting idea.

MattSepeta: Well lit and exposed... surprising to me that it's only a single strobe given the lack of any shadows... Is that the umbrella at work?

JDDavis: Awesome color and isolation of the leaves.

acearchie: Cool idea. Yet another way to use a strobe type light source to interesting effect.

Schtumple: Very nice picture and I think you captured the endless escalator well and the lighting is good... it's impossible to tell you used a flash. However I'm not sure about the key-hole effect... was that necessitated by the fish-eye lens?

flosseR: Awesome capture. Did the subject hurt his hand? :)

TRDannic: I really like the soft lighting, the picture gives the dog a lot of characters. Can you let me know how you lit this?

joepunk: That backdrop is a bit distracting and the moment of capture is a bit strange. It's not a very flattering shot of her.

gnd: This strikes me as a very challenging shot to get right. I imagine it probably took a few photos to get this setup and lit the way you wanted. The end result is very effective.

luminosity: Pretty good for pop-up flash... no harsh shadows visible from this angle.

steviem: Really nice lighting. In fact, it's hard to believe you used a flash. If you really did :p , then this is a great blend.

panoz7: Very cool shot.

I think the best portraits belong to steviem and Schtumple.

I think the most challenging shots belong to flosseR and gnd.

I think the best non portrait belongs to panoz7.

Given these 5 great photos, it's really difficult to choose a winner but I'm going to go with the panoz7's shot.

Panoz7, it's up to you to pick a topic for next week and start the thread.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
Great entries this week too...and superb photo panoz 7. JDDavis, I also loved your photo ...great lighting!
Can't wait for new contest!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for judging VirtualRain and great job!

Great entries this week too...and superb photo panoz 7. JDDavis, I also loved your photo ...great lighting!
Can't wait for new contest!

Thanks pukifloyd. On to the next one:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.