Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
yes panoz, congrats great shot and amazing athmosphere.
As to my shot, here is the setup as promised:
sb-900 diffused set to shoot 4 strobes at 1/8th of power. I then used the 105mm macro lens and frames the board. Fired and hit the board with my fist at the same time.

Now, the board was prepped and here is how i did it:
Drill about 3/4 through with a wood drill and space the holes about 3mm apart going all across the width. Then use an axe to hack at the side with the holes until the board is weak. Next use the back of the axe or a hammer and hit the thinned out part. The board will crack and splinter. rip it apart and put it back together, fill the holes and cracks with wood shavings dust and sawdust. Then its just a matter of timing. Because of how the board was cracked it actually is splintered and looks broken, not prepped. You can re-use the board as a prop.

Hope this explanation hasn't bored anyone.. sorry for the lengthy description.

//F

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Ha yeah! You can see the flash in his eyes, fortunately it didn't reflect from his retinas though.

Thanks for the feedback though :) I really enjoy taking photos and hope to be taking a lot more, using these competitions as a motivation to get out and shoot more...

And flosseR, you really put so much effort into that shot, it's really effective :) Panoz' shot was a deserved winner though, love how the weather and the car was captured.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Panoz that was an awesome shot. Care to share how you set it up?

Thanks.

It was actually a very simple setup. I placed a single 580ex about 15 feet behind the car aimed back at the camera and slightly upward. The flash was attached to a gorilla pod and covered by a zip lock bag to keep it from getting wet. I triggered it wirelessly using a cybersync. I don't remember exactly but I believe the power was set at 1/2.

I then selected an aperture and ISO combination to properly expose the falling snow -- In this case f/4 at ISO 800. Finally I varied the shutter speed to keep the headlights from blowing out. As it happens the correct shutter speed was 1/250 which is also my camera's sync speed. Has I needed a faster shutterspeed I would have lowered the ISO and increased the flash power to keep within my sync range.

This photo sort of shows the setup:

The flash is visible behind the car. It was also taken at a slightly slower shutter speed (1/160) resulting in the more blown out headlights.

Please let me know if anything else needs clarification.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Congrats Panoz!!!

VituralRain: Shot setup is pretty simple. Elinchrom Quadra "A" head shooting through a 53" (1.3m) octa. The light was offset from the model at about 45 degrees and shot full power (400w) due to the distance (~7 ft or ~ 2m).

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Schtumple: Very nice picture and I think you captured the endless escalator well and the lighting is good... it's impossible to tell you used a flash. However I'm not sure about the key-hole effect... was that necessitated by the fish-eye lens?

Yeah I wasn't sure how well it would be judged because I used a diffuser, I'm not a big fan of singling a subject out with a flash, sorry if it was a bit obscure as a flash shot. Yeah it was a 23mm wide angle with a 0.40x fish eye adaptor.

Cheers for the comments and congrats to Panoz it's a great shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.