Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marsvolta

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2006
Down by the sea

Attachments

• 3ghEm.jpg
    3ghEm.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 130

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Just beneath a waterfall in Vaujany, France, taken 2 days ago

Attachments

• IMG_5462.jpg
    IMG_5462.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 143

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Beer is mostly water, right? These bottles were in motion pretty shortly after the photo was taken. :D

(clickable)

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
The competition is officially closed as from now. I will post the winner maybe later today or early tomorrow.

Thanks for all the entries !

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I've gone through the whole thread and commented on each Photo. Please don't take any offense of what I''ve said, I'm no professional but I just wanted you to know what I though of your Photo.

jake.f I like how close the photo is, however I think it needs a boost in vibrancy and detail

Maxxamillian I really like what you’ve done with this one. It’s like what you would expect to see on a advertisement. I’m not too sure if the water is from the actual shot or it has been added in, the motion blur in the background really adds to the impact.

flosseR The expression of the girls face with the water coming towards her adds impact to the shot, the shutter speed was set just at the right point so that the water isn’t too blurred.

nomad01 A really good example of street photography or ‘candid’ shots. The people behind the stream of water are slightly distracting but otherwise I like it.

ramases I think that if the photo wasn’t taken ‘ head on’ i.e at a slight angle of looking up then it would have made the water seem as if it’s flowing a little more. It’s a little blurry too but there’s good contrast.

JDDavis I love this photo, everything makes it work for me. The colours are vibrant, the composition is well done in such a confined space and I like the overall feel of he Photo.

iGary The stream which is almost centre of the frame is eyecatching. I would like to see a little more depth in colours and the horizon needs to be aligned so it’s straight.

Chappers I’ve been working on some shot’s similar to this and I know how hard it can be to capture the water just as it hits the bowl. I like the reflection in the water it’s not too distracting but maybe a better timing would provide a better shot so there is a water ‘ bubble’ not just a odd shape.

compuwar The water motion is really nice, and it in the right position in the frame.

Plymouthbreezer I like the concept of your submission, it’s a obvious one to choose but it needs more detail or something to add depth to it.

liljohnny51 The way that you’ve edited your Photo is quite different. Is it HDR? The motion of the water Is excellent but I feel that the person on the right hand side is floating because it’s hard to make out his legs.

sthursby Another good street shot. I think that if you add a little sharpening it will make the Photo better. Possibly editing the orange box on the concrete column would help

mattyb240 I like this shot a lot, I can see it printed out and framed. The contrast works really well with the sunset.

heron88 A good attempt to capture the water falling, but if the shutter speed was a bit faster, then you would have captured more detail.

gnd A really good waterfall shot. The water was captured at a perfect rate and the composition works for me. Excellent.

Freewayjim I like your overall photo, nothing really needs changing, it would be nice to see it larger though.

milkshayne The photo is slightly pixelated but I like the idea. The waves really feel as if they are coming towards you.

jbernie I like the simplicity of this shot, the reflections are good too, as are the colours.

jnxdluck A good black and white shot, but I feel that the dark edge slightly ruins it, you could probably edit it out though.

scott2006
I like how you have got really close to the ground to capture the ‘ underneath’ of the waterfall. I’m not sure if the rock in the foreground is a distracting or not, also the water itself looks over exposed ?

paulg I love the composition of the photo, the clouds add impact, I think the sea needs to be brightened a bit to help the balance of brightness

marsvolta I like the motion of the water, maybe if you add more detail in the rock by dodge and burn, it will make it better.

emorydunn A good abstract photo. I experimented with it and by adding a motion blur with a pixel of 150 and angle of 90. See for yourself if you prefer it but I do, it gets rid of the little specks of water.

jrotunda85 I like the expression on the seals face, the colours are good too. It could do with more detail in areas, but it’s hard to tell as the preview isn’t that big.

mcavjame The leaf looks brilliant ! There’s good detail and good use of a small aperture to make it feel like the water Is coming towards you.

®îçhå®? Another good stream photo. It's good that you got low to the ground to get the sense of how a small animal would have seen it not a human.

emt1 I like your photo, the lines work well, both by the water and the grass etc. The sky could do with some colour.

biomorph I like how the water just appears from nowhere and flows into the rocks. The water looks slightly overexposed which can be fixed, I think cropping the bottom would balance it out better ?

Indydenny Another shot will good expression. The composition if very good.

cookie1105 It looks tasty, but I don’t really know much about food photography. If would look better if the focus plane was more towards the food, rather than the spoon.

object88 A perfect example of Summer ! There’s not much water in frame but I know where you’re coming from.

Joe King Brilliant ! The framing is perfect, the shutter speed is also good, not only with the water but also with the plant in the background.

supergrandma I like the fact that you made this into a black and white photo. The rock that seems to be in focus it good, and the motion of the water really well the add depth.

bld44 You really did a good job of capturing the surfer (?) at the right time, a few seconds later then it wouldn’t have the same affect, lots of action !

shelbais The water is a bit cut off but I like the colours and motion.

TheReef I’ve seen a similar photo printed on quite a few Photography Magazines. The water really feels like it’s coming towards you, the colours are really good too.

3rd Place - Mattyb240

2nd Place - Joe King

1st Place - The Reef Congratulations !. I really like your Photo, it's very similar to the one on a late Photography magazine I bought. The 'warm' feeling is greatly appreciated !

Also worth mentioning :

JD Davis, paulg and gnd, all excellent shots.

Thank you to all who entered.

A List of previous competitions and winners can be found here.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Gotta love TheReef's photo - saw it on the Photo of the Day and when posted here - well it had winner written all over it. A beautiful photo.

I also saw the work that went into Maxxamillian's shot - great PP.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Thanks very much and congrats to the reef a stunning picture! I'm happy with third! Good judging and a good theme! Look forward to the next one!

object88

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Congratulations to The Reef! And I have to say, there are some 'wow!' photos in this thread.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Thanks for selecting mine :)
Congratulations to everyone for entering some very creative photos!

I will post a new thread topic in the next 24 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.