Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
congrats folks!

zeefly that's a great shot + sharp as a tack! What sorta lens was this and how far were you? I'm guessing some sorta 200+ zoom from just through the cage?

Shot with a 100-400L that I hired for a trip to south africa on a 1.6x crop 500D...

That one wasn't in a cage, he was in a huge drive-in enclosure at the park (apparently the park isn't yet mature enough to support the lions roaming totally free as they'd just eat everything) that was as close as he got before we scooted with our tail between our legs! He got seriously close, but the game drivers knew him well enough I guess :confused:

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Well done everyone! Love both the lion shots and cat, it would have been very hard to pick they're excellent. Congrats Pete, zeeflyboy and SmileItIsTravis.

Great shot Dale!, looks almost prehistoric, and yes^ a bit film like.

Great capture as well pdxflint, the expression on the front guy's face is gold :D

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Nice one, PeteB. A worthy winner.

Thanks zeeflyboy and Thereef. Yeah, these folks were about to drop off into a big hole, which most rafts try to skirt around the edge of. They made it through, but not without having to retrieve a couple of their raftmates from the icy water... good times! That guy in the front seems to be thinking, "Oh <expetive deleted>!!" :)

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Clackamas River, Oregon
SCN0126.jpg

Canon EOS A2
Canon 100-300mm
Fujicolor 400 Super G
No other exif available

Wow! It's great to see someone still shooting with Canon A2. I used to own A2E and it was a fantastic camera. Enjoy!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Well, when I saw your shot, I was certain we had a winner! In any case, congrats on a fantastic photo!

Thanks - it was very difficult to shoot because of bad light and it was very windy - with a very shallow depth of field and an nearly invisible spider that I knew must be there, but I couldn't see clearly.

Plus I didn't have a cat in my photo :D :D

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Wow! It's great to see someone still shooting with Canon A2. I used to own A2E and it was a fantastic camera. Enjoy!

Actually, my A2 was a real workhorse 10-14 years ago, and now it mainly gets a comfy place in an old Lowepro bag with three old Canon Ef lenses, a 20-35mm, 28-105 and 100-300, which this shot was taken with. I like to take it out every now and then - still have several boxes of refrigerated Fuji which has held its own, amazingly. I'm now firmly entrenched in the Nikon camp, but until I got my D300 I haven't had a DSLR that actually handled as quickly and reliably as that old A2. I think you can pick one up for under $100 on eBay these days. I'm now looking for a couple of Nikon 35mm bodies, an old mechanical F2 and maybe an F4 to share my vintage Nikkors glass with. Old cameras... ahh, I just love 'em. And the new ones, it goes without saying. ;)

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Actually, my A2 was a real workhorse 10-14 years ago, and now it mainly gets a comfy place in an old Lowepro bag with three old Canon Ef lenses, a 20-35mm, 28-105 and 100-300, which this shot was taken with. I like to take it out every now and then - still have several boxes of refrigerated Fuji which has held its own, amazingly. I'm now firmly entrenched in the Nikon camp, but until I got my D300 I haven't had a DSLR that actually handled as quickly and reliably as that old A2. I think you can pick one up for under $100 on eBay these days. I'm now looking for a couple of Nikon 35mm bodies, an old mechanical F2 and maybe an F4 to share my vintage Nikkors glass with. Old cameras... ahh, I just love 'em. And the new ones, it goes without saying. ;)

You have some great glass to match your A2 with as well, as I noticed. And your location.... We went down to the Oregon coast with my wife earlier this year. What a place for some spectacular photography!

I'm actually just getting back to the DSLR format after I had to sell my gear some time ago while in school. I've been traveling quite a bit for work and so due to space/weight constraints I've been just shooting with a Finepix S100FS crossover camera, which is pretty easy to pack. I've been looking carefully at Nikons and Canons, but I tend to gravitate towards a Canon 7D. Now it's just a matter of pulling the trigger. :) I'm glad you like D300. It is a great camera.

Good luck!

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
I am replying in this thread instead of the other as not to clutter it with non-entry posts.

Zeeflyboy, I assume you meant PeteB as the possible judge, as he was the one who actually one. Nicolasdec is the one who won last week and selected PeteB's photo here! :D

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I am replying in this thread instead of the other as not to clutter it with non-entry posts.

Zeeflyboy, I assume you meant PeteB as the possible judge, as he was the one who actually one. Nicolasdec is the one who won last week and selected PeteB's photo here! :D

PeteB had 48 hours to post the new thread. After that it became zeeflyboy's responsibility. (See the rules for this.)

biomorph

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
Salt Lake City
Clackamas River, Oregon
SCN0126.jpg

Canon EOS A2
Canon 100-300mm
Fujicolor 400 Super G
No other exif available

Hey pdxflint,
I recently bought a canon ae-1 off of ebay...just for fun to try out film photography...never done it before. Did you scan your negative for this picture? I was wondering what your work flow was for film shots.
Thanks

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Wow, I really didn't expect to win this week - there's some really powerful images here.

Sorry I wasn't around to start the next competition - this one was judged just after I left for a couple of days spent with family.

I'm very happy with the new subject though so thanks for getting it started.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Hey pdxflint,
I recently bought a canon ae-1 off of ebay...just for fun to try out film photography...never done it before. Did you scan your negative for this picture? I was wondering what your work flow was for film shots.
Thanks

Yes, it was a scan done with a Nikon Coolscan V. Workflow is pretty simple. I had the film processed at a one-hour establishment (color negative film) and asked them to just sleeve the film, uncut - no prints. Usually it's less than $3.00 where I go. Then, when I get home, I cut the film into 5 exposure strips, and put them in archival negative pages (6 rows x 5 exposures) for archiving in three ring binders. It helps that I have a 4' x 3' light table, but a small table-top light box and a fairly decent film loupe will come in handy in picking out details of each negative and doing some initial editing/elimination.

Then, I scan the negative, doing most adjustments in the pre-scan phase, and when I like what it looks like, complete the final scan into either a .tiff file or a .nef file. Before printing, or exporting for the web (.jpeg,) I do any additional adjustments and sharpening, depending on the size of the image and the intended final output. Basically, it's the same as doing it with my digital camera files once they're scanned into .tiffs. Sometimes I will just do a quick export with Picasa if the image looks decent, other times I'll spend some time in post processing with NX2 or Lightroom or Aperture, depending on the image. I'm still experimenting with all three programs.

Nothing really too complicated or fancy... ;)

BTW: One thing that a lot of people do is have their images scanned and delivered to them on a cd when they have the film processed. Then you don't need the scanner and can skip that part... I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking about giving it a comparison test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.