Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Weekly Photo Contest (Feb 2 - Feb 9)
Rules:

#1 You may submit only one photo per contest.

#2 The contest runs for exactly one week, from the time stamped on the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

#3 Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

#4 The judge will decide his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which again will run for exactly one week.

This week's theme is "Urban Landscape/Street Photography"

Shot me your city shots.

I broadened the topic to include closer, street-style photography as well as general, "big picture" urbanscapes. I'm looking for images that describe some aspect of the personality of your city, or someplace you have visited. Famous landmarks don't get any extra points, but showing them in a unique way probably will.

Use color, black and white, creative use of light or any other form of creative abstraction (blur/contrast/grain/selective color) if it helps define the subject. Feel free to add words to describe the subject or your process.

The bottom line: have fun with it.

I'm looking forward to this weeks entries!

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Fayetteville St.

I'm not 100% sure this qualifies since technically it's not one photo but I figured I'd submit anyway. If it doesn't qualify and needs to be removed let me know.

It's a 500 shot (not a typo) panorama of Fayetteville St. in downtown Raleigh, NC.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
It's a little city, but a city none-the-less.

Attachments

• DSC_0156_2_2.jpg
    DSC_0156_2_2.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 213

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I'm not 100% sure this qualifies since technically it's not one photo but I figured I'd submit anyway. If it doesn't qualify and needs to be removed let me know.

It's a 500 shot (not a typo) panorama of Fayetteville St. in downtown Raleigh, NC.

Yes, it qualifies since it's a single image. It doesn't matter how you make it..:)

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Having gone out to photograph the city from the mountain that I live - I saw this. In my disappointment at all the rubbish, I took just one snap - I don't even know why I took it. No editing - just a picture of how it is sometimes.
3257854660_3372318b24_b.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Chicago Bean.

Chicago's Millenium Park has a polished sculpture called "Cloud Gate" It looks like a big chrome kidney bean. This is Chicago's Loop reflected in the bean..

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1ChicagoBean.jpg
    1ChicagoBean.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 1,204

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
here is an HDR i did recently of the Mansion on my schools campus.

Attachments

• bright_mansion  002.jpg
    bright_mansion 002.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 250

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Historic Downtown Hot Springs, AR

(Can click on image)

"Reserve & Central"

Taken February 6, 2009 @ the corner of Reserve & Central in the Historic Downtown district of Hot Springs, AR (aka, Little Chicago). I got lucky when an old Ford pickup made its way down the street. The truck added to the historic and gritty nature of the shot I was aiming for.

BTW, the 2 level building in the center(ish) of the shot was a bank back in the 1940s (if I have my history right). It's a really good little Italian cafe now with a whole lot of charm.

I added a bit of noise and "grit" to the shot for feel. Hope you guys like!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

I didn't see your PM until today, and tried to PM you back, but you're not accepting PMs. Anyway, here's what I said:

---------------------

Sorry I didn't notice your message at first... and I see you've figured out how to get your pics to display. Just so you know what I do...

When in a message composition box, click on the icon for "insert image" and paste into the dialog box the url of the image (if it's hosted on another site, like picasa or flickr, etc.) The url will look something like this:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_zbn1AZDn-gg/SYjPEbkZZVI/AAAAAAAAHYs/2qKrsZr2268/s800/P1010124.JPG

and will end with .jpg. My example was generated from Picasaweb where my pics are hosted, so your might look a bit different, but the format is the same. "http://hostedname-of-your-photo.jpg"

To attach a pic, just click the paperclip icon, and browse for your image on your computer. It will display a bit smaller, but the displayed image can be clicked on for a larger copy (just make sure it's not huge, try to limit it to 1024 pix wide. You'll have to reduce the size before attaching it with your own photo imaging software.

cheers -phil

I know it gets confusing, so feel free to ask anyone on the photo forums, or check the back threads or FAQ thread.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Thank you Phil

Phil,

Thank you. I attached the thumbnail, displayed it, and then copied in the url from the displayed thumbnail. It doesn't sound like any of these are elegant solutions, but they work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.