Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I think we should have Chappers call the weekly contest a draw and start an new weekly contest. I would say have him judge, but he entered--this would not be fair to him.

But calling it a draw would not be fair to everyone else who entered. If a judge who hasn't entered this one doesn't step forward, then someone else should serve as the judge. I could do it, but only within the next few hours or else in about 24 hours--so perhaps someone else should volunteer. Any volunteers out there?

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
How about this. To keep the momentum going, Chappers can choose the next topic from the unused options from the current Fortnight Challenge which are suggestions from Maxx and myself. I can post a critique but not pick a winner.

The alternate would be that I pick the topic from that list and someone from the judging panel does the critique. Unless a judge from the current list is able to act, we need to move on.

Chappers says he is "standing by", so I assume he is prepared to critique. He is on Brit Time.

The list from the Challenge is:

1. Cozy and Warm
2. Best of...
3. Working 9 to 5
4. Beauty in the ugly
5. Colorful +
6. Black and White
7. Sharp
8. Hard
9. Edible

Someone make a call.

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Dale - you're a gentleman and a scholar - why don't you judge it?

I think we all would trust your call on this.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Dale - you're a gentleman and a scholar - why don't you judge it?

I think we all would trust your call on this.

I second this motion. The real "prize" for the winner is getting to think up a topic for himself and then seeing how people respond to it. And what everyone else gains is a thoughtful critique of their photo.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Emergency Judging

I was going to say I'm sorry for stepping in but I won't. It's more important to keep the creative continuity going with things like the contest and I'm glad I could be helpful.

This was a relatively small contest. The subject called for pictures of people, and that will put the skids on it for a lot of folks who just don't want to post their friends and family on the Net.

All of the serious entries - one is disqualified - were great photos that fit the topic well. Judging was not easy, especially for second and third place.

I had technical problems with the post and had to remove the image links.

Here goes...

Maxxamillian Very nice framing and organization of space going on here as well as excellent light and eye contact. Forming a support network for the young is the essence of teaching and this image conveys that feeling.

MattSepeta Nice use of selective focus and thin DOF. The tip of the fingers and the eyes are all in the same plane of focus. I like the simple primary colors and the child's expression of quiet concentration is appealing. I don't really know if it conveys teaching, but learning is there for sure.

JDDavis The framing of the visual elements that command the frame-the field and path- are well done. There is teaching and learning here, but I think I would rather see it in color. I understand the child looking down but I would like to see the man in the background more involved in the action. But then this is life in the real world, not a studio. Nice keeper for the family.

deep diver Nice capture of happy people. It is hard to assign teacher and student to the shot, though. If the framing were wider and I could see what they were doing it would be easier to critique. And to be honest, I don't know what to say because this is your son and you are my friend. Nice family portrait.

Indydenny Fits the teacher and student bill quite well. Has a nice feel of involvement both on the part of the boy and his dad (I assume). This shot is a victim of not so good light that dulls the image down. If you know how to use Levels in PhotoShop or Elements, it is possible to brighten it up a lot. Make that snow whiter and the blues crisper and it will move to the next level.

designguy79 Wonderful reflection of the innocent curiosity that is the essence of learning. Nice colors. I like the play of the pale green of the shirt with the reflective sheen of the brass and soft skin tones of the child. Very sweet picture. It made me smile and I'm sure it is a favorite in your home album.

Chappers Oh, wonderful, another portrait of a friend's son. Looks like I have to go to the friend bank tomorrow and pick up a few more… All set aside, this is a great photo of a child deep in the explorative concentration that is learning at it's best. Reminds me of myself as a child, always wondering about something I found. The colors are powerful. The blue is bold against the soft field of green in the background. The expression is timeless.

pit29 This has potential but needs a lot of work. Try asking your teacher (if that's who this is) if you can bring your camera in and take photos of him as he prepares his class. There are a lot of potentially great shots in watching what these people do to get ready for their day. You have the basics going here with the subject off to the side, but a bit too isolated for me.

ndstrenge This is a contest. Four entries automatically disqualifies you.

And it looks like…..

3. designguy79

2. MattSepeta

1. Maxxamillian

Maxx takes over from here.

Dale

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
When it looked like I was going to be the judge - well, I'd have chosen these three photos

Conrats to Maxx - always produces quality.

Thanks Dale - job well done and as always - honest.

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
Congrats to Maxxamillian! I knew that was the winner as soon as I saw it.

Big thanks to Dale for the critiques and comments, they are always appreciated here!

My photo was actually a lot more of a "snapshot" than anything, because at the time I was recording a video of this scene with my 5d MkII, and when he stuck his head in like that, I just snapped away. You are right, it is a fave here, and glad it brought a smile to your face!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks to everyone for keeping the contest going. Looking forward to the next one.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Designer Dale - Once again I am impressed, only this time it is not over your expressive abilities readily evident in your work; it is, instead, over your willingness to step in and instruct. The real winner of this week's theme is your post. The kicker is that it doesn't even have an image...:)

I have started the new weekly contest.

Many thanks to those who offered their congratulations and encouragement. This week's topic was challenging. As usual, there were some very nice submissions. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.