Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmileItIsTravis

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2009
Georgia
Deep inside of Case Cave

4292956819_2bf45afe05.jpg

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
bootedbear: Nice shadows and it it wasn't for the textured rug/carpet I don't think I would pay too close attention to another feet/shoes photo.

digitalfrog: Reminds me of the blondish haired robot girl in Blade Runner though more freaky looking. Like some kind of killer clown.

acearchie: Love the atmosphere and hint of grain in the scan. Love the expression in her face, like something is happening or about to happen.

deep diver: Eerie. German Expressionist Style, eh? Reminds me of when I used to make inverted black&white 8x10s from colour slides in the college photography lab darkroom.

nomad01: I'm drawn to the person on the right standing up. I just wish that he wasn't moving so much.

wvuwhat: Again, a very nice image with wonderful textures all around. Kind of eerie to say the least.

slieu92: It's not bad, could be more to it I think. Can't really think of what.

Chappers: I'm drawn to the cigarette. Don't know why, maybe it's because I don't smoke. He sort of reminds me of old people in movies who always has a story to tell that ends with a moral dilemma/choice and the younger who he/she is telling the story to don't get it until the end when they too have to make that same moral choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYp3UUeyOg
Tadek Lokcinski - La Haine ("Grunwalski") Monologue

davegregory: Great mood and texture coming from the brick walls and concrete ground as the light shins on. Plus I like the sepia tone style.

mpr131: Nice framing. The low angle and shadows around the columns gives the image a lot of impact and a touch of mystery, even menace.

JDDavis: A beacon of hope in an otherwise dark and menacing world. Nice use of a vanishing point. Would have loved to see more of the street that the trees are blocking. Don't get me wrong, I love trees and don't mind it if something natural is blocking my view. But sometimes one just wishes that nothing was in the way.

jake.f: I can imagine what it must be like if waves start crashing over the walkway.

Maxxamillian: Very lovely image of a feminine fatale.

Designer Dale: And another very nice photo in the thread. Clouds look great. Obviously I want another minor eruption to occur. I was thinking about make a trip to the volcano in late 2004 when it was smoking but never did, did you?

flosseR: To bad there isn't a few set of tracks that go off into the distance unlike the multiple sets seen here. That said I like the light coming through the trees and casting faint (possibly to faint) shadows upon the snow.

Indydenny: Is this under water? And what were you using to get the shot? Reminds me of what could be an old silent movie scene.

jodelli: Good light and contrast. I like that you managed to get the clouds and the buildings in without losing all of the contrast of the clouds. A lower angle shot would have been nicer instead of a straight on shot.

Razeus: It's a good angle, nicely tight framed giving the image a lot of impact.

pdxflint: Shadows of window blinds fall upon a private eye. Looks like he's waiting for something to happen, a phone call perhaps. The last thing he wants is a case. Oh, and I noticed that the lines on the bed sheets crisscross with the shadows of the blinds.

stridemat: Not bad, I like how the sun outlines the people but it could be more focused on a subject such as one or a few people in the crowd. At first I was thinking that this was in Las Vegas due to the pyramid looking structure in the back. Shame that the rest of the stage was blocking the pyramid so that you couldn't get more of the pyramid shape.

sziehr: Lovely and wonderfully executed.

madazrex: I like the church, maybe the light source is a bit strong on the left side. I also like the idea of using the gravestones near the bottom. Though, I would have cropped out the extra dark at the bottom.

SmileItIsTravis: Um, I hope there is a way out ;) nice and comical.

mattyb240: Another dark and menacing image that is wonderfully framed. I'm drawn to the image of a woman near the bottom who is holding a sword.

liljohnny51: Another nice capture in the thread. I'm thinking of silent movies at the moment, don't know why that is. Is it me or does that look like an eye between the two smoke stacks.

And the Winner is....

Wait for it.....

It's pdxflint with the doggie on the bed and the Venetian blinds.

Runners up are digitalfrog and davegregory

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Wow! Thanks, Joepunk. I'm glad I checked this thread just now... I really didn't expect you to choose my pup shot... there were so many other really, really great noir-ish shots that were deserving.

I'll come up with a new contest topic by morning... the brain's on reserve power at the moment, and I can't think of anything too interesting just yet...

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Wow! Thanks, Joepunk. I'm glad I checked this thread just now... I really didn't expect you to choose my pup shot... there were so many other really, really great noir-ish shots that were deserving.

I'll come up with a new contest topic by morning... the brain's on reserve power at the moment, and I can't think of anything too interesting just yet...

Not surprised at all...beautiful shot! Congrats!!!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Thanks all. I certainly felt any number of entries this week would have been good choices. Next topic is up, and I'm looking forward to seeing some great photos there, too. Cheers. -phil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.