Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I was taking some pictures in the woods behind my house. Skitty followed along and shadowed me. That is her territory, not mine, and she was guarding me. She heard something rustle behind me and went on the prowl.

Skitty-1-B&W.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Just one hour left for this weeks contest!
[doublepost=1485750735][/doublepost]This contest is now closed. I'll be back with the results as soon as I can.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Here comes the feedback. I've kept it brief as I'm not an expert in pet portraiture.

@kenoh Olaf is a crazy looking dog, with that stare. Very cute though!

@stillcrazyman Duncan is photogenic isn't he! I really like the natural pose here. He's perfectly at rest with you taking his photo unlike my cat who gives me the stink eye every time I try.

@MacRy Bob looks great on the white background and I love the eye contact in this image. He has the look of being a wired bundle of energy ready to spring to action here.

@AlexH A fabulous capture of Ani looking out the window at the world going on by. I like the B&W treatment to this image, it does him respect and show his ageing nicely.

@jkramerbob Tali has a nice, natural and alert pose here. Very nicely captured and no colour balance issues that are so often associated with snow images.

@mrkramer I love the colour contrast of Ziva against the sky and snow, it works really well. Her eyes are a tad soft in focus.

@tcphoto1 I'm a sucker for a Pug and this ones delightful, with such crisp detail and the Pug doing what all Pug's do, being adorable.

@Apple fanboy Good to see a bird image in here. I was hoping someone might have a parrot or the like, but I'll accept a spoggy! Very nice detail and a natural pose to this image, well done.

@mpfuchs This is a fabulous portrait of Kenzo and the B&W treatment suits this image perfectly. Really nice and sharp details too!

@JamesMike Millie looks perfectly at home on your chess board. She's a beautiful looking cat. My only suggestion would be to get down lower and at her level for a more engrossing portrait.

@needfx You have managed to capture the neurotic look that Pugs are known for perfectly in this image! Very cute indeed.

@rx7dude Gord has very interesting looking markings on his face and a very friendly stare, not like my cantankerous cat. I think the image is just a tad too dark. I would have liked to have seen just a bit of information on the right side of Gord's face.

@The Bad Guy Bosley is just too cute and chilled out there! I love that little bit of tongue hanging out. Not what I pictured a Bad Guy's dog to be doing.

@Hughmac This is a great portrait of Sam with Gloria. I love the B&W treatment for such an old dog, it works really well in my eyes. I also like that you got down to his level for this eye to eye image.

@Indydenny MacTavish is very cute with that overbite! I like that you also got down to his level for this image. Really nice, sharp details in this portrait.

@CmdrLaForge I did wonder if anyone would post an image of fish! That's a nice healthy looking aquarium here and you managed to get the fish in focus! Which is harder than it seems.

@tcphoto1 Grizelda is quite the cutie! She looks very playful here with this pose. A nice portrait taken down at her level.

@deep diver Skitty definitely looks like she's annoyed with you being there! A very natural pose and I like seeing a cat in the outdoors, especially in a natural setting like this.

Well folks, now for the hard part, the judging of so many cute and adorable pets!

3rd - @needfx
2nd - @The Bad Guy
1st - @MacRy

Honourable mentions (I'm limiting myself to two of these) go to @tcphoto1 and @mpfuchs

Congratulations to all who entered, this was a tough one for me to judge! Now, over to you, @MacRy .

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Here comes the feedback. I've kept it brief as I'm not an expert in pet portraiture.

@The Bad Guy Bosley is just too cute and chilled out there! I love that little bit of tongue hanging out. Not what I pictured a Bad Guy's dog to be doing.
@MacRy .
Sometimes he gets tired from thwarting The Good Guys dog's plans. :D

Thanks for the second place, as soon as I saw @MacRy's shot I knew my entry was in vain.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Lol... Great critique, yes Olaf is a wee fire cracker! His latest party trick is to go into the bathroom and cock his leg on the toilet... as he is only a foot tall, he pees on the outside of the bowl but he is trying right? you cant get angry at him because he is so funny.

He goes to doggy daycare on a Thursday so they can run him ragged and tire him out. Last week he got into a field surrounded by an electric fence and poor John his carer couldn't get to him without taking a belt to the b...s as he tried to get over the fence to him! such a wee character but so tough to train.

Fantastic entries this week. Loved the winning entry. Well done everyone.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Well folks, now for the hard part, the judging of so many cute and adorable pets!

3rd - @needfx
2nd - @The Bad Guy
1st - @MacRy

Honourable mentions (I'm limiting myself to two of these) go to @tcphoto1 and @mpfuchs

Congratulations to all who entered, this was a tough one for me to judge! Now, over to you, @MacRy .

I detect a strong canine bias. Or perhaps, the truth is that the feline persuasion is just not a photogenic lot ... clearly this contest and this thread went to the dogs.

Congrats to all. Good job.

kenoh

macrumors 604
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Thanks for the win :) Mrs MacRy was trying to persuade me to post this photo as she said he looked sad in the one I submitted

30703700991_a04031a700_h.jpg

As it was dog heavy here is a picture of my cat Chewy for balance

30184658513_1de4677625_h.jpg

I'll get another contest up in a little while.

Personally I really liked Bosley :)

EDIT:
[doublepost=1485803916][/doublepost]New contest is up.
Totally should have posted that one of Bob... Working up a sweat like a boss!

Last edited:
Reactions: MacRy and needfx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.